The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Something to watch, as I know how many people on here love their risky oil companies, is Northern Petroleum. At their current share price they are already cheaper than their net assets and their is vague speculation of a takeover bid from shell.

Is this potentially a win-win buy? If there is a takeover, your in for a huge profit; if not, the shares surely cannot fall any lower since they plainly undervalue the company.
blatchcorn
Something to watch, as I know how many people on here love their risky oil companies, is Northern Petroleum. At their current share price they are already cheaper than their net assets and their is vague speculation of a takeover bid from shell.

Is this potentially a win-win buy? If there is a takeover, your in for a huge profit; if not, the shares surely cannot fall any lower since they plainly undervalue the company.

Can you provide the evidence of what their assets should be? Im reading market cap as 86.6m

Also I have been looking at GCM and that was an interesting article. One could argue it is only a matter of time with nearly a 30% shortfall in power output but still seems quite risky due to the uncertainty to me (Unless I can be shown otherwise).
Mitchy0283
Can you provide the evidence of what their assets should be? Im reading market cap as 86.6m

Also I have been looking at GCM and that was an interesting article. One could argue it is only a matter of time with nearly a 30% shortfall in power output but still seems quite risky due to the uncertainty to me (Unless I can be shown otherwise).

No I can't provide evidence, but the times has referred to Finncap - a stockbroker - who told clients that they were trading at an 18% discount to assets.
Reply 1983
About Northern Petroleum...

Net assets is the same as equity - so the value of equity on the book is £73.7m divide this by no. of shares which is 78,987,248 - this gives a book value of around 93p...the discount has disappeard, maybe something to do with it being in the times, lol...besides book value of equity is a bad way to value a company, accounts are done for credit ratings not equity valuations i.e the way the assets are valued is unhelpful to say the least.

Also the company has around 15m in cash, i don't know what cash oil companies usually need for operations but that sounds like a lot, so some fraction of the 18p of cash will be wasted value (15m divided by the no of shares). The other thing would be how the reserves are valued, what price for oil they are assuming and are inc. unproven reserves. It looks like they don't include unproven reserves tho, this is probablly the reason why it should trade over book. Another factor is between this year and last year they spent a ******** on new PPE, probablly oil/gas fields or whatever they do and this was financed from internal cash.

All the info is taken from FY09 report btw, oil companies usually do more frequent reports but i don't know if they include accounts. Hope that helped though.

market cap is share price*no. of shares outstanding, so it is the markets valuation of the business equity (equity=assets-liabilities=net assets)

http://www.northpet.com/investors/index.html
Has anyone looked at BPC? They undertook a seismic survey over a month now, so I'm guessing results will come out fairly soon? Not looking good at the moment though - SP has been dropping day after day and there was a fairly large director sell recently...
Reply 1985
Mustard-man
Has anyone looked at BPC? They undertook a seismic survey over a month now, so I'm guessing results will come out fairly soon? Not looking good at the moment though - SP has been dropping day after day and there was a fairly large director sell recently...

Yeah I've got some but not very much at all. Bought them at 4.25p so think I'm about 25% down atm. I'll hold on to them though (and may even top up if it drops much lower and I have spare cash) as long term nothing has really changed imo.

Director sells are never good but he still has 2/3 of his original holding and if it was bad that would be an illegal sell (and I'm sure he would have sold more in any case if it was that bad).

hangmanh
fellow pi's need ur view on LLOYD extreme short term.
got in today with 12k shares, after reading HSBA and BNP results.
i am hoping to make a grand in 2days time,(results out on wedneday) and get off, is it possible considering the results of the whole sector is looking very promising.

Nice profit announced today (£1.6bn) :yy:
HOIL paying £1 special dividend, ex-date is august 13. so get in whilst you can.

glad that lloyds put up a bumper profits, but sure i wasn't expecting £1.6 bill, i was looking around £1bill, looks like i will have to stay untill BARC and RBS announce their results. a further boost to the SP.
Reply 1987
hangmanh
HOIL paying £1 special dividend, ex-date is august 13. so get in whilst you can.

glad that lloyds put up a bumper profits, but sure i wasn't expecting £1.6 bill, i was looking around £1bill, looks like i will have to stay untill BARC and RBS announce their results. a further boost to the SP.

Nice. If you buy in before 13th August, then when is the earliest date that you can sell at and still get the dividend. Also, when the dividend is paid, the share price will drop won't it?
Cortez
Yeah I've got some but not very much at all. Bought them at 4.25p so think I'm about 25% down atm. I'll hold on to them though (and may even top up if it drops much lower and I have spare cash) as long term nothing has really changed imo.

Director sells are never good but he still has 2/3 of his original holding and if it was bad that would be an illegal sell (and I'm sure he would have sold more in any case if it was that bad).

Always “average down” and buy more shares in one you’re already losing badly on as you may end up breaking even.
Reply 1989
Matty919
Always “average down” and buy more shares in one you’re already losing badly on as you may end up breaking even.

That's good if it starts going up, but if it carries on falling then you're screwed!
Milch
Nice. If you buy in before 13th August, then when is the earliest date that you can sell at and still get the dividend. Also, when the dividend is paid, the share price will drop won't it?

u can sell after aug 13, last date to get in is next friday. pay date is aug 27.
i dont think we will see a massive drop after the ex-date, since it is a special one. i is rooting around a 50p drop after div, trick is to buy now rather than on aug 13 as PI will start buying when ex date start will come nearer, which will boost the SP, hence u won't be worse off, besides HOIL does have one of the best assets. even if it falls by a £1, sp will be bk up again, since it will be too cheap, if u have an extra 4.6k just pop in for 11-12 days.
Reply 1991
Matty919

Or you may end up losing even more ...
pyc has rose a bit today, anyone now why?
Ugh! Has anyone had to transfer shares from one broker to another? I've been waiting for about a month to discover HSBC (where I have two stocks) have not received a request from my new broker, III.co.uk Another request is going out tomorrow, but this process seems so lengthy and I feel powerless over whats happening.
blatchcorn
Ugh! Has anyone had to transfer shares from one broker to another? I've been waiting for about a month to discover HSBC (where I have two stocks) have not received a request from my new broker, III.co.uk Another request is going out tomorrow, but this process seems so lengthy and I feel powerless over whats happening.

Im afraid not but I have just set up an account with III.co.uk, how long did it take for them to get back to you after the initial registration? Also are you pleased with their service so far? Thanks!
Mitchy0283
Im afraid not but I have just set up an account with III.co.uk, how long did it take for them to get back to you after the initial registration? Also are you pleased with their service so far? Thanks!

My password came in the post a few days after registering. And I am very, very pleased with their service - hence, I am transfering all my holdings to them.
Mitchy0283

I registered last Friday and got all the stuff through today.

I've been told this about the shares I want:
This particular stock , which I thought it may be, is an OTC (over the counter only) therefore not available on any exchange

Will it impact me in any way?
BP is motoring up again. My £5 target is nearing.
Reply 1998
gkp is booming 11% up
Its crunch time for those watching GCM. Bangladesh PM has an important meeting on monday concerning energy. http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/more.php?news_id=108107&date=2010-08-05

Because of time-zones, tomorrow could be investors' last chance to buy the shares before they jump - providing there is good news.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending