The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6960
Original post by Maccees
I'm still holding on GKP, just wish my average wasn't 3.25 :lol:

Lets just say i have invested alot in GKP, give it time, things will come through in the end. If theres one company i have faith in, its GKP.
Reply 6961
as soon as rrl comes close to me breaking-even, im out. Biggest flop of a company, management is absolute ****e
Reply 6962
Thoughts on LLOY?...Don't mind having a shot for the long term (5 Years + )

Short term, looking at Lamprell, seem to be picking up as has been touched upon earlier in the thread, just maybe seeking one more piece of good news, but opinions?

AAPL, seem to have fell a fair chunk from their high of 705 circa, losing circa 25% of that already within 6 months, and with the holiday season, as well as various product launches such as the Macbook/iMac line, as well as the iPhone 5/iPad Mini, thinking of taking a shot, as financials come out on jan 23rd I think.

Btw, just set my self select stocks and share ISA with Halifax online, any good? Fine I am guessing on the whole right?

Thanks
Original post by vn2009
Any of you lot still in GKP, RRL, HER or XEL....any thoughts for this year?

I'm still in HER and XEL, can't see anything decent happening this year, at least not in the first half
Reply 6964
Original post by GGecko

Short term, looking at Lamprell, seem to be picking up as has been touched upon earlier in the thread, just maybe seeking one more piece of good news, but opinions?

The banking sector has been looking strong the past half year as most of the target was focused on the US economy. Now that there fiscal problem is sorted I think the UK will be next targeted. I myself hold quite a bit in Lloyds, RBS and Barclays. RBS and Lloyds are still mainly owned by the government, where as Barclays is free from all that and the strongest in my opinion. Saying that Lloyds has been making money, a profit on there latest balance sheet so things are looking good and they have mentioned paying back the government already. I think Bank stocks are a very good Buy at the moment, but only for the long term! By long term at least 5 years. The politicians have too much control over the UK banking sector which can sometimes drive sentiment down.

Lamprell have a financial report due out at the end of this month I believe. Recently there bankers waived some of there debt and they also refinanced which put them into a better position with more cash flow. Order book is full. Depending on there report at the end of this month they could double in price. If it's bad, they could go down as well. I believe the report should be good as the banks have obviously refinanced there debt for good reasons. We shall see!
Reply 6965
Original post by GGecko

AAPL, seem to have fell a fair chunk from their high of 705 circa, losing circa 25% of that already within 6 months, and with the holiday season, as well as various product launches such as the Macbook/iMac line, as well as the iPhone 5/iPad Mini, thinking of taking a shot, as financials come out on jan 23rd I think.

Btw, just set my self select stocks and share ISA with Halifax online, any good? Fine I am guessing on the whole right?

Thanks

Agree with previous guy, I'm holding LLOY and BARC ultra long. Will be topping up in the next round of euro sceptisism. AAPL might rise again but was it overvalued in the first place ?
Reply 6966
Original post by GGecko

Very bad from the view of it being expensive. About a .6% per year "admin charge" (less if you've got a 20k+ portfolia as it caps at £120 a year) and £11.95 per trade is fairly expensive.
Reply 6967
Don't know about any of you here, but I just invest as a student, ISAs are pretty lame with the amount of money being held haha.
Reply 6968
Original post by GeoLoggy
Don't know about any of you here, but I just invest as a student, ISAs are pretty lame with the amount of money being held haha.

Only good thing about a ISA, which I have mentioned before, is all profits made are not liable to be taxed. Where as investing into shares through a broker, all profits should (don't have to) be taxed. Obviously if you don't work up to your annual income threshold and don't make a lot it's fine, if you are, a ISA is a good idea. You can invest in individual shares within one. I just find you don't have that much control over it, some are better than others as well.
Reply 6969
Totally true, agree with you there :smile:
Reply 6970
To those of you who invested in Lamprell mid-2012, Congrats, looking fineeeee :smile:

GL
Reply 6971
Original post by GeoLoggy
To those of you who invested in Lamprell mid-2012, Congrats, looking fineeeee :smile:

GL

Still not a bad time to Jump in, in my opinion. They are more than capable of doubling there price within the next year, if not a within half a year.

Anyone looked at SIG, bought into them couple weeks ago, rose 20 pence since being bought and good results reported today. Wondering on others thoughts?
Can anyone see anything happening with Herencia Resources (HER) anytime soon?
Reply 6973
Original post by Chris_23
Can anyone see anything happening with Herencia Resources (HER) anytime soon?

It's hard to tell, and with a share price like that, I am not open to comment haha
Reply 6974
Sry to be a pain. I was thinking of buying some stocks. But I'm not 100% sure how this would work? I've used my ISA-cash for this year, so does that mean I can use another £5,640 for shares?

Maybye a stupid question? How do I buy shares? Do I just open an account with e.g. Halifax Self-Select Stocks & Shares ISA and it is simply sign in, select company from a list enter amount and click buy?
Original post by DCP11OC
Sry to be a pain. I was thinking of buying some stocks. But I'm not 100% sure how this would work? I've used my ISA-cash for this year, so does that mean I can use another £5,640 for shares?

Maybye a stupid question? How do I buy shares? Do I just open an account with e.g. Halifax Self-Select Stocks & Shares ISA and it is simply sign in, select company from a list enter amount and click buy?

You can buy shares by creating an account with a broker, I use www.iii.co.uk although due to the fees I'll be changing very soon. You'll want an execution only broker (you put in an order to buy/sell, and they do it without advising you basically).

ISA limits only come into play if you open an ISA account with a broker. If you open a "normal" trading account then you can put in as much money as you like. The benefit of an ISA account though is that you don't have to pay tax when you withdraw any profit you've made. If you have already used up this years allowance though then you will have to wait until you get the next allowance.

Buying shares is basically that simple yes, you will log into your trading account, find the company you want to buy shares in, and put in a buy order. In a liquid stock, you will receive the shares within seconds. It can take varying amounts of time though depending on the stock, from minutes to hours if nobody else wants to buy a companies shares.
Reply 6976
Original post by DCP11OC

Halifax is expensive.
Look here for a guide to brokers.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3153942
Reply 6977
Unless apple increase market share, via phones for different ppl, that is mid range phones, they are unlikely to reach their previous highs
If apple release their TV at some point this year then buying now is definitely a good option, I guess we'll see how their earnings report is next week.
Reply 6979
Original post by venenecinema
If apple release their TV at some point this year then buying now is definitely a good option, I guess we'll see how their earnings report is next week.

No offence, but nothing is definite. Even if they do release a new Apple TV, a reflection in the share price isn't inevitable. Apple needs to innovate as they have in the past, hence increasing their potential market share and seeing a rise in revenue. Only then can we comment on the SP.

GL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending