The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigd1984
Eur/jpy eur/chf and aud/usd seem to be at a yearly low. Worth investing???? What do u think

Original post by JayReg
I don't touch forex with a barge pole. Basically gambling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Over2you
Agree.

The only currency pair anyone should be trading at the moment EUR/USD. Probably the most obvious trade on the market.

Perfectly fine to talk forex here but there was an attempt to create a megathread some time ago so you might get more interest quoting people in there..

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2672696&page=5

Original post by Wall Street
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get started in investing? I'd like to invest in stocks, but I'm not sure how to ensure I select the best companies - what kind of research do you do before you invest? And do you know of any good books/tutorials on investing, for beginners?

Learn to read company accounts. Read some investment related books like 'The intelligent investor' (Warren Buffet swears by this) in addition to others..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intelligent-Investor-Definitive-Investing-Practical/dp/0060555661

Quote some people from the previous pages of this thread for more info.
Aud/nzd looks a good bet today what do you think? Also eur/jpy looks decent. Worth a punt?
Eur/aud on the majors market looks a fantastic bet today. Any takers???
Eur/nzd and eur/aud looks like a fantastic bet today. Any thoughts???
Aud/nzd???? Looking like a good bet
Vodafone apparently looking to buy Liberty Global.
Original post by Rakas21
Vodafone apparently looking to buy Liberty Global.

Worth a punt on buying into Liberty Global?
Original post by itsmyname
Worth a punt on buying into Liberty Global?

I don't know enough about the business or where it operates. Just that it would increase Vodafone's market capital by around a third.
Original post by bigd1984
Eur/nzd and eur/aud looks like a fantastic bet today. Any thoughts???

What program/software/website do you trade on?
FTSE looking to open down over 2% on Greek capital controls.
Gonna wait for this dust to settle and buy some quality stock ie rolls royce etc on Leveraged platforms. The market has one more leg up till the inevitable crash next year imo.
Good news for you investors on here..

£5k dividend threshold (tax free dividend income below that)
7.5% tax afterward if your a basic rate taxpayer
What are people's thoughts on Agrekko plc. Their shares plunged to around 1204p because of shortfall in revenue from not being able to secure large contracts in Bangladesh and concerns from oil in Africa.

It normally trades around 1400-1500 year round...

Buy the dip or wait
Original post by Killuminati1989
What are people's thoughts on Agrekko plc. Their shares plunged to around 1204p because of shortfall in revenue from not being able to secure large contracts in Bangladesh and concerns from oil in Africa.

It normally trades around 1400-1500 year round...

Buy the dip or wait

Falling revenue would be a no from me. I want to see revenue growth, capital investment and preferably a large profit margin.
FTSE now down towards 6500. Pretty cheap.
Official bear market. FTSE now below 6200.

Prime buying opportunity although i'd expect continued declines for now.
The more they drop the more people sell, it's going to continue this way until there's a crash.
This is possibly the worst market overreaction seen since 9/11 possibly. It possibly indicates that investors have still not recovered mentally from the Great Recession.

China is slowing and that will certainly hurt global commodities but it's economy is not under serious threat of recession.

I hope the Fed stay the course and raise rates, we need an act of confidence from them to stop this rout.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending