Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
python38
Quoted so I can find this extremely useful post if I get in next year
I'm going to copy that into onenote. :awesome:
Reply 21
Thanks fumblewomble.
Reply 22
** subscribes ** PS not actually a cambridge student, but theres some useful tips in here!
Reply 23
Very useful tips but sounds that the workload will be huge, donno if i can cope with it
Reply 24
iabluebell
Very useful tips but sounds that the workload will be huge, donno if i can cope with it

You will --- everyone does manage it, somehow!
Reply 25
On the subject of porters... how exactly does one make friends with them?

Speaking as someone who's quite accident-prone and very forgetful, I think I may need their powers of leniency!
Reply 26
Geritak
On the subject of porters... how exactly does one make friends with them?

Speaking as someone who's quite accident-prone and very forgetful, I think I may need their powers of leniency!

I presume they're meaning being polite and not treating them like slaves, rather than you having to bake them cakes
Reply 27
aKarma
I presume they're meaning being polite and not treating them like slaves, rather than you having to bake them cakes

Aww, shucks. :p:

I had the icing planned and everything. :frown:
Our porters were always being given cakes and sweets and brownies and stuff like that. Its certainly puts you on their good side, which is no bad thing! Definitely stay on the good side of the porters, they are the most useful people to get to know.
Geritak
Aww, shucks. :p:

I had the icing planned and everything. :frown:

My Mum has already suggested that I buy a present for my 'bedder'.
Be nice to the porters, and be suitably apologetic when you've done something muppetly. You'll be glad you were nice to them when you've locked yourself out of your room in a towel at 11 PM. :smile: Ditto the bedders. Stock up on biscuits, tea and such as soon as you get here. They're great for meeting people. Similarly, for the first week I always stick a note on my door with my name and an invitation to knock and come and talk to me. It's helped me meet people. :smile:

I personally recommend unpacking ASAP. Stumbling around in an unfamiliar room strewn with half-unpacked suitcases can be hazardous. :tongue: Check your Hermes account and pidgeonhole. Every day. At least. Otherwise you miss vital things and your supervisors, DoS and basically everybody gets cross with you. :rolleyes: And yes, adjust your grade expectations. You will almost certainly feel that everyone is smarter than you. This is normal, and most of them feel the same way. :wink:
Reply 31
hyper-little-mushroom-men
Similarly, for the first week I always stick a note on my door with my name and an invitation to knock and come and talk to me. It's helped me meet people. :smile:

Sounds like a good idea, that - I don't think I'd have thought of it.

Mind if I copy? :p:
Geritak
Sounds like a good idea, that - I don't think I'd have thought of it.

Mind if I copy? :p:

Go for it! :biggrin: 'S why I posted it.
subscribes*
Fleurvert
My Mum has already suggested that I buy a present for my 'bedder'.

As your Mum's 'bedder', I can verify that presents are well appreciated.
Do you have any advice for people who suddenly feel the world is open and aren't sure that they're doing the right subject? If so, I'm listening.

Although I think I have reassured myself I am doing the correct subject now...
leala4628
Do you have any advice for people who suddenly feel the world is open and aren't sure that they're doing the right subject? If so, I'm listening.

Although I think I have reassured myself I am doing the correct subject now...

You can always slog it out for a year and switch -> it's what loads of people (inc me) do. Otherwise you can drop out :cookie:
Reply 37
Take a door wedge. When you're in your room prop the door open and people will stop by and chat - it's a great way to get to know the people living around you and make friends. Plus I hate sitting in a room on my own with the door shut - even now as I go into fourth year my room is generally open all day every day when I'm in.
bubbles50
Changing from economics to maths is, I'm guessing, nigh-on impossible?

also *subscribes* (using the drop down of course :tongue: lol)

Maths and medicine are the two hardest/impossiblest subjects to switch into.

Do you have STEP 2/3, and what were your UMS in F. Maths? If you have any chance of switching it is before getting there, and you will need a lot of proof.
Reply 39
Thanks for the really useful tips, everyone!

I thought I might use this thread to ask a bunch of questions that have been on my mind. Please feel free to pick and choose whichever ones you want to answer.

1. I've heard that you can't use libraries at colleges other than your own. Is this true? If so, does it make it really difficult to get all your course books? Do people generally end up buying most of their books?

2. Is it the norm to bring laptops to lectures, or do most people use notebooks?

3. How much interaction is there between colleges? For instance, are you allowed to go to other colleges' dining halls or chapels, or do you need to be accompanied by someone who lives there? I love really old churches and chapels, and would love to attend services at as many as possible.

4. Is it feasible to be involved in 2 - 3 extracurriculars/societies and still keep up with course work, or is it advisable to just pick one and stick to that?

Thanks, everyone!!

Latest

Trending

Trending