The Student Room Group

Making hi-fi speakers from car speakers

Firstly i gotta ask is this possible?????

I want to buy some 6*9 speakers then build the casing around them. Building the casing shouldn;t be a problem but there's no point doing this is the speakers don't work rite!!!!

So what exactly would I have to do? What do you get in the box along with the speakers? Is there anything to connect it to an AC supply or do i have to by a seperate amp? by the way what exactly does the amp do??? I wanted to buy decent speakers for my hi-fi but therz no where that sells them seperately....and i don't want a sub either.

Any advice would be great....thanks

p.s. i know some of u must be thinking wot a f*****g amateur!!...but hey how am i meant 2 know!!!Lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The amp amplifys the signal (Increases) so that the speakers actually do something

I wanted to buy decent speakers for my hi-fi but therz no where that sells them seperately

You've obviously been looking in the wrong places then
Reply 2
Lol, dont bother building a speaker. Especially out of ICE components? What gave you such an idea?

And how can you not be able to find a hifi supplier?!
RicherSounds?
Superfi?
Hifibitz.. etc

This is probably an overkill for your "hifi", but these are the speakers I have recently bought. They cost £400 1 year ago, but are in clearance due to the new Aelite line. So they are an absolute steal for £70.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/products/bstock.htm

Can you give some indication of what system you are using?
If its a nasty all-in-one job from Argos, dont bother getting the speakers above.
Reply 3
The reason i wanted to make my own speakers is because i wanted some that would deliver really powerful base whilst costing relatively little....I've seen some 6*9's on this site and ther pretty cheap...i figured it would be easier to make my own casing and wire them up to my computer infact....

However as i sed before is this possible without an amp??? can i just wire them up to the mains or wot?? I'm sure I can get decent power from my comp cos i've got a mate who somehow wired up his sub to his comp and it sounds wiked but i dunno if he used an amp?

any advice would be great

p.s. here's the site for the 6*9's
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4194&cadid=03f9201d1d5795a1d3cdd1b35f04e61a
If you were connecting them to a hi-fi system, then you shouldn't need an amp. I've not used 6x9s before, but if they're the same as standard car speakers then they will just have 2 terminals on - similar to normal hi-fi speaker inputs.

Most PC speakers are 'active' speakers - this means that they have amplifiers built into them. It's more than likely you would need to amplify the output of your sound card before feeding it to the 6x9s. You can get a build-it-yourself amp kit from somewhere like Maplins if you insist on carrying out this mad plan, but like someone else said - just buy a speaker kit already made!
Reply 5
Lol kool thanks for the help.....

yea it is a mad plan i suppose but hey it'll give me something to do over the summer before i got off to uni!
Reply 6
I seriously recommend you dont make your own speakers! It will be a waste of your money and time.
Speakers are very very complicated to build. Its not just about buying a cone, and building a square box! You need to take into account the drivers Vas(lt), Fs, Spl(db w/m) and most improtatantly Qtc. Unless you have a degree in electronic engineering, which I highly doubt you have, your speaker will sound rubbish. Baffling a 6x9 speaker to produce a linear response will be hard.

If you want a bassy HIFI system, you need a subwoofer which means you have to spend lots of money. And I mean £600 minimum for the speakers, a sub and an amplifier.

If you want something relatively cheap, I recommend you get this intergrated speaker set:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Upgrades/Audio/Speakers/LOGITECH/970118-0120/590528
You plug is straight into your computer, and its colour coded so your wont have any problems. Its got a subwoofer(the big box) and satallite speakers, and it will give you the sound you want.
Reply 7
yea u've actually got a gud point....i know basically nuthin bout speakers and altho i no a few ppl who could help me with the wiring and stuff it wouldn't be worth all the time and effort just to save £20!!! alrite i'll probly look around for some decent one;s. Thanks.

By the way if i'm looking for speakers which are pretty bassy but aren't necessarily super loud....i.e. your room doesn't vibrate ridiculously what kind of watts should i be looking for? does 100-150W sound about rite?
Reply 8
Making you own speakers is no easy feat, I have a book on this and some of the formula's are more advanced than A level maths, there is an awful lot of physics involved, its not just a simple case of sticking woofers into a box.

Also there has been no mention of tweeters of cross overs etc.

If you want proper low down bass (i.e not the boom) then why not buy a decent active sub woofer from some where like www.superfi.co.uk.

Also car speakers are not really HIFI.
Reply 9
SinghFello
I seriously recommend you dont make your own speakers! It will be a waste of your money and time.
Speakers are very very complicated to build. Its not just about buying a cone, and building a square box! You need to take into account the drivers Vas(lt), Fs, Spl(db w/m) and most improtatantly Qtc. Unless you have a degree in electronic engineering, which I highly doubt you have, your speaker will sound rubbish. Baffling a 6x9 speaker to produce a linear response will be hard.

If you want a bassy HIFI system, you need a subwoofer which means you have to spend lots of money. And I mean £600 minimum for the speakers, a sub and an amplifier.

If you want something relatively cheap, I recommend you get this intergrated speaker set:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/Upgrades/Audio/Speakers/LOGITECH/970118-0120/590528
You plug is straight into your computer, and its colour coded so your wont have any problems. Its got a subwoofer(the big box) and satallite speakers, and it will give you the sound you want.

LOL i like this bit "Its got a subwoofer(the big box) " i know i sed i knew little bout speakers but i do no wot a sub is....haha haha
Reply 10
DaKe
yea u've actually got a gud point....i know basically nuthin bout speakers and altho i no a few ppl who could help me with the wiring and stuff it wouldn't be worth all the time and effort just to save £20!!! alrite i'll probly look around for some decent one;s. Thanks.

By the way if i'm looking for speakers which are pretty bassy but aren't necessarily super loud....i.e. your room doesn't vibrate ridiculously what kind of watts should i be looking for? does 100-150W sound about rite?

No wattage has nothing do with it whats so ever, the loudness is not a problem becuase the amplifier will have somthing called a variable resistor which can adjust the voltage going into the speakers thus reducing the volume.

100w speakers are ones that clubs use, my HIFI system costs me nearly £1000 and can only deliver 50w RMS into 8ohms per channel.

Wattages should be avoided becuase its complex to understand and is marketing crap. For example a car head unit which delivers 4 * 45W is only actually delivering 11w into each speaker.
Reply 11
how do u know so much about this stuff????? is there like a website i can get this kinda information from???? What do you suggest i look for in the specification then when buying speakers?
Reply 12
DaKe
how do u know so much about this stuff????? is there like a website i can get this kinda information from???? What do you suggest i look for in the specification then when buying speakers?

www.zerogain.com

First of all what kind of amplifer do you have? If that cannot deliver enough power to your speakers it will damage the coil on them, I've done it myself.
Reply 13
no i don't actually have an amplifier.... i wanted to wire it to my laptop and use the speakers from there...
Reply 14
DaKe
no i don't actually have an amplifier.... i wanted to wire it to my laptop and use the speakers from there...

You will need an amp then, or just buy computer speakers.
Reply 15
ok i see....so its worth investing in a decent amp rite then, and so therz no way to plug say a sub into a computer without an amp then for example...?

also by this..... "First of all what kind of amplifer do you have? If that cannot deliver enough power to your speakers it will damage the coil on them, I've done it myself."

its better to buy a decent amp thats more powerful then the speakers because this won;t lead to damage of the coil...?
Reply 16
Anyway HIFI seperates amplifier will be able to drive most speakers, as longs as we are talking proper HIFI you will be fine.

For an amp you will need somthing like a Cambridge Audio A5, they are fairly cheap at £140 and have 50w per channel so they will be able to drive large speakers such as floor standers very easily and provide all that low down bass you're after.

I did damaged speakers when connecting some old Pioneer units to my sisters cheap mini system. I just had to replace the woofers.
lol, sorry I didnt mean to be patronising.
But as AT82 said, its complicatated stuff.
If you want to keep your costs down, a speaker set like in my previous post will be perfect for you.
HIFIs are very expensive. Ive spent £450 on my AV receiver(marantz SR5500), £300 on my sub(velodyne VX10), about £500 on my speakers, £120 on the CD player and £200 on my DVD player!! My parents think im mad spending all my money on the kit in my room.
Reply 18
kool kool i get it....thanks for the help guys.....

laterz

Dake
Reply 19
SinghFello
lol, sorry I didnt mean to be patronising.
But as AT82 said, its complicatated stuff.
If you want to keep your costs down, a speaker set like in my previous post will be perfect for you.
HIFIs are very expensive. Ive spent £450 on my AV receiver(marantz SR5500), £300 on my sub(velodyne VX10), about £500 on my speakers, £120 on the CD player and £200 on my DVD player!! My parents think im mad spending all my money on the kit in my room.

I want to spend £100 on buying a valve headphone amp from Hong Kong, I have not dared tell my parents yet.

Latest

Trending

Trending