The Student Room Group

becoming an Ann Summers rep

i was thinking of what i could do for extra cash at uni but i wanted something a bit different to your normal run of the mill saturday job so i thought of being an Ann Summers rep.

Has anyone had any past experiences with being a rep/knows someone else who has and can share what they know?

also does anyone know how you go about becoming one?
an_end_has_a_start
i was thinking of what i could do for extra cash at uni but i wanted something a bit different to your normal run of the mill saturday job so i thought of being an Ann Summers rep.

Has anyone had any past experiences with being a rep/knows someone else who has and can share what they know?

Becoming an ann summers rep is a brilliant idea! I've been to quite a few parties and hosted one of my own, absolutely loved every one of them! Our rep is called laura and she's great, she's funny, laidback, open, not too caught up in making money, and most importantly she doesn't mind staying sober and overseeing proceedings while we all get a bit tiddly....

I advise not to stick too rigidly to the guidelines they give you when you join, for example, I know that they tell you to spend a certain amount of time selling and promoting the products, and you should only play two of the games per party. From experience, the guidelines make it more of a sales exercise than a party. Use facebook to network and get yourself a decent clientbase, treat your customers like friends and you'll have fun, and make money!

Good luck x
NO!!! Don't do it! It sounds like a good idea, and an easy way to make some cash, but...
I signed up for it in my first year of uni. First of all, there's loads of paperwork, and they make you pay to hire your 'kit' (basically loads of sex toys and clothing), which is very heavy, and you have to hang on to yourself. Now, I didn't drive, which made it very difficult to get to places, and carry the kit around - if you drive, it'd be much easier.

First, I had a meeting with my rep, who gave me my kit. She was really miserable, not at all what I was expecting! Plus, I was supposed to attend a meeting every few weeks at my 'nearest' centre, which happened to be about half an hour away, and again not driving, it was pretty much impossible (and expensive) for me to get to.

On top of that, they really do expect you to organise your own parties, and if you don't get any, you still pay to hire the kit. I was too embarrassed to hussle my friends into booking parties, and also in my first year, I didn't want to get known as 'Ann Summers girl'. So, I did a party that my rep had organised, and it was really, really horrible! (btw, I'm not saying it's like this for everyone, but you asked for anyone with experience of it). Basically, it was in this town about 50mins away from me, I had to get my then-boyfriend to drive me, and we got totally lost. Eventually, I found it, it was in this working men's club. I had to then walk through the bar, still full of the working men, who were all either leering or making nasty comments, because they'd been told what I was there for! I then got ushered into what was essentially a conference room, where a bunch of increasingly drunk older women either heckled me, or tried to steal the products!
It was exhausting - 2 hours spent trying to keep them entertained, and get them to buy stuff. In the end, I think I made about £70, but some of that went on the kit, and if I'd had to pay travel, it would have been even less.

So...eventually, I decided I'd had enough. It wasn't suited to me, and so I called my rep and said I wanted to quit. She was really, really difficult about it (because she got some commission off my sales), and messed me around, and after the initial call, she no longer answered my calls! There was loads more paperwork involved in quitting, and then the return of the kit. That was the really tricky part. I had to arrange for a van to pick it up, but as I lived in halls with a broken buzzer, it was impossible! They had this rule also that the driver themself wouldn't call, but some guy at the depot would! So, we tried three times to drop it off, no luck. The next time, I asked to be called on my mobile and I'd come down and drop it off. I ended up being in a lecture at the time, so had to leg it halfway across campus, and by the time I got there, the van had gone! They kept trying to charge me £500 for it (which is probably why they were so unwilling to pick it up). I offered to drop it off at the depot, and they got really shady and said it wouldn't work like that. Eventually, I left it at the main reception desk, and it was taken off my hands. Literally, two of the most stressful months of my uni experience!! I got into huge money problems with it, and felt way too embarrassed to tell my parents.

I'm sorry for the negative view (and essay length post), I'm sure people have had great experiences with them, but it's nowhere near as easy as it sounds, and they will screw you around because you're young, and get money out of you. All the best!
Reply 4
I also have been a rep. I had a similar experience. I want to quit. I found it sooo hard to get parties, get to meetings etc etc because I can't drive. I also had trouble finding people to do parties because I couldn't get to them (i.e. they tended to live like 30 mins - 1 hours away). I found my first party pretty exhausting trying to keep the women entertained. And they kept like interrupting and looking at me as if I was a fool and didn't know what I was talking about. When, actually, I did. I was trying to give them advice on safe toy use and they just laughed at me. My other few parties were OK though. I'm trying to quit now - I hope it goes OK!!! I'm scared I'll have trouble now!
I would like to become ann summers rep
malr crossdresser will model for u
I am a Ann summers rep x
Reply 8
I’m an Ann Summers ambassador and it’s the best thing I’ve done for a long time. It’s boosted my confidence through the roof the lady’s are so lovely and helped with my people skills so win all round :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by an_end_has_a_start

I wish I did coz I would like to become one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending