The Student Room Group

Trans-inclusive Cambridge colleges

Hi, I’m looking at applying to Cambridge for my masters and was wondering if there were any specific concerns or positives to Cambridge colleges and their treatment of trans students.

I’m currently at Oxford and there is a massive difference between some of the colleges (with quite a few being hostile). Do colleges regularly have things like a gender expression fund or trans reps in the JCR/MCR like they do at Oxford?

Any information or experiences would be helpful.
Reply 1
Sorry this isn’t an answer to your question but I’m trans and applying to Oxford this year - what was your experience being trans at oxford like? And which colleges are generally better/less hostile for trans people?

(Original post by Aimiemay7)
Hi, I’m looking at applying to Cambridge for my masters and was wondering if there were any specific concerns or positives to Cambridge colleges and their treatment of trans students.

I’m currently at Oxford and there is a massive difference between some of the colleges (with quite a few being hostile). Do colleges regularly have things like a gender expression fund or trans reps in the JCR/MCR like they do at Oxford?

Any information or experiences would be helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by wipedout
Sorry this isn’t an answer to your question but I’m trans and applying to Oxford this year - what was your experience being trans at oxford like? And which colleges are generally better/less hostile for trans people?

(Original post by Aimiemay7)

Hey. So far the experience has been pretty good, updating details with the university was easy and I haven’t had a single problem with my tutors. We had a bit of a media incident when a large number of us (student and university staff) decided to protest the Oxford Union hosting a notorious transphobe - but all I’d say about that is to stay away from the Oxford Union (which is not the Oxford SU in case of confusion).

The Oxford University LGBTQ+ society is great (though I am a bit biased being a member of the committee) and I’ve met loads of fellow trans students through them. They host about 100 events a term where it’s easy to find friends. We also have a discord for trans students which is pretty regularly used.

College wise I would mostly say that the ones you think of as the rich colleges probably care the least about trans students, and the problematic students seem to come more from those colleges. I’d personally really recommend Worcester, St Anne’s and Hertford since I have experience with them being good about trans issues (the Worcester provost is actually the head of Stonewall). If you have any specific colleges you’re looking at I can try and give more focused feedback on them.

The OULGBTQ+ society is in the process of putting together a ranking of colleges based on their handing of LGBTQ+ students, but I don’t know when that’ll be completed.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending