The Student Room Group

what do i do??

i study biology, chemistry and sociology at a level and i was thinking of applying to medicine but the more i think about it, especially in this country, i get put off and i don’t think it’s for me anymore. i was also thinking of studying biomed science but it doesn’t interest me as much as i thought it would. i wish i could study something that’s analytical and not heavily healthcare related but i feel like im limited because of the a levels i do. any ideas?
Original post by sagetears_
i study biology, chemistry and sociology at a level and i was thinking of applying to medicine but the more i think about it, especially in this country, i get put off and i don’t think it’s for me anymore. i was also thinking of studying biomed science but it doesn’t interest me as much as i thought it would. i wish i could study something that’s analytical and not heavily healthcare related but i feel like im limited because of the a levels i do. any ideas?
You can do chemical/biological engineering? Become a teacher? Law is possible too (they don't have specific subject requirements).
You have to do physics for pretty much all engineering however you could do a foundation year before doing a standard degree.

Hi there!

It's definitely worth going to some university open days to see the different kind of degree's university's have to offer and whether there is anything you fancy! There's loads of different degree's out there that you might not even have thought of so going to an open day might help you narrow down choices! For example, if you like more science based subjects but don't want to work in healthcare as much as medicine, pharmacy or pharmacology might be choices you could be interested in!

I hope this helps and If you would like to show your support, please consider leaving us your vote for Best Official Rep here: TSRCommunity Awards 2023: Best Official Rep Award - VOTING NOW OPEN - The Student Room

-Rebecca, UCLan
So, you’re in year 12.
If you’re thinking about medicine then you need to consider entrance exams along with work experience. People who already know they want to do medicine would have started further reading and at least applied for volunteering and work experience. Some may have already completed some work experience. Your summer would also be occupied with UCAT (medicine exam) prep. You should take this in mind when deciding. The process for applying for medicine is tiresome and also includes interviews unlike courses like biomed. If medicine is something you’re not passionate about, the stress of even applying can be a burden, not to mention the stress of med school and then residency

Quick Reply

Latest