The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ChemistBoy
You are wrong.

You area wrong also.

When going for an experienced position (i.e. anything other than entry level) then your interview will solely revolve around demonstrating your competence through your actions in previous employment and your personal qualities. If, you are applying for a job as a major projects manager then it doesn't matter if you went to Hertfordshire or Oxford it matters what your track record in projects is.

To be honest, anyone who has spent five minutes in the professional workplace as a permanent employee will realise that your career track-record is the key thing in gaining promotions or moving to other companies.

Ok, you're right to a certain extent but I still believe that the best way to get your foot in the door is to go to a good uni. My mate's brother went to Oxford to read History and is now doing accountancy at J.P Morgan. As you can see his degree had nothing to do with his job and he didn't have any experience in finance at all because he got the job as soon as he graduated.
jismith1989
1, 2 & 3 = assumptions
4 = silly free-market idea

(Were you never taught about the fallacy of making absolute statements with only generalised evidence at best? :yum:)

I agree.

1) study a lot more.
2) They work harder.

Points 1 and 2 are essentially the same thing anyway and is completely ridiculous line of thought! To say all students from X are more hard working than Y! Moronic!

They have better networks with the industry.

Networks only gets you so far in life, if you don't have the substance you're ******, and in any case I think it's extremely overrated. They talk about 'networking' in law all the time. People will forget you anyway and do you seriously think they'll give you a top job if you buy them a drink? :confused:
The best do need networking anyway ... :wink:

They have a better brand.

That (again) only gets you so far in life. You can't live of the glory of something else.
python38
I wonder how much it matters for Law (say, if you aspired to become a barrister)?

For the Bar, not as much as you think. You need top grades obviously and that right attitude/personality to succeed.
It is more meritocratic ...
Reply 43
T. Hereford
Ok, you're right to a certain extent but I still believe that the best way to get your foot in the door is to go to a good uni. My mate's brother went to Oxford to read History and is now doing accountancy at J.P Morgan. As you can see his degree had nothing to do with his job and he didn't have any experience in finance at all because he got the job as soon as he graduated.

ChemistBoy said anything after the entry position.

This thread quite clearly said long term not entry.
Reply 44
Troyes
How much depends on how presigious the University is when finding a job?

I'm from the University of Hertfordshire (which is ranked 97 in the Guardian League table, so make your own assumptions there). However I have lots of industrial experience including a placement and I expect to graduate with a 2:1 atleast. How am I placed compared to students graduating from Imperial etc.?

I honestly don't think it matters very much - I think personality (shock horror) and work ethic is probably at least equally important.

HOWEVER, it's not that simple. Clearly it does matter to some people on here, and some of them will be future employers, so it stands to reason that it matters to at least some employers. They may cluster in certain fields/work environments however.
Reply 45
It matters a lot if you want to enter the top tier of really competitive industries like law, banking, advertising and the civil service. A lot of the really snobby law firms only want people from Oxbridge and LSE so if you have a degree from somewhere else, you won't get a look in and of course, if you are are not at the first rung of the ladder, you can't climb the ladder.

President Obama is frequently referred to as a Harvard Law graduate or an Ivy League graduate so even after he had a very successful career after graduation the fact he has a degree from the most prestigous university in America is still very relevant for top jobs.
T. Hereford

I bet JP Morgan hire a lot of history grads into their trainee accountancy positions. I have a lot of friends with humanties degrees from all over the place who are or have worked for big accountancy firms, this is nothing out of the ordinary at all. Of course this doesn't take away from the fact that accountancy graduates hold exemptions to examinations that other grads have to take making them cheaper to train - a good incentive for hiring them, especially at the moment.
Maker
It matters a lot if you want to enter the top tier of really competitive industries like law, banking, advertising and the civil service. A lot of the really snobby law firms only want people from Oxbridge and LSE so if you have a degree from somewhere else, you won't get a look in and of course, if you are are not at the first rung of the ladder, you can't climb the ladder.

President Obama is frequently referred to as a Harvard Law graduate or an Ivy League graduate so even after he had a very successful career after graduation the fact he has a degree from the most prestigous university in America is still very relevant for top jobs.

Just wondering what life experiences you have to say that if you didn't go to Oxbrixge or LSE, then you won't get in.
Personally, I think you don't know what you're talking about. But let's see.
Reply 48
Maker

It doesn't just show that hes 'quite good' then? :smile:

The US does care a lot more about the institution though.

Latest

Trending

Trending