The Student Room Group

Motorway driving - tips

Scroll to see replies

Lol, I went onto the motorway a week after passing and had no problems. It's not as scary as you think :wink: Just keep up with the flow and you'll be fine
Reply 21
Stay in the middle lane and relax thats what I do
Keep the gas pedal and down and your hand on the horn.*

*I would not take my own advice. But seriously- try and stay on the slow lane at the beginning, check your mirrors to make sure there isn't any speeding maniacs, eyes on the road, hands on wheel. Be very careful until you get used to it. Most British motorways are full of traffic you probably won't get passed 4mph anyway...
Reply 23
Some good advice has already been given here, such as staying in the left lane at the speed of the surrounding traffic until you get used to the higher speeds.

Always having an escape plan will make you more confident. Whenever following something, always scan around you for that "perfect" space at the side that you can easily drift into should someone nip in front of you and steal your separation distance. Having already established your escape, it becomes much easier to signal and move without the stress. Regular mirror updates (even when not much is happening) will help you stay focussed too. Staring at the same point can make you drowsy.

Of course, you can't beat a lesson or two with a qualified instructor if you prefer that safety net if you're worried you may get in a pickle. Why not join a local IAM group? Their course will include a motorway module and their courses are great for confidence building.
shark67
Stay in the middle lane and relax thats what I do

You are an idiot who needs the get off the ******* road.
The middle lane is for overtaking so piss off out of it unless your doing a good 100mph constantly (I don't recommend this, but at least if you did this you wouldn't be posing a hazard) otherwise move in and out of the left hand lane.

Anyone who just sits in the middle/right lane without trying to get back in the left lane when appropriate deserves getting rammed of the road.

Don't listen to half the people on here, you will just piss people off. Drive mainly in the left lane, and if your are going faster than the traffic in the left lane smoothly move into the right lane and then back in to the left each time you get to people traveling slower.

Staying in the right lane is lazy and not driving properly.
Reply 25
Lara C.
Drive a VAG product do you? They seem to be doing something similar to me every day on the A1 :p:

Audi A3's are the worst culprits!

odd it used to be beemers. although i find q7s are the worst for it!
Reply 26
BillyPilgrim
The middle lane is for overtaking so piss off out of it unless your doing a good 100mph constantly (I don't recommend this, but at least if you did this you wouldn't be posing a hazard) otherwise move in and out of the left hand lane.

Anyone who just sits in the middle/right lane without trying to get back in the left lane when appropriate deserves getting rammed of the road.

Youve really put some effort into make a fool out of yourself havent you! lol

Middle lane stragglers are a problem but your solutions and advice are far far worse!
Reply 27
Don't bother with pass plus, the cost of doing it compared to the reduction in your insurance costs are hardly worth it. As above IAM, cheaper, bigger reduction, much safer as a driver.

Tips for the motorway.

-Eyes up! You need to look further ahead of you at 70 than you do at 30 because you have less time to assess things if you see them when they are nearer to you.
-Close windows, the sound can be very distracting.
-Make sure you feel confident, not at all tired and concentrate
-leave plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front to allow yourself time to react.
-Changing lanes, do it deliberately but smoothly, check your interior and appropriate wing mirror, apply signal and look over your shoulder, is it clear to go?
- Remember that statistics show motorways are safer than all other roads.
-Ensure you've built up adequate speed before joining the motorway

After coming off the motorway driving at 30 or 40 miles an hour can feel very slow indeed. remember 70MPH is over double 30mph so it can feel like a crawl. How ever you need to slow down now, regain that sense of perspective if you value your license.
Reply 28
dh00001
odd it used to be beemers. although i find q7s are the worst for it!

just read a post on another forum which i want to quote;

'Drafting saves fuel, why do you think BMW, Audi etc claim to have such brilliant mpg?"
:p:
Lara C.

Middle lane stragglers are a problem but your solutions and advice are far far worse!

No not at all, I would rarther someone was doing 100 in the right lane and not holding me up than doing 70 in the right lane and generally pissing everyone off.

You have really put effort into showing you don't know how to drive by suggesting that the middle lane is appropriate to stay in.
Lara C.
Drive a VAG product do you? They seem to be doing something similar to me every day on the A1 :p:

Audi A3's are the worst culprits!

These 'VAG' drivers are probably driving properly and getting frustrated with you clogging the overtaking lane.
motorways arent much different to dual carriageways really

i took my dad on my first run on the motorway

just be safe

ie check your mirrors before changing lane as some people dont do :mad:
Lara C.

Also I don't recommend 100mph, but I was meaning unless you are doing that, then get the **** out the right hand lane.
Reply 33
BillyPilgrim
No not at all, I would rarther someone was doing 100 in the right lane and not holding me up than doing 70 in the right lane and generally pissing everyone off.

You have really put effort into showing you don't know how to drive by suggesting that the middle lane is appropriate to stay in.

We werent talking about the right lane were we, we were talking about the middle lane. And not only that, nobody cares what you would rather. Your clearly an idiot for suggesting people travel at a constant 100mph :rolleyes:

I wonder for how long you could travel at that speed without getting a speeding fine, better still, without being caught by a Police officer and saying bye bye to your licesnse. I persume your still in the probationary 2 years :wink:
Reply 34
BillyPilgrim

Don't listen to half the people on here, you will just piss people off. Drive mainly in the left lane, and if your are going faster than the traffic in the left lane smoothly move into the right lane and then back in to the left each time you get to people traveling slower.

Staying in the right lane is lazy and not driving properly.

Rise to the troll much lol
Lara C.
We werent talking about the right lane were we, we were talking about the middle lane. And not only that, nobody cares what you would rather. Your clearly an idiot for suggesting people travel at a constant 100mph :rolleyes:

I wonder for how long you could travel at that speed without getting a speeding fine, better still, without being caught by a Police officer and saying bye bye to your licesnse. I persume your still in the probationary 2 years :wink:

Well no some motorways have 2 lanes, and either way, the middle lane is still only an overtaking lane.

I wasn't recommending going 100mph I was saying that in order to not pose an annoyance by constantly being in the middle / right lane you would have to be going pretty quick other wise people may want to over take and you prevent them getting back into the left lane.
Lara C.

If you want to overtake someone going 65 in the left lane, who is going to be worse, the person who who is past you in a few seconds, then you can move out into the middle and get past. Or the person who stays just in front of you, and you move out then slowly creep past the 65mph'er then move back to the left and can go quicker because you don't want to undertake.
Reply 37
Yep just watch ahead and stay in the inside lane (especially your first few times) unless you need to overtake a lorry or something in which case go into the middle lane till you are passed. Be careful when changing lanes and when traffic is merging into your lane (usually worth going into the middle lane until you are passed too)
Reply 38
Lara C.

I'm not saying this to show off, before anyone says so, but I cruise at 95mph and believe I do safely, seeing some of the idiots on the road I do wonder how they are still alive. Going fast doesn't mean unsafe as most people seem to think. I see people going 70-80 but they are so close to each other, if anything was to happen they would crash into the car in front instantly.

Just some tips, you keep on learning always, just because you've been driving for a few years doesn't mean you know everything. Leave a good distance to the car in front, remember to let cars into your lane if they indicate and brake if needed. Don't brake when coming across slower cars in front, just let your foot off the gas and you'll be at there speed soon enough, if you leave bigger enough gaps.

Also the most important thing, don't hog any lanes, if you have overtaken cars and there is space in the inside lane, move there!!
I went on at about exactly a year after passing and I was bricking it for some reason. I had a fear of the slip road and that I wouldn't be able to get on the motorway. Weird. Also keep away from lorries, give them a wide birth. Just be very aware of your surroundings, behind and infront. You should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending