The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society!

Someone suggest we should have one so here you go - god what ill do to avoid revision.

To get us started why doesnt everyone list the unis they are applying to or applied to with any subsiquent offers etc.

Members list for when this gets added to the societies list
-Brokenangel
-Cupofinsperation
-iHeartVet
-AutVinceriAutMoi
-dances_with_lamposts
-Xiao-ling
-GodspeedGehenna
-jbyrne1989
-Nutta
-icantthinkofacoolusername
-ps7
-Fafthelibrarian
-Antonious Block
-ilovehotchocolate
-Larrisa

Scroll to see replies

OOO i'll like to join, i'm hoping to be going for 2012 entry however! so i have a while yet, but am starting to get work experience organised, and seeing how I feel about going into medicine, am still on the fence, as I do enjoy nursing a lot and have started to find areas I enjoy!

Anyway, I'm looking at Nottingham, leiscester, keele and warwick for gem 2012...am currently in first year of nursing degree, (2nd year in 2 months!)
Reply 2
Seen as i started it id better post up.

After a poor performance at alevel im doing a Biomedical Sciences degree at Sunderland. Ill be applying to

Newcastle GEM
Newcastle 5 Year
Nottingham GEM
Warwick GEM

for 2011 entry

My undergraduate offer was for Newcastle
Im slightly worried the fact I didn't consider medicine at a-level (well I did breifly) or applied, they may question that I dont have a good enough 'motive' to study medicine :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Cup of Inspiration,

Do not worry about that. I went down the arts route before deciding to apply to read medicine. As long as you can justify this change in your personal statement/interview, then that should be more than enough. Not everyone knows what they want to do with the rest of their lives at 16/17 years of age.
Right, my undergraduate offer so far is Chem @ Birmingham, but I hope to do GEP Med in three years ( a long way off I know :p: )

I want to apply to the following( assuming I get a first which of course I might not) :
1 Warwick :king1: Closest home and biggest intake
2 Oxford
3 Kings
4 Barts
If not I will look elsewhere, but so far I can dream about these places :moon:
Ooh, can i join? hehe.

Cup of Inspiration - i didnt apply from school (because my grades were terrible), noone questioned it at interview.

Brokenangel - i WILL get round to answering your pm! :biggrin:

anyway, where i applied last year:
Nottingham GEM - offer - firm! :woo:
St Georges GEP - offer - declined!
Peninsula - rejection (GAMSAT not high enough)
Swansea - rejection/withdrawn (i already had Nottingham so its all good).
Reply 7
Whooooo I heart this society already ^_^
I'm currently studying Biology at University of Bristol =)
Applying for 2010 entry Medicine, not sure where yet but this is what I think so far:

1. Warwick
2. St Georges
3. Kings/Imperial
4. ?? still looking

dances_with_lamposts

Amazing! =D How did you find the GAMSAT? Mine's on the 18th but I didn't do Chem or Phy at A Level, is it too late to revise? (I have less than a week to revise as I'm going on a week volunteering from tomorrow so won't get to revise there) and how on earth do you revise that written section? Also, how was your GAMSAT result and the cut-offs for the unis? I'm worried as we get our results after we apply for UCAS.... sorry for the bombardment of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated! =D
dances_with_lamposts
Ooh, can i join? hehe.

Cup of Inspiration - i didnt apply from school (because my grades were terrible), noone questioned it at interview.

oo so are you off to nottingham now then?! Wowwwww, its the best place to be :yep:
xiao_ling
Amazing! =D How did you find the GAMSAT? Mine's on the 18th but I didn't do Chem or Phy at A Level, is it too late to revise? (I have less than a week to revise as I'm going on a week volunteering from tomorrow so won't get to revise there) and how on earth do you revise that written section? Also, how was your GAMSAT result and the cut-offs for the unis? I'm worried as we get our results after we apply for UCAS.... sorry for the bombardment of questions but any help would be greatly appreciated! =D

hehe, i didnt find gamsat too bad, it was hard but doable. try not to think of it as one long 5.5 hour exam, its 3 shorter exams. :smile: the first section was pretty tough, i think it was hard so that people would give up any hope of passing! seriously, just take your time with it and you will do ok. they kinda give you the answers in the first section.

the essay section needs a set format to pass, google pagingdr and there is a forum which had loads of hints for the gamsat, plenty of help for section 2. once you've worked out your format then the esay will work itself out, no matter what the quotes are.

section 3 was hard because everyone was tired. take some fruit pastilles in with you for a quick sugar rush when you need it. there were some really random questions (i.e. estimate the rate at which fingernails grow??!! wtf?!). i didnt answer any of the physics questions, i couldnt afford to spend time on them, its only 20% of that section anyway.

yes its true that you get your results after you apply, so see how well you think you've done and apply based on that. i didnt have a choice where i applied because of my 2.2, but if you think you've done badly then only apply to 1 or 2 gamsat unis.

my results were 56, 64, 55 with an overall of 57 (58 the nottingham way). the cut offs were 56 (St Georges), 58 (Nottingham - i am soooooo lucky!), and 62 (Peninsula). So i just about scraped through, but the beauty is that it didnt matter - i had enough to get me 2 interviews and those were what mattered to get my place. :biggrin:

Good luck. (that goes for anyone doing gamsat in a couple of weeks - ooh, 2 weeks today!) :smile:
Reply 10
awhhh thanks so much for the information! Can I ask how you went about revising the first and third sections? My english is a little rubbish and i am so worried about chemistry (haven't done it since AS) and physics, since I don't have much time, do you think I should just not revise physics (I haven't done it since GCSE)?

Congrats for getting into Notts! It's such a good medicine uni! Can I ask why you rejected SGUL?
Cup of Inspiration
OOO i'll like to join, i'm hoping to be going for 2012 entry however! so i have a while yet, but am starting to get work experience organised, and seeing how I feel about going into medicine, am still on the fence, as I do enjoy nursing a lot and have started to find areas I enjoy!

Anyway, I'm looking at Nottingham, leiscester, keele and warwick for gem 2012...am currently in first year of nursing degree, (2nd year in 2 months!)

Were you at the Warwick MB ChB open day on the 1st, by any chance?
xiao_ling
awhhh thanks so much for the information! Can I ask how you went about revising the first and third sections? My english is a little rubbish and i am so worried about chemistry (haven't done it since AS) and physics, since I don't have much time, do you think I should just not revise physics (I haven't done it since GCSE)?

Congrats for getting into Notts! It's such a good medicine uni! Can I ask why you rejected SGUL?

for the first section, its pretty much all about taking the time to understand the question, usually one of the answers is stupid, one of them looks too good to be true and the other two could be right. you havent got much time left for books and things. have you got griffiths gamsat review? if not then i would advise getting it. other than that, improve your vocab by playing freerice (google it). :biggrin:

for the 3rd section, the biology bits are mostly about understanding tables/graphs and interpreting the info. the chemistry stuff will need some background knowledge but you should be ok with an A level revision book or something similar. although, its still about how well you understand the question and most of the time you can work out the answer without any background knowledge. learn pH's! :wink:

im not telling you not to learn physics, im just saying that i didnt because i knew i would waste time trying to answer those questions. if you think you can remember the equasions then go for it, there are some easy marks to be picked up there.

just do your best and dont panic!

I rejected SGUL because Nottingham is closer to home, it has a better reputation for adminitrative organisation :p: , and Tooting looked like a proper dive when i went for the interview!
Reply 13
dances_with_lamposts
for the first section, its pretty much all about taking the time to understand the question, usually one of the answers is stupid, one of them looks too good to be true and the other two could be right. you havent got much time left for books and things. have you got griffiths gamsat review? if not then i would advise getting it. other than that, improve your vocab by playing freerice (google it). :biggrin:

for the 3rd section, the biology bits are mostly about understanding tables/graphs and interpreting the info. the chemistry stuff will need some background knowledge but you should be ok with an A level revision book or something similar. although, its still about how well you understand the question and most of the time you can work out the answer without any background knowledge. learn pH's! :wink:

im not telling you not to learn physics, im just saying that i didnt because i knew i would waste time trying to answer those questions. if you think you can remember the equasions then go for it, there are some easy marks to be picked up there.

just do your best and dont panic!

I rejected SGUL because Nottingham is closer to home, it has a better reputation for adminitrative organisation :p: , and Tooting looked like a proper dive when i went for the interview!

I've had a look at the griffiths GAMSAT review and because i'm so against time I don't think I actually can read it and have it be useful for me in the time left *sigh* why did I not revise before?!

OooH I shall have to learn chem up to A2 then and about the physics, well, i'll see what I can do in the time left but i'm sure I can memorise a few formulas (what they don't give you any?!). I'm studying a Biology degree so i'm hoping that bits and bobs of A Level will come back in the exam (too much wishful thinking? :confused: )

Also, did you have a calculator when you went in for the exam?

haha yea I really really did not like the location for SGUL when I went for the open day but because it's in London I should apply for that :p: and it's a good uni and for the first year I can save money by living at home whooo!

Freerice is amazing :yep:
xiao_ling

OooH I shall have to learn chem up to A2 then and about the physics, well, i'll see what I can do in the time left but i'm sure I can memorise a few formulas (what they don't give you any?!).

:no: nope, they dont give any formulas, you have to remember them.

Also, did you have a calculator when you went in for the exam?

Yeah you can bring a calculator, a normal school type scientific one is fine. as long as its not an all singing one that can store formulas then its ok i think.
Reply 15
dances_with_lamposts

Haha thanks no rush.

Glad you all like the society ill make a list and add it to the 1st post later!
Reply 16
dances_with_lamposts
:no: nope, they dont give any formulas, you have to remember them.

Yeah you can bring a calculator, a normal school type scientific one is fine. as long as its not an all singing one that can store formulas then its ok i think.

EEEKKK no formulas?! *sigh* more learning for me then =( thanks for all your help! =)
xiao_ling
EEEKKK no formulas?! *sigh* more learning for me then =( thanks for all your help! =)

No periodic table either! :no:
GodspeedGehenna
Were you at the Warwick MB ChB open day on the 1st, by any chance?

hell no, not got any time to go to open days- plus tbh, i think realistically i'll only be interested in notts uni really, warwick..well i may not even consider it, at nottingham i have a partner, family..plus it means I can work agency shifts as a staff nurse in the area, whilst training- and i live just 2mins walk from the hospital, it makes sense really, plus im at a sneaky advantage in that my tutor does intervews for the medical school :rolleyes:

Just found out ive finally been confirmed 3 shifts with the gynae surgical team, got a friend who's an FY2, so he's hooked me up! :woo: the ward is letting me hang on to ward rounds aswell if im not busy when they're happening!
Hi all, I hopefully will be applying for 2011 entry. About to start the 2nd yr of Management Studies at Nottingham and hopefully will be able to do the GEM at Notts too.

Going to begin studying A lvl: chemistry, physics, biology and organic chemsitry to Uni 1st year standard over the next year (sigh..). Its what Griffiths recommends so I guess I'll have to try and find time to do it. Also hopefully will gain 4 months work exp at an old peoples home.

Btw does anyone know whether experience solely at an old peoples home will be good enough to qualify for the required work experience? Or do I need more diversity?

Thanks,

Latest

Trending

Trending