The Student Room Group
Reply 9980
Original post by adsyrah

Newcastle will have sent more offers than places - my offer's unconditional, so am I guaranteed a place?

Yes. There will inevitably be a few people who get more than one offer and therefore decline theirs, so they make more offers than places to account for that.
Reply 9981
Wooo Newcastle Gep offer today!
Original post by *Funny*Bunny*
Just wondering, anyone who was rejected from Imperial, did you ever get a letter or email to accompany the track update?

Also I emailed for feedback but never got a response. Has anyone else emailed for feedback and have you heard back from them yet? Sorry to bring up what seems to be an old topic but I thought I should check as I'm considering emailing them again next week just in case they missed my email.

Original post by Type1_Neuro
I called them last week and last wednesday and today I received the feedback email. It's mostly a template response quoting statistics on the number that applied and interviewed etc and what they are testing you on during the interview. I then read two sentences about my personal performance, I was not as clued up about clinical ethics as other interviewees which I kind of already realised soon after the interview.

In a way I'm glad that no surprising comments were made, but on the other hand the process of preparing for just applying to medicine seems to include pretty much learning half of the course already and that can be tedious at times when you aren't guaranteed the opportunity to put it into professional practice.

NB I may have bought a book on clinical ethics via the Amazon app on my phone as soon as I read the email ¬_¬

Original post by manupalace
Which book (I guess its never to early for me to start preparing for next year's applications) :s-smilie:

I can heartedly reccomend 'a very short introduction to medical ethics' Its really comprehensive but concise, I read it a few times before my Imperial interview. Also link to the PDF below is really good as a key point summary of medical ethics issues.

http://www.sci2.co.uk./An%20Introduction%20in%20Medical%20Philosophy.pdf

And the book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Ethics-Short-Introduction-Introductions/dp/0192802828/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330714149&sr=8-1

Good luck for those trying next year
Original post by FrenziedPenguin
I can heartedly reccomend 'a very short introduction to medical ethics' Its really comprehensive but concise, I read it a few times before my Imperial interview. Also link to the PDF below is really good as a key point summary of medical ethics issues.

And the book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Ethics-Short-Introduction-Introductions/dp/0192802828/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330714149&sr=8-1

I've actually read that book a couple of times, really enjoyed it. I am thinking I probably just wasn't thinking straight as it was my first ever interview! I'll be interested in feedback though as it will really help me I reckon.

And the book:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by adsyrah
I was more getting at the number of places available...

If they send offers to 30 people and all 30 accept, do they have to take them all or just the first 25?

This happened the year above mine, and they just ended up with bigger PBL groups, and when I say bigger I mean by 1 or 2 people :tongue: I think they reduced the amount of offers they gave to my year and below as they like having ~25 in a year.
Congrats to all the Newcastle offer holders!
I'm still dying a death not hearing off Warwick, apparently 1-2 weeks we will hear. Going slightly crazy :P
AND spending my friday night writing my dissertation certainly adds to the good mood too lol.
I'm lecturing in Nottingham start of April if anyone is around for interviews then and wants to get lunch :smile:

And the book:

Thanks Frenzied Penguin for the links, medical ethics definitely makes for good conversation with colleagues and friends, there are just so many aspects to consider and I get to know other's perspectives on a much deeper level without seeming too intrusive. I guess that was the aim of the panel in the interview...

Original post by manupalace
Which book (I guess its never to early for me to start preparing for next year's applications) :s-smilie:

I bought a recently published book, "The Worried Student's Guide to Medical Ethics and Law" off Amazon. The title is preaching to the right person :P

Original post by *Funny*Bunny*
I've actually read that book a couple of times, really enjoyed it. I am thinking I probably just wasn't thinking straight as it was my first ever interview! I'll be interested in feedback though as it will really help me I reckon.

I agree, it was also my first interview in a long time and I felt confident that self-preparation was enough without having practice interviews with friends or family, which now I see was a move made in complacency. I can say that the following two interviews at Swansea and Warwick were much better, much calmer.
I have a question for those of you who have applied. How did you know you wanted to do it? Do you all come from science degree backgrounds? I've always, always been an all-rounder. I recently completed my undergraduate degree in Art History and English Studies at Durham, but I have always loved science as well, and did Biology and Chemistry AS and A Levels, and I have ALWAYS wanted, on some level, to study medicine, but it seemed like too much of a risk to undertake a 5-year course if I wasn't 100% sure that it was what I wanted.

I feel like I'm in a no-win situation because it seems like I'll never know until I try, but by then I'll be in a huge amount of debt. Should I just forget about it and accept that this is a pipe dream and it's never going to happen, or should I try talking to somebody from one of the graduate programs about whether it's right for me? Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by sarahwitkowski
I have a question for those of you who have applied. How did you know you wanted to do it? Do you all come from science degree backgrounds? I've always, always been an all-rounder. I recently completed my undergraduate degree in Art History and English Studies at Durham, but I have always loved science as well, and did Biology and Chemistry AS and A Levels, and I have ALWAYS wanted, on some level, to study medicine, but it seemed like too much of a risk to undertake a 5-year course if I wasn't 100% sure that it was what I wanted.

I feel like I'm in a no-win situation because it seems like I'll never know until I try, but by then I'll be in a huge amount of debt. Should I just forget about it and accept that this is a pipe dream and it's never going to happen, or should I try talking to somebody from one of the graduate programs about whether it's right for me? Any advice would be appreciated.

I didnt do a science degree, I did biology at A level and got a fabulous D in it! I got thrown into medicine working abroad and from there got the bug and have worked in the medical field since, got work experience in the NHS and decided it was the career for me as i could incorporate my previous degree into medicine.
It's a long process you have to really want to do it! its financially draining and a hard core 4 years (for graduate course). Get some work experience or a job in the NHS would be the best idea then you'll have a better idea, you wont get into med school with out the work exp!
Original post by sarahwitkowski

Just to second what Icsurfer has said, the best way to figure out if it's for you or not is to get some work experience, some hands on work as well as some shadowing of doctors. Despite what some tv shows portray, it's not always a glamourous job. Find out if you would enjoy spending most of your time around very ill and vulnerable people in a hospital or hospice. You have done the right thing by not going into medicine without being sure, it's a massive commitment with a lot of debt and basically most of your youth invested into it so it kind of is a lifestyle than just a job. Also you could watch something like Junior doctors on BBC3 and see what you think of their lifestyle (keep in mind it's still a tv show), also books like Confessions of a GP give you some ideas of the things a doctor faces on a day to day basis.

There are GEM information days held, I know there is one in London every february and that is a good way of meeting some admissions folk as well as students and chatting about your options. Also remember if you're interested in healthcare, medicine is not the only thing, you could look at other professions such as radiography, nursing, physiotherapy and so on...

All the best if you do decide to apply :-)
Closing this as per TSR policy as it's reached 10,000 posts :smile:

New thread is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1939169

Latest

Trending

Trending