The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Liverpool F.C.™
If you missed your grades by a bit, why don't you resit a few modules to be bring them to a required standard and reapply again instead of going through the whole GEM thing which is way more competitive and financially draining. Your choices may be limited by resitting but if you know that medicine is what you want to do, you should take the regular route.

i though about that but I got BBB instead of AAB, so would need to redo exams for 2 subjects. After looking at the retake policies of medical schools I then realised a lot of them want you if you are retaking to have AAA, which would mean retaking exams for the 3 subjects.There is no gurantee after resitting i would definetly get A's anyway.
But thanks for the advice xxx
is it true that these unis dont require UKCAT test?
bristol,birmingham,Southampton, Liverpool and Cambridge.
is it too risky to apply to all non-ukcat unis?
Ama2007

Southampton does require the UKCAT.
Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and UCL require the BMAT.

Whether it's too 'risky' is down to you and your application.
Kinkerz
Southampton does require the UKCAT.
Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and UCL require the BMAT.

Whether it's too 'risky' is down to you and your application.

If we're talking graduate entry courses which I believe we are:

Cambridge don't require BMAT if you meet their pre-entry requirements.

Oxford ask for UKCAT

Imperial ask for the UKCAT

and UCL don't have a graduate course.
apotoftea
If we're talking graduate entry courses which I believe we are:

Cambridge don't require BMAT if you meet their pre-entry requirements.

Oxford ask for UKCAT

Imperial ask for the UKCAT

and UCL don't have a graduate course.

Right you are. Forgot I was in a graduate thread :colondollar:
Kinkerz
Right you are. Forgot I was in a graduate thread :colondollar:

pesky undergrads :p:
Ama2007

Southmapton require a UKCAT to be taken for their medicine courses.
"All applicants to the BM4, BM5 and BM6 programmes are required to take the UKCAT." - http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm4/ukcat/

What is the risk you think there might be? That these unis will have less to distinguish their candidates and therefore getting a place could be down to luck more?
ilovehotchocolate
I didn't do as much as I should really, and I only started on the cut off date for registering, so about a month before.

You've cheered me up somewhat :biggrin:

Looking forward to starting?
what about Birmingham? it says nothing on their website?
Ama2007
what about Birmingham? it says nothing on their website?

That's because it says they don't use any admissions tests :smile:
Reply 1190
I just wondered if everyone here had told their refeeree that they aspired to apply to medicine before asking them to be their reference? Because normally in college the tutors know what they need to put and also know you better on a personal level. Furthermore as I'm applying as an independent student the refeere sections is open for me so does that mean I need to past whatever they write in myself?
Check with your tutor since you can go through the "buzzword" system (look on ucas apply options)... otherwise if you're tutor's cool with you seeing what they write then get them to e-mail it to you first.
Reply 1192
How far in advance/what is the deadline for application to Graduate Entry Medicine for 2011? I wanted to get some experience before applying (preferably meaning I want to apply sometime next year for 2011 entry if that is possible?)

I know I have to take a UKCAT tests, do they have an expiration date?

tianuk3
How far in advance/what is the deadline for application to Graduate Entry Medicine for 2011? I wanted to get some experience before applying (preferably meaning I want to apply sometime next year for 2011 entry if that is possible?)

I know I have to take a UKCAT tests, do they have an expiration date?

Deadline is October 15th as it's done through UCAS.

You only have to take UKCAT if the course you're applying to asks for it. Registration is still open (http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation) but you'll need to get it done ASAP as the last testing date is 8th October. Also, you may have to go to an exam centre further away as they were getting fully booked when I booked mine back in July!

Also - what subject is your degree in? As certain GEP courses/unis only take certain degrees.
Reply 1194
z_2j96
Is anyone taking the UKCAT along with the GAMSAT this year? I am considering which medical schools to apply for next year... Definitely applying to Warwick! Thinking about St Georges as well!

There is no point of taking the GAMSAT exam unless you wish to apply for a select of around 4 Unis right? (Oxford, Imperial, Cambridge.etc)
Reply 1195
apotoftea
Deadline is October 15th as it's done through UCAS.

You only have to take UKCAT if the course you're applying to asks for it. Registration is still open (http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=keyDatesInformation) but you'll need to get it done ASAP as the last testing date is 8th October. Also, you may have to go to an exam centre further away as they were getting fully booked when I booked mine back in July!

Also - what subject is your degree in? As certain GEP courses/unis only take certain degrees.

My degree is forensics. I am just worried that currently I have next to no experience, should I go ahead and apply anyway now?
tianuk3
There is no point of taking the GAMSAT exam unless you wish to apply for a select of around 4 Unis right? (Oxford, Imperial, Cambridge.etc)

Umm Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial don't use GAMSAT.

SGUL, Swansea, Nottingham and Peninsula (5 year course) all do.

If you're an Arts grad, you only have 8 choices and 3 of them are GAMSAT unis...
does anyone know on the top of their head which unis use UKCAT/no test and not GAMSAT for a grad with a science degree?
indie_couture
does anyone know on the top of their head which unis use UKCAT/no test and not GAMSAT for a grad with a science degree?

Ok, all GEP courses will take a science degree so that's the first thing solved. You can apply to any of the courses available.

SGUL, Swansea, Keele and Nottingham use GAMSAT

Southampton, Imperial, Oxford, King's, Warwick, Barts, Newcastle, Leicester all use UKCAT

Cambridge don't require any test IF you meet the pre-entry admissions requirements (A-level Chemistry, then ASs in two of Bio, Physics and Maths).

Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol have no entry exams.
Reply 1199
thanks for all the help apotoftea. I went ahead and booked my appointment for UKCAT. I am looking at Kings, Warwick and Newcastle which all just need UKCAT. I have no experience though, so I am already volunteering for things, It is time to get my ass in gear and make sure I make my application before the deadline! Anyone have any idea when you start getting replies/offers and interviews?

Cheers

Latest

Trending

Trending