The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Altrozero
My mum would make a better Doctor than me. Sliced an inch into my finger with a Stanley knife, I panicked, she had pressure on and in the car for stitches within seconds.

How embarrassing.

Haha oh no, hope you're ok!
DexterM
Haha oh no, hope you're ok!

Couple of butterfly stitches and a good chat with the Dr about studying medicine later and I'm fine, if not a little demoralised about my lack of bravery.
DexterM
Thanks for the reply! Scores were 650, 650, 650, 710. Can't decide if it's a waste of a choice or not.

Nice to see another Psych applicant.

I think it's worth a shot at Warwick.
Altrozero
My mum would make a better Doctor than me. Sliced an inch into my finger with a Stanley knife, I panicked, she had pressure on and in the car for stitches within seconds.

How embarrassing.

tut tut get yourself on a 1st aid course! Hope the fingure is ok :smile:
DexterM
Thanks for the reply! Scores were 650, 650, 650, 710. Can't decide if it's a waste of a choice or not.

Go for it I think.
brokenangel
tut tut get yourself on a 1st aid course! Hope the fingure is ok :smile:

I think I should, might go to St John ambulance.
How's the finger?

(Another) question - 'at point of entry' means when the course starts right? If so, that may solve a number of issues as my AS Chem is already 6 years old. Ahhh this will make it much much easier! :biggrin:
apotoftea
How's the finger?

(Another) question - 'at point of entry' means when the course starts right? If so, that may solve a number of issues as my AS Chem is already 6 years old. Ahhh this will make it much much easier! :biggrin:

yeah it means when you start ie september 2011
brokenangel
yeah it means when you start ie september 2011

Yay. My AS Chem will be a year 'too old' which means I have to re-do it and will also explain it being on my certificates. Well that makes things easier :biggrin:

*back to personal statement*
apotoftea
Yay. My AS Chem will be a year 'too old' which means I have to re-do it and will also explain it being on my certificates. Well that makes things easier :biggrin:

*back to personal statement*

Good luck, does this mean your doing chemistry again
brokenangel
Good luck, does this mean your doing chemistry again

Yeah, but I don't mind - had to learn/revise most of it for GAMSAT anyway :smile:
apotoftea
Yeah, but I don't mind - had to learn/revise most of it for GAMSAT anyway :smile:

:eek::eek: good luck with that, did you use any courses for GAMSAT??? My current plan is placement year (if i get it) + GAMSAT + UKCAT then apply
brokenangel
:eek::eek: good luck with that, did you use any courses for GAMSAT??? My current plan is placement year (if i get it) + GAMSAT + UKCAT then apply

Nope, no courses. I just used the list of topics that the Griffiths review gives you as a basis of revision :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
GodspeedGehenna
Nice to see another Psych applicant.

I think it's worth a shot at Warwick.

Hantheman
Go for it I think.

Thanks for the help, friends and family have said go for it too. :smile:
Reply 1594
hey wondering if someone could be help me abit

is it worth resitting A-levels are they poor and than apply, i'll already have a degree in biomed at that point, A-levels be about 4- 5 years old, or is it worth just to keep to unis that don't care so much about A-levels and get/ hope for a high enough ukcat and that evil GAMSAT
No need in redoing your A levels if you already have a degree. Even Oxford say they ignore A levels.
Caspa
hey wondering if someone could be help me abit

is it worth resitting A-levels are they poor and than apply, i'll already have a degree in biomed at that point, A-levels be about 4- 5 years old, or is it worth just to keep to unis that don't care so much about A-levels and get/ hope for a high enough ukcat and that evil GAMSAT

Only worry about it if you desperately want to go somewhere that looks at or has required A-level subjects/grades.

I'm re-doing my Chemistry because it'll be 'out of date' with regards to point of entry :smile:

And I'm doing AS Bio as I don't have it :smile:
I have avoided my PS all weekend-it's just too cold and i'm ill :frown:

I was thinking about how many thousands of applicants they get every year and thought i'd google some sample PS's...i was shocked at how many start off with their desire to be a doctor ever since they visited one when they were younger-and the other one that seems to be quite common is people starting with quotations...

They all look the same to me-if I had a pile of a hundred to read through I think i'd be bored by number 10 so how on earth do we make ours look the most interesting than the rest?

I don't want to do anything fancy but I don't want to be PS number 357 by which time the readers want to have a snooze...!
2bIncognito
I have avoided my PS all weekend-it's just too cold and i'm ill :frown:

I was thinking about how many thousands of applicants they get every year and thought i'd google some sample PS's...i was shocked at how many start off with their desire to be a doctor ever since they visited one when they were younger-and the other one that seems to be quite common is people starting with quotations...

They all look the same to me-if I had a pile of a hundred to read through I think i'd be bored by number 10 so how on earth do we make ours look the most interesting than the rest?

I don't want to do anything fancy but I don't want to be PS number 357 by which time the readers want to have a snooze...!

Tell me about it. The worry is if you don't follow the formula are you thrown out for not hitting all the checkpoints?
2bIncognito

Mine opens with a statement of why i would make a good doctor not why i want to do it. Others I can think of is going stright into talking about work experiance etc and then use your work ex to explain why you want to do it.

Hantheman
Tell me about it. The worry is if you don't follow the formula are you thrown out for not hitting all the checkpoints?

You can change the order you do it in or the way you write it quite easily, ie if you have something really impressive (international publications, work experiance abroad etc) then open with that so it stick in the person reading its head
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending