The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

apotoftea
is it really corny to say 'with patient care at the very heart' (in ref to the hospital structure and care?).

All I seem to be writing at the moment are horrible cliches :banghead:

If that's what you're trying to reinforce how about:

"patient care is the core purpose/fundamental goal of hospital structure and care"

How bout that?
(edited 13 years ago)
apotoftea
is it really corny to say 'with patient care at the very heart' (in ref to the hospital structure and care?).

If you listen to David Cameron then yeah, sure - this is exactly what you should write.

The NHS White Paper is just a bundle of neatly presented cliches.
Just took out my 'death is inevitable' bit :work:
Sammi22
Another possibly daft question. Say we apply for one of the 5 year courses, at a university that also offers GEP e.g. Southampton, will this be of a disadvantage to us, as surely they'll think "wait a minute, why didn't this person apply for GEP?".

It's handled by two different admin teams, the 4yr and the 5yr, so unless they physically check, which they prob won't have time for, they won't know. They also won't care. Or they may be really nice and stick you in for both. Leicester did that to me. I applied 4yr, they rejected me from that because I didn't have a yr full time experience, I had 2 years part time, so they passed my details on to the 5yr people who eventually gave me an interview and offer. There can be other reasons for applying to 5yr not 4 yr, perhaps you like lectures and not so much self directed learning, or you want the extra time to study, or you don't have a science background so you want the time to get to grips with it.
Hello! Thought I'd pop in to say hope your GAMSAT went well and your applications are running as hectically smoothly as they can :smile:
More information on fee codes:

I spoke to someone else from UCAS today and they re-confirmed that the "proper" fee code for graduate medicine is 1 for private finance. This one seemed to know a bit more about the course and made it clear to me that they can't bind you to paying foreign student fees or lock you out of maintenance loan/NHS grants even if you tick the wrong box! It's just so the universities know roughly how many people are getting loans, and it only applies to the first year in any case. Hope this helps people, it confused and worried me for a while.
apotoftea

I know what you mean! I have been thinking about whether my PS is a load of cliches!
But I think in the end there is a difference between a useful phrase and a cliche. If that fits nicely with the rest of your sentence and flows etc then don't think it’s a problem.
Thinking of new ways of saying things doesn't always work because there are some tried and tested phrases that work well.
Obviously, there are some boring cliches out there though like 'unquenched thirst for knowledge' :smile:

Also, if that sentence is from when you're talking about some work experience in cardiology then it would be an amazing line! :nah:
Ok Nottingham or Swansea for my last choice (not in preference just last I thought of)?

Nottingham is apparently a better med school, but Swansea has 70 slots (don't know how many grads Notts take)
xy7690*
i just emailed cambridge admissions, and they said if you dont have AS level bio/maths/physics then you can put it on your UCAS as pending and sit it this may, but they want grade A!

so i doubt ill apply there now

i got 650 in my ukcat, and so am only applying for 5 year courses at UCL...but does anyone know if st georges, and qmul are UKCAT heavy when selecting people for interview?
thanks

qmul apparently are fairly ukcat heavy and have a cut off around 670 or so, SGUL are a GAMSAT university so I don't think they would be, but you'd need to have done GAMSAT...
apotoftea
Just took out my 'death is inevitable' bit :work:

I HAD THAT EXACT SAME SENTENCE...!!!
How heck are we spose to fit all info into our ps's?

I've written about my work as HCA and work in GP surgery, still have vitalise and hospice work to put in and i'm already way over limit...saying that though my opening paragraph why I want to do medicine is fairly lengthy.

*sigh* 10 lines for rest :yep: ?
(edited 13 years ago)
silly personal statement...hate it hate it hate it...i can't seem to find the right ways to say anything anymore...and feeling so annoyed at me...

:frown:
I hate UCAS. I received my track details today, so went online to check them...and noticed a mistake!!!! I checked my original application to see that it wasn't my fault, it wasn't! In the section for qualifications, they have put down that the centre where i did my degree is the same as the centre where i did my A-levels. Come on people! Now i have had to email all my choices and explain this to them, i hope it doesn't affect my application and that the unis don't think that i made the mistake as it is not my fault. Stupid UCAS!
Good luck to everyone applying this year, UKCAT course tomorrow :frown: 1st of many before next years application
Uh oh, just looked on UCAS and it's telling me that my previously 'marked as complete' reference section can be edited and needs a valid email address? Does these mean the reference I put in from my referee hasn't gone through? I marked the section as complete before the 5th and it is a valid email address! Arrggghhhhhhhh.
Well my Cam form has been sent to my referees so I've kinda done my personal statement as they require two separate sections. Just need to merge the two and add a bit about extra-curricula stuff to form my actual PS.

Yay :biggrin:
DexterM
Uh oh, just looked on UCAS and it's telling me that my previously 'marked as complete' reference section can be edited and needs a valid email address? Does these mean the reference I put in from my referee hasn't gone through? I marked the section as complete before the 5th and it is a valid email address! Arrggghhhhhhhh.

The same thing happened to me. There is a edit button below, but it does not let me change anything. Also, I can't view my reference anymore. And, highlighted in green, it says you must enter a valid email address.

I marked my reference as complete, before the end of september, so I should be fine. Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen.
firestar101
The same thing happened to me. There is a edit button below, but it does not let me change anything. Also, I can't view my reference anymore. And, highlighted in green, it says you must enter a valid email address.

I marked my reference as complete, before the end of september, so I should be fine. Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen.

Thankyou for posting that, I feel much calmer now! :p: I think it might just be a website glitch, but I'll definitely ring them and check on Monday.
UCAS homepage after logging in says 'If your reference section is marked as complete please ignore the message advising 'you must enter a valid email address'. DO NOT TRY AND UPDATE THE REFEREE'S EMAIL ADDRESS'
Ahh crap, I went to do my predicted grades and it's mucked it all up. Stupid thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending