The Student Room Group

Oxford History Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mack3
Got my first offer today...Nottingham for History, AAA!
SO happy as its my third choice and I got it first!

Got my Nottingham offer yesterday too! Takes away a lot of stress :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by Lumi Nous
Got my Nottingham offer yesterday too! Takes away a lot of stress :smile:

Yeah I was soooo happy with it...Its one of my top choices so I was dead chuffed when it came through first!
Original post by mack3
Got my first offer today...Nottingham for History, AAA!
SO happy as its my third choice and I got it first!

Holy crap that's quite high?!
Reply 183
Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb
Holy crap that's quite high?!

Yeah it is but I think even Exeter might offer AAA...apparently Warwick might be A*AA, I hope not!!!! I'd love to go Warwick. But yeah it is interestlingly aat Nottingham the offer for English is AAB. you'd expect English to be more competitive wouldn't you?!
Original post by mack3
Yeah it is but I think even Exeter might offer AAA...apparently Warwick might be A*AA, I hope not!!!! I'd love to go Warwick. But yeah it is interestlingly aat Nottingham the offer for English is AAB. you'd expect English to be more competitive wouldn't you?!

You definitely would! Although I'm not sure, is the Nottingham History Dept particularly good then? And A*AA is a ridiculously high offer for History! I haven't recieved any offers yet - apparently KCL and Bristol don't give out offers until the Jan deadline?
Reply 185
Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb
You definitely would! Although I'm not sure, is the Nottingham History Dept particularly good then? And A*AA is a ridiculously high offer for History! I haven't recieved any offers yet - apparently KCL and Bristol don't give out offers until the Jan deadline?

I've not heard about those. However, I've also heard this about Warwick...I think different departments operate differently as I was told the same about Nottingham and got an offer in two weeks! SO you never know!
Reply 186
Another offer! But its AAB from East Anglia :/ I thought it would be ABB. But oh well can't complain!
Hey, I'm applying for straight history at Wadham. I thought there'd be more of us :smile:

About the essay, my teacher thinks I should send in a source analysis essay that's only 1,300 words long. I'm tempted (as I have barely anything to change about it!), but am I disadvantaging myself?
Oh, and I got my first offer on Monday from Liverpool(ABB) :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by marieparis22
Hey, I'm applying for straight history at Wadham. I thought there'd be more of us :smile:

About the essay, my teacher thinks I should send in a source analysis essay that's only 1,300 words long. I'm tempted (as I have barely anything to change about it!), but am I disadvantaging myself?
Oh, and I got my first offer on Monday from Liverpool(ABB) :smile:

Hey!
I'm the only one for Keble on here, bit lonely lol.
I don't think you can send in a piece of source analysis just a straight forward, content based essay.
Where else have you applied to?
Has anyone had a letter requesting written work?

I haven't received anything but an email acknowledging that I've registered for the HAT and acknowledgment from the central admissions office for my application.

At the moment, I'm having to write an A2 standard History essay to submit by the 10th.
Applying for HISTORY at JESUS, got a nice little email acknowledging my application which went straight to my Junk mail not sure they'd be pleased about that :s-smilie: but yeah, haven't got any letters about written work, haven't written the essay i'm going to send in yet but i'm sure genius will strike at the last minute :smile: My sixth form college isn't the most organised and we haven't really done any reasonable History essays this year, so on my own. Not going to get worked up about HAT, as long as you relax and give it a go, you've got a chance of getting an interview. Anyone else going for Jesus? How's everyone feeling? RELAX.
Applying for History at Balliol. Like everyone else, terrified about HAT. Guess I'm just going to have to look over the stuff I've done over the last 3 years over the course of THE NEXT 6 DAYS!! :eek::eek:

The piece I'm going to send in has just been ravaged by my teacher who is the most difficult man to please ever (incidentally, an old oxonian as well...).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mack3
Hey!
I'm the only one for Keble on here, bit lonely lol.
I don't think you can send in a piece of source analysis just a straight forward, content based essay.
Where else have you applied to?

Loneliness equates to less competition, I guess :smile:

Thanks for the advice. My essay is kind of a mock coursework on the Puritan threat under Elizabeth, and the professors at Wadham said anything goes, pretty much, but I'd rather not risk it. They even said I could send in my English essay, but again, I'm not risking it :smile:
I'm also terrified about the HAT, but I don't think there's too much we can do as it's an aptitude test, not a knowledge exam :s-smilie:

I'm applying to Oxford, UCL, King's, St. Andrews and Liverpool.
I take it back! I don't know why the professors said that sources were okay as the website directly contradicts that. I most probably misunderstood :smile:. Brilliant. I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon of Russia essays :smile:
Reply 194
My essay is on the Irish Potato Famine...I spent so long researching it and doing additional reading...I hope the tutors like it!!! hahah
Original post by flywithemma

Original post by flywithemma
Hi :smile: I'm applying to New College, for History.
Surprisingly, I'm not THAT nervous for the HAT, more so for the essay I have to send in...which I'm writing on the causes of the 1905 Russian Revolution, because it's the most relevant topic to what I'm currently studying at school (Russia, synoptic paper 1855-1964...). However we haven't got up to 1905 yet (currently just started Nicholas II), so I am having to do lots of reading in the next week or so to get myself up to scratch...then send it in. Do you know if we get told where/when to send it, or do we just contact the college directly? I also find it daunting that we've not TECHNICALLY had to register for the HAT...knowing my luck the paper won't appear at my school, haha, seeing as I'm the only one sitting it! :s-smilie:

Hello! why aren't you nervous about the HAT? I sure am. I'm applying for history and french, at new college too, so i just thought i'd say hi. I'm also very worried that my school won't receive the paper...no one seems too sure about it...hmmmm..i guess we'll find out soon. anyway, good luck with it, and see you at interview (hopefully!)
Original post by flopsy_mopsy
Hello! why aren't you nervous about the HAT? I sure am. I'm applying for history and french, at new college too, so i just thought i'd say hi. I'm also very worried that my school won't receive the paper...no one seems too sure about it...hmmmm..i guess we'll find out soon. anyway, good luck with it, and see you at interview (hopefully!)

I have no clue why i'm not nervous...I think nerves will probably start kicking in at the weekend. I think it's because I've been focusing so much on the essay recently...and also because I haven't done THAT much HAT practice...I've done one practice paper, and planned some questions...so there haven't been many 'aahh, i'm not doing what the mark scheme said' moments...if that makes sense.
have you done loooooads of practice? I know someone from another school who is doing it, and they've done every single practice paper there is in proper exam/timed conditions. Ahh. that worried me a bit.

and YEY New College :smile: it would be cool if we both ended up there!
ERM....soooooo. Anyone only written the first two paragraphs of their essay? Just me. Ok. Maybe i should get off TSR and go do some more.

And haven't done any of the papers in timed conditions, looked through a couple, thought about what i'd write, and then compared with the markscheme. And died a little inside. It does say on the paper "We don't expect candidates to prepare for the HAT." If everyone followed that advice, we'd all be fine :wink:
Reply 198
I'm applying to Jesus college for history from America. I just got an email a couple days ago that explained all that I need do in great detail. I'm not too worried for the HAT but I am worried that my paper on recent changes in Nigeria might be a little too modern to be history. It's something different, and I use the same historical analysis to explain current events, but it's quite recent and economics based.
Applying to Brasenose for straight History. Cannot actually believe the HAT is so soon! Been doing some prep but it definitely strikes me as it's going to be the luck of the day as to how it goes.

Written work...I've done one essay this term but I think I might do another to send off instead because I'm not sure how good it was. :\. Got an email from Brasenose and the interview structure doesn't scare me as much as I thought...just need to get through this HAT now and stop procrastinating!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending