The Student Room Group

please help, am quite lost over this-picking up another language while doing degree

hi!
i'd like to do a joint degree in english lit and german. i've heard the hours in lectures/lessons are quite short and was told that i would be able to maybe start learning another language whilst doing the degree.

i was wondering if the universities provides this option and how i can find it while looking at unis
and whether they give any qualifications if you reach a certain level of skill?
thanks
Reply 1
Read through the languages department website, they may have information regarding courses/modules
Reply 2
Depends on the uni. Most usually have a language centre where you can take classes, either for credit or extra-curricular.

BUT. It seems to be a common mistake to make - just because there aren't that many hours of lectures/seminars, does not mean that is all the work to do for the week. You have to factor in private study, which makes up the majority of university work. So you may have more on your plate than you originally anticipate.
Reply 3
i've found out it's from here it's called ab initio.
does anyone know of any unis that ab initio french?
Reply 4
Ab initio just means you're starting it from scratch. But it's only really considered 'ab initio' if it's part of your degree programme. Otherwise you're looking at 'beginners' French' etc.

For example - At University Of Leeds where I studied German, you could do BA Joint Hons English Lit and German and as an elective take Beginners French.
Reply 5
We do. I haven't had time to look at anywhere else yet.
Reply 6
Ab initio is when you take a language from scratch as part of your degree. If you mean lunch or evening classes, it's just 'beginner's'.

The level you can reach normally depends on the language. You'll be able to find out how many levels they offer if you contact the languages department. They normally offer the highest level (which I think is around AS level) for the most popular languages like French and Spanish or you may be able to take some more unusual languages to a lower level because the classes will be smaller.

I think you'll have more work than you think though because as Fleece said, the majority of work you do should be private study.

Latest

Trending

Trending