The Student Room Group

Can I take A-level Biology and Human Biology at the same time, all in one year?

Hi there,

This is gonna sound very ignorant, but:

1. I want to do AS and A2 Bio in one year, and take additional Hum Bio modules to get the A-level Human Biology. Possible?
2. Also I would like to self-study (with guidance to get strated)
3. Can I just come in for practicals?
4. Is it too late to start (entry in 1st sept???) ?

Please let me know your comments

I did the IB over past two years, unconditional course change for 2010 for which I need biology.

Still enquiring to schools and unis for help

Thank you
IB_struggling_survivor

1. I want to do AS and A2 Bio in one year, and take additional Hum Bio modules to get the A-level Human Biology. Possible?
2. Also I would like to self-study (with guidance to get strated)
3. Can I just come in for practicals?
4. Is it too late to start (entry in 1st sept???) ?

A-level Biology + Human Biology is an exceedingly rare combination, because they are considered as two separate subjects that overlap considerably (unlike IB Biology, where the option topics are just alternatives for the one subject Biology), and so are counted as one subject as part of a school's league tables. I'd advise you to do A-level Biology alone.

Feasibility: Possible, if you are prepared to put up with clashes (where two or more exams last more than 3hrs together have to be moved around, which means you lose a lunch break OR you have to stay at a teacher's house without Internet/mobile). The problem is that all the equivalent Biology (for AQA, = BIOL1, BIOL2, BIOL4, BIOL5) and Human Biology (for AQA = HBIO1, HBIO2, HBIO4, HBIO5) exams are at the same time. You would have to do some in January, except that Unit 5 of either isn't available in Jan 2010. Hence you would inevitably have a clash in summer 2010 (between for BIOL5 and HBIO5).

Practicals: You would have to do several sets of coursework over the course with a final practical test (but the time/date decided upon by a teacher) - either the PSA/ISA or the PSV/EMPA route for AQA. This has to be supervised in the centre; very few are likely to want to do this.

Late: Not technically (as in, exam entries haven't been finalised yet). But that depends on your chosen centre, and your own motivation.
michaelyus
A-level Biology + Human Biology is an exceedingly rare combination, because they are considered as two separate subjects that overlap considerably (unlike IB Biology, where the option topics are just alternatives for the one subject Biology), and so are counted as one subject as part of a school's league tables. I'd advise you to do A-level Biology alone.

Feasibility: Possible, if you are prepared to put up with clashes (where two or more exams last more than 3hrs together have to be moved around, which means you lose a lunch break OR you have to stay at a teacher's house without Internet/mobile). The problem is that all the equivalent Biology (for AQA, = BIOL1, BIOL2, BIOL4, BIOL5) and Human Biology (for AQA = HBIO1, HBIO2, HBIO4, HBIO5) exams are at the same time. You would have to do some in January, except that Unit 5 of either isn't available in Jan 2010. Hence you would inevitably have a clash in summer 2010 (between for BIOL5 and HBIO5).

Practicals: You would have to do several sets of coursework over the course with a final practical test (but the time/date decided upon by a teacher) - either the PSA/ISA or the PSV/EMPA route for AQA. This has to be supervised in the centre; very few are likely to want to do this.

Late: Not technically (as in, exam entries haven't been finalised yet). But that depends on your chosen centre, and your own motivation.

Thanks very much michaelyus.

I'm obviously committed to biology it's so cool! I guess the best thing is, as you say, to contact individual institutions, which i will do.

Will let you know.

Latest