The Student Room Group

Is it possible to complete A-Level Biology in 1 year?

Is it possible to complete A-Level Biology in 1 year? I mean the entire course including AS...Would anyone be able to confirm if it's at all possible?
Reply 1
Original post by islandgirl13
Is it possible to complete A-Level Biology in 1 year? I mean the entire course including AS...Would anyone be able to confirm if it's at all possible?

I'm not sure about Biology but I have completed my A-levels in Chemistry, Physics and Maths in a single year. I would say it is doable as long as you work hard.
Reply 2

As someone who got an A* in biology I can most certainly say it is possible to complete it in one year. It will be time consuming but with the right guide you can definitely do it! As a suggestion, I would advise you use "Miss Estruch" to learn from and make flashcards from her videos. She covers the entire specification (A-level and AS!) and simplifies all the concepts so it is digestible and easily understood. Since biology has lots of facts, making flashcards will help you remember information. Once you have completed the whole specification you can do past papers. That is all I did and it worked perfectly. Also, watching her videos will make you go through the content so much faster as she gets straight to the point. I wish you luck with your endeavours but remember you have to work hard!

Additionally, If you are thinking of doing the course in your gap year (I assume you are a mature student?) be aware that there are required practical's that you have to do in order to pass the course; you need a practical endorsement from completing 12 required practical's with evidence. I am not sure how you would be able to pass this if you were self-learning biology but this is something else you should be aware of. I would suggest talking to colleges and explaining your situation so you can see if it is possible to work with them to get the practical endorsements as you need sufficient evidence and you need scientific equipment. I may be wrong in suggesting that but nonetheless, you can discuss with them how you could do it!
(edited 9 months ago)

i got one of the highest results in the country when i did A level biology a few years ago and i still wouldn't have risked trying to do it all in one year given that you'll have other subjects to study for at the same time. i'd only risk it if you're a top 1% Cambridge type student. it's certainly possible but just not with A level chem and another subject at the same time, as well as a social life. my advice is to spend that time on getting a part time job, one of my biggest mistakes looking back

I got an A* last year in OCR A Biology and I would honestly say that although it is probably doable it will be very very tough, even more so if you're doing it alongside other A-Level subjects/ having a job. You need to consider what your motivation is for doing this because you will need a lot of willpower and determination because A-Level Biology is HARD and wants very specific and meticulous answers when it comes to exam questions. BUT as I said before it is completely doable if you know why you want to do it and you really put the effort in. If you need any other advice/have any other questions about how I got my grade feel free to DM me! Good luck with whatever decision you make too !!
I think it depends on how much you like biology and how easy you find it. I could've probably done it in a year as I found the content interesting (most of it at least lol) and quite easy to grasp (there were obviously exceptions to this) so I only really had to do exam practice to perfect my technique. But it is a really content heavy and difficult A-Level so it entirely depends on what type of student you are and how motivated you are to study biology.
Reply 6
Original post by kaorimiyazono
I think it depends on how much you like biology and how easy you find it. I could've probably done it in a year as I found the content interesting (most of it at least lol) and quite easy to grasp (there were obviously exceptions to this) so I only really had to do exam practice to perfect my technique. But it is a really content heavy and difficult A-Level so it entirely depends on what type of student you are and how motivated you are to study biology.

Yes you absolutely can, how easily just depends on what circumstances you're in. If youre in a gap year and its smth u can focus on then finishing it in a year should be reasonably easy. If you are doing 4 A levels at school and self studying it at home, then you could still do it in a year, but it would be considerably harder. I dont think there are any A levels (though I dont know much about the humanities in fairness) that you couldnt complete in a year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending