The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emillie.humphrey
ive been charged with supplying cannabis? im applying for uni in december time, so my conviction will be fairly new.. any thoughts anyone? what are my chances?

I hope you made it to uni :smile:
Original post by flugestuge
Certain professions give members access to vast amounts of other peoples money, dangerous substances, young children, vulnerable people and intimate details of others personal lives. Letting a known criminal have access to these is a recipe for disaster.

Lol
Have any universities ever accepted anybody with a terrorism conviction even to study an innocuous course like history or computer science?
Original post by Arran90
Have any universities ever accepted anybody with a terrorism conviction even to study an innocuous course like history or computer science?

London Metropolitan appointed Jawad Botmeh to be a researcher in its Working Lives Research Institute and he was subsequently a governor of the institutions.

His car bomb only contained 30 pounds of explosive, only one floor of the embassy collapsed in the blast and only 14 people were injured.
Original post by nulli tertius
London Metropolitan appointed Jawad Botmeh to be a researcher in its Working Lives Research Institute and he was subsequently a governor of the institutions.

His car bomb only contained 30 pounds of explosive, only one floor of the embassy collapsed in the blast and only 14 people were injured.

That was back in the 1990s. I'm more interested in recent convictions.

I read somewhere that Talha Ahsan cannot study for a PhD because he pleaded guilty in an American court (under their system of plea bargaining) to terrorism.
So your actually in uni
Reply 46
I've noticed that a lot of the comments are saying criminal convictions will prevent an acceptance letter. However, in my experience this wasn't the case.

While convictions may carry weight, I was accepted to study psychology in London while still on probation for driving under the influence. In fact, I was still granted a student visa during this time. I'm from the US so I just had to send a letter to my probation officer every month for a year basically saying I hadn't caused any more trouble. I did however have to pay a lawyer a reasonable amount to negotiate these terms between my court and the UK court.

Additionally, a year prior to the DUI, I was convicted of resisting an officer without violence.

The bottom line is, apply to university. Be honest in your application. Don't let your past mistakes hinder you in the future, and don't listen to anyone assuming that universities don't want you. I imagine that if I did, I wouldn't have just been accepted into medical school.
Thanks a lot for your opinion. I definitely need that.
Original post by 319307
Must.not.rant.

So bloody what if people have a criminal record? We have criminals running the damn country. Education should be universal, and if people have the ability to pass exams and learn, then why should they not be allowed to get into higher education? As a poster here said, Stephen Fry had a conviction for fraud.

Seriously, so effing what.

Someone said it. People shouldn’t be banned from educating themselves due to their mistakes.
Original post by Ayyyellio
Someone said it. People shouldn’t be banned from educating themselves due to their mistakes.

You do realise this thread is ten years old?
It is an interesting point though.
People are not banned from educating themselves, but there are laws.
If you have a criminal record then a university has a right to know what that is if you are applying to join.
It is relevant if:
1. It poses a risk to other students.
2. It poses a risk to people who they might come into contact with their course, children, vulnerable or elderly people.

Universities are quite open minded otherwise and do not prevent people receiving an education.
It is quite right students and other vulnerable people are protected from certain ex or current convicts.
Reply 50
Please I need your help and advice very urgent

Latest

Trending

Trending