The Student Room Group

Conditional caution but I have a job offer

I’ve received a job offer in and finance role but they’ve only asked me to disclose unspent criminal convictions. I’m aware that this is an unspent caution so I’m still confused if should disclose this information.
This caution was a drunk and disorderly one. I was totally in the wrong and won’t make this mistake again.
Original post by Adz19
I’ve received a job offer in and finance role but they’ve only asked me to disclose unspent criminal convictions. I’m aware that this is an unspent caution so I’m still confused if should disclose this information.
This caution was a drunk and disorderly one. I was totally in the wrong and won’t make this mistake again.

Give them the information that they are requesting as better to be honest about anything now than they perhaps find out later....!!!
They can ask for a enhanced DBS if they wanted to but obviously they haven't.

It shouldn't affect your job position as it's only a drinking and disorderly caution you got.
definitely tell them. that way there will be no surprises in the future.
Reply 3
They’ve only requested for unspent criminal conviction, a caution is not a conviction.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Isn’t it risky as I will be disclosing information that isn’t requested?

Original post by the bear
definitely tell them. that way there will be no surprises in the future.
Original post by Adz19

no. it shows good faith on your part.
Original post by Adz19
This caution was a drunk and disorderly one. I was totally in the wrong and won’t make this mistake a

Read through the guidance at https://www.gov.uk/tell-employer-or-college-about-criminal-record
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
A caution is not a criminal conviction.
From the Gov link I posted earlier; If you have an unspent conviction or caution
You only need to tell an organisation about an unspent conviction or caution if they ask you to.

If they ask you and you do not tell them about it, they might find out by using a DBS check. They could then reject your application or withdraw a job offer, or you might be charged with a crime.
Reply 9
Original post by bamtutor
From the Gov link I posted earlier; If you have an unspent conviction or caution
You only need to tell an organisation about an unspent conviction or caution if they ask you to.

If they ask you and you do not tell them about it, they might find out by using a DBS check. They could then reject your application or withdraw a job offer, or you might be charged with a crime.

Hi

I agree that it is essential to tell employers if they ask for this information.
It seems OP is intending to declare but is asking whether or not to declare a caution when it asks for convictions.
Reply 10
Original post by bamtutor

Original post by Cote1
Hi

I agree that it is essential to tell employers if they ask for this information.
It seems OP is intending to declare but is asking whether or not to declare a caution when it asks for convictions.

But they’ve only asked me to disclose unspent criminal convictions.
If they’ve asked for me to disclose unspent cautions I will inform them. They will notice the caution during the crb check where I’ll be happy to discuss what happened to them.

Im unsure what ‘OP’ is?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Adz19
But they’ve only asked me to disclose unspent criminal convictions.
If they’ve asked for me to disclose unspent cautions I will inform them. They will notice the caution during the crb check where I’ll be happy to discuss what happened to them.

Im unsure what ‘OP’ is?

I think it is original poster
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
Some good news for anyone who is worried about a caution. I didn't notify them (huge risk btw), but I've been working in finance with a caution for while. My DnD caution was spent a couple of months ago so I doubt they'll see it as enhanced DBS checks are for Directors etc so don't let this kill your HOPE! unless you're going for a management position which is unlikely straight out of uni so don't worry!

My only concern is travelling abroad for work but we move...

btw Ronaldo has a caution LOL
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 13
It's not a risk. A conditional caution is not a conviction and if you were asked to disclose convictions, you don't have to declare it. This isn't some kind of loophole - this is the entire point of having police non-judicial outcomes like fines and cautions. Only the courts can give you a conviction.
Why would you have to declare a caution ? Isn’t it spent ? And they only asked for unspent convictions ?
Reply 15
Original post by Adz19

Yes it is risky. Only need to give them the info they have asked for. No need to worry. Cautions are automatically spent
Reply 16
Original post by the bear
no. it shows good faith on your part.

Wrong. It could create confusion for no reason. The caution however won't show up on the level of DBs this role is asking for, so why disclose it if the company aren't asking for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending