The Student Room Group

What historical moment do you wish you could have witnessed?

I wish I could have witnessed so many moments in the African-American Civil Rights Movement, from the race riots in Detroit & Harlem in 1943, to Rosa Parks' bus stand in 1955 which led to the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and from the foundation of the Black Panther Party in 1966, to the riots that followed Reverend Dr Martin Luther King Jr's murder in 1968; but if there is one single moment I wish I could have witnessed, it would have been King's "I Have a Dream Speech", delivered from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on August 28th, 1963. For a few moments, he gave a community hope that many of them had never felt before, and many more wouldn't feel again for quite some years. It was the defining moment of the movement, and one of the defining moments of the 20th Century.

What historical moment do you wish you could have witnessed?

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps the beheading of Charles I.
Reply 2
Not really what I would pick, but seeing as I've just read your signature and am about to PM you about it, I'll say Jesse Owens' phenomenal performance at the 1936 Berlin games.
Reply 3
Ascient
Not really what I would pick, but seeing as I've just read your signature and am about to PM you about it, I'll say Jesse Owens' phenomenal performance at the 1936 Berlin games.

What would it really be? I would have loved to have witnessed that, particularly the awards ceremony.
Reply 4
KiiNGofLONDON
What would it really be? I would have loved to have witnessed that, particularly the awards ceremony.

I really couldn't pick just the one. On the same lines as above, seeing Smith & Carlos in '68 would also have been a privilege.
Nirvana's headlining performance at the 1992 Reading Festival :smile:
stalins younger years when he was a poet
that
or elizabeth I's birth
Reply 7
Obama's speech at Grant park would have been cool also i would have liked to have seen 9/11 so i could fully realise the horror that took place.
Reply 8
Conquest of Istanbul by the Ottomans in 1453.
Reply 9
The last coronation maybe (195-something). Just for the lulz.
1933, One of Hitler's speeches, I don't support it, but it is amazing how he spoke and how he could swing the people to him and it was a huge moment of the 20th century(except my German is awful).
Reply 11
Julius Caesar having gay sex with King Nicomedes of Bithynia.
Reply 12
It would be amazing to see one of the major battles of history like Trafalgar or something.
Reply 13
Allied troops reaching Berlin. And give every single one of them a salute.
Reply 14
or the battle of gallipoli
Storming of the Bastille, liberation of Paris in WW2, fall of the Berlin Wall...the Big Bang. Dunno really.
Rucklo
Allied troops reaching Berlin. And give every single one of them a salute.

It wasn't really Allied troops it was just Russians...plus it wasn't quite plain sailing into Berlin, 80,000 Russians died capturing the city.
Execution of Charles I and Anne Boleyn.

I'dve loved to have been a fly on the wall in Henry VIII's court. It'd be epic :biggrin:
Rasputin's death
Reply 19
Moe Lester
It wasn't really Allied troops it was just Russians...plus it wasn't quite plain sailing into Berlin, 80,000 Russians died capturing the city.

Yeah it would be Russian's i Know :p: .

And yeah i would like it to be after that :yep:.

Though it would have been an honour to fight with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending