The Student Room Group

Yasmin - Cystic acne :(

I was prescribed Yasmin the birth control pill for my spots and I've been on it for two months. My skin wasn't awful to begin with - I had a few spots all over my face but they weren't painful or swollen. Since I've started taking this pill, my face has broken out in painful cystic acne all around my jawline and over my cheeks :frown: I've never had spots like this is my life. The strange thing is that whenever I go on my seven day break my skin starts to clear up, then I start to break out again when I start the new pack. It's so frustrating. I've done my research and I'm aware that a lot of people report skin getting worse before it gets better, but this is ridiculous. I'm not sure whether my skin is just another case of this, or this is a sign that this pill is not for me.
Can anyone tell me how long it took for this pill to start clearing up their spots? Thanks a lot :smile:
Oh drat, I already have acne and I was waiting to finish my pack of Cilest so I could start on Yasmin for my PCO. Should I just stay with Cilest? But it's reallllyyyy not working for me...
I was eating a fig roll then I read about cystic acne and now I don't want the fig roll any more.
Reply 4
emmielociraptor
Oh drat, I already have acne and I was waiting to finish my pack of Cilest so I could start on Yasmin for my PCO. Should I just stay with Cilest? But it's reallllyyyy not working for me...

If Cilest isn't working you might aswell give Yasmin a go, because some people say it's amazing once it gets working. This is also why I'm reluctant to change just yet. Good luck :smile:
Anonymous
If Cilest isn't working you might aswell give Yasmin a go, because some people say it's amazing once it gets working. This is also why I'm reluctant to change just yet. Good luck :smile:

Haha I'll probably change anyway. Cilest is low dose which is probably why it's giving me gip. I've been in constant abdominal pain for about a week now.

I'm on antibiotics for my acne anyway so maybe I'll be alright.
Reply 6
I'm just a boy so I don't know, but I thought there were loads of different pills? Some of my mates have even tried to get on certain ones, because they've made other friends' boobs grow!
When I was on Yasmin, I had no spots, but it gave me phsycotic episodes.
Moral of the story? Each and every persons experiences will be different.
i took yasmine as a contraceptive method and also cause its 'skin friendly properties' it helped my acne..its not bad acne really..but bad enough i felt self concious. since coming off it my acne flares around my period, on yasmine it didnt..guess some things work diffrently for diffrent people. Try changing your pill.
Reply 9
Hi Annonymous,

I am having the EXACT same problem as you, but on Cilest. I breakout everytime I start a new pack, but my skin clears up during my pill free week, only to breakout again when I start the next pack. I don't know whether this is normal or whether it means I should switch pills?
Have you seen any improvements? or have you switched pills?

I tried Yasmin but had too many problems so had to stop, although that didn't help my skin either.

So confused!
Reply 10
I use Microgynon-I've been on it since april, and for the first few times I was a total wreck, and now I'm fine. It might just be your body reacting to a sudden influx of hormones, and it might settle down eventually. I haven't had any side effects apart from a few mood swings before I got used to it.

I'd go to your doctor and see if they can change the pill, or prescribe some cream for the acne.

Good luck.
I am on my fourth month of Yasmin. My acne was moderate before with a bad breakout once a month, but never on my back or chest. I have experienced the worst breakouts of my life over the past four months on Yasmin and it spread to my back. I have nodules and cysts so huge and painful like I've never experienced. They are on my neck, jawline and cheeks mainly and very painful and scarring is awful.

However, I remain hopeful because I know my hormones already messed up due to PCOS need longer than four months to adjust to Yasmin. They say around months 5-6 things improve, so I'm sticking with Yasmin for another two months at least. If no improvement by then, I will have no choice than to try Roaccutane. I thought my skin would have dried out a little by now, but still have a face you could fry chicken on. The side effects are awful too expecially the tender, engorged breasts that ache so much I can't even run or jump up and down. If I don't see an improvement by month six I really will be annoyed, but there's no point in that. At least with Roaccutane you don't have to keep taking it for he rest of your life.

Fingers crossed and thinking positive is sometimes all we can do. Much love to all you acne sufferers out there. I know how hard it is.
I had severe cystic acne at the end of year 10.
Get on Accutane its the only thing which always works.
My skin is flawless after a year of finishing a sixth month course.

Quick Reply

Latest