The Student Room Group

Finishing university for the summer - when?

Hi, I start my degree next week and the email I recieved from them says...

Autumn Term: 21 September 2009 - 18 December 2009
Spring Term: 11 January 2010 - 19 March 2010
Summer Term: 12 April 2010 - 02 July 2010

Total: 35 weeks

The academic year runs from the end of September until July, and consists of:

1 week of Induction and Registration
24 weeks of teaching and elements of continuous assessment such as essays, practical assignments, reports, or seminar presentations
1 week of revision
3 weeks of assessment and/or exams
3 weeks of marking and moderation
2 weeks of referral work / 2nd year introductory work
1 week final assessments

I also know a lot of people who finish a lot earlier than July too. How likely is it that my course will finish before then, and that July is just when the university closes or something?!

I want to email them but seeing as I haven't even started my course yet, I feel it's too early to ask. I'd just like to know as I'm going to be making plans for my summer soon and would like to know when I can set off on my travels! :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 1
That will just be when the academic year ends, in reality you'll probably finish before that. Exam period normally stretches for several weeks.
in 3rd term your finish when you have your final exam, unless you uni have stuff for you to do, mine finished this year around the start of july, but the last exam was on the 5th of june , you still have PG working :p:
Reply 3
robinson999
in 3rd term your finish when you have your final exam, unless you uni have stuff for you to do, mine finished this year around the start of july, but the last exam was on the 5th of june , you still have PG working :p:

Sorry, what do you mean by PG working? :o:

I really wanted to finish at the beginning of June :frown: lol
Belle-x
Sorry, what do you mean by PG working? :o:

I really wanted to finish at the beginning of June :frown: lol

PG= postgraduate :p:

maybe you will, most finish around the start of june, you could have your last exam in the last week of may :p:
Reply 5
Most people have had their last exam by the 2nd week in June, which is when most people will finish up. The academic year runs to July because postgrads and some departments are still working. In reality you'll most likely finish the first week of june. If you check your uni website you should be able to see last years exam timetable and taht will give you an indication of when you'll finish up
Reply 6
The uni website is useless! We got given a letter today that said the term ends 16th July now! :| I hope we finish before then as I have plans to work abroad next summer and I really want do it :frown:

I think I'll just have to email them.

Latest

Trending

Trending