The Student Room Group

Summer Jobs Scotland

Hi there, Currently I'm about to turn 16 and I plan to stay in 5th year however I want to get a part time job to make some extra money but I don't think it will fit with my new timetable after summer so I was wondering are there any summer jobs in Scotland and how do you apply to them? How do they work?
Original post by randInt47
Hi there, Currently I'm about to turn 16 and I plan to stay in 5th year however I want to get a part time job to make some extra money but I don't think it will fit with my new timetable after summer so I was wondering are there any summer jobs in Scotland and how do you apply to them? How do they work?
Retailing are always looking for staff especially young school people and college and universities students for summer work.

Most of them will start there summer recruitment programme from about mid May onwards to start sometime June.

I'm sure you could manage doing weekends and concentrate on your school studies during the week.

Boots the chemist is flexible for weekends depending on your local branch opening hours 🙂
Then you'll have Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and any other retailer offering different types of times and days you can work.

When you are applying for any jobs read there job description and what it says about the days and hours you work, look for weekends working hours as they are available.

Apply for retailing job Via there own website, you'll have to do a on-line profile first and then search for any vacancies within your local area.

Don't give up on anything if you are rejected as just reapply for other portions.

There's always McDonald's and KFC if you want to work with them as they definitely take on lots of very young people especially 16 year olds.

I worked part-time during my school days especially weekends and holidays as never worked during the week. I started with boots the chemist at fifteen and a quarter but eventually I got a job with Tesco when I turned 16 and been with them since both full-time and currently part-time due to commitments to my full time permanent job with NHS Scotland. ( Went part-time during my degree when went to university).

I would perhaps apply for boots the chemist at the moment and see how you get on and when you turn 16 start looking at retailing okay.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Retailing are always looking for staff especially young school people and college and universities students for summer work.
Most of them will start there summer recruitment programme from about mid May onwards to start sometime June.
I'm sure you could manage doing weekends and concentrate on your school studies during the week.
Boots the chemist is flexible for weekends depending on your local branch opening hours 🙂
Then you'll have Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and any other retailer offering different types of times and days you can work.
When you are applying for any jobs read there job description and what it says about the days and hours you work, look for weekends working hours as they are available.
Apply for retailing job Via there own website, you'll have to do a on-line profile first and then search for any vacancies within your local area.
Don't give up on anything if you are rejected as just reapply for other portions.
There's always McDonald's and KFC if you want to work with them as they definitely take on lots of very young people especially 16 year olds.
I worked part-time during my school days especially weekends and holidays as never worked during the week. I started with boots the chemist at fifteen and a quarter but eventually I got a job with Tesco when I turned 16 and been with them since both full-time and currently part-time due to commitments to my full time permanent job with NHS Scotland. ( Went part-time during my degree when went to university).
I would perhaps apply for boots the chemist at the moment and see how you get on and when you turn 16 start looking at retailing okay.
oh ok thanks, So do these summer jobs only last until the holidays end or are they like full time, And can you quit whenever you want? Thanks.
Original post by randInt47
oh ok thanks, So do these summer jobs only last until the holidays end or are they like full time, And can you quit whenever you want? Thanks.
Hi
Most places offer new staff a minimum of 12 weeks temporary contract ( better known as probation period) and then they either offer you a extension, a permanent job or let you go.

You can work with them as long as you wish to but sometimes it is best to work out the temporary contract as it will give you a better opportunity to reapply again in the future.

Majority of school children/ college and universities people only take the job for the summer and then leave, some people will keep the job on and work part-time either after finishing school or college or university or just work a weekend, remember the decision is solely yours to make as if you feel like you wanting to continue working with whoever you get a job with once the new school term starts in August then do it ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending