The Student Room Group

Can interns take annual leave?

Any university student that has done a summer internship in the past know how it went down about annual leave? I have a holiday booked and I don’t want it to be awkward.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Any university student that has done a summer internship in the past know how it went down about annual leave? I have a holiday booked and I don’t want it to be awkward.

Hiya

This information will be present in your contract although it's not a very long holiday. My friend has recently got a 10-week internship and will only get 4 days of paid annual leave- you can choose to take 4 days altogether or at different times. This differs from one organisation to the other though, so definitely check your contract. If it's not in there, then contact HR or somebody from the recruitment team. You'll probably already have their contact if you've secured the internship.

-Himieka
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi Anon!

When I took a summer internship I only applied to opportunities with dates I knew I could do, I didn't have the option of annual leave as far as I know. However, the person running my internship made sure the dates worked for me, as I needed to be finished in time to start a job in September. One of my friends took a week off in the middle of his internship as he agreed it with the lecturer that was supervising him. It really depends on the role/place. 🙂

Edit: my internship was advertised internally through my university as an 8-week internship with a weekly stipend, and my friend spoke to a university lecturer who applied for a BSCB summer studentship (https://bscb.org/competitions-awardsgrants/studentships/) and completed his project in the university labs. External companies will probably have different systems in place.

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi Anon!

When I took a summer internship I only applied to opportunities with dates I knew I could do, I didn't have the option of annual leave as far as I know. However, the person running my internship made sure the dates worked for me, as I needed to be finished in time to start a job in September. One of my friends took a week off in the middle of his internship as he agreed it with the lecturer that was supervising him. It really depends on the role/place. 🙂

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Did you do unpaid internships?
Original post by PQ
Did you do unpaid internships?

Hi @PQ

I was given a stipend per week as the internship was funded by a student society. My friend applied for a BSCB summer studentship and I believe also received a weekly stipend. Both of our internships were very flexible and we didn't really have set hours, I could've probably taken time off if I'd asked, it was at the discretion of us and our supervisors. 🙂

I would assume it would probably be very varied if you went to do an internship other places, I probably should've added in my original post that both internships were either advertised internally through my university or arranged with a university lecturer - apologies, that was definitely an oversight on my part!

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador).
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending