The Student Room Group

Religious Studies book suggestions?

I am going to apply for Religious Studies in Edinburgh, Glasgow and either Durham or Aberdeen.

Does anyone, regardless probably of which Uni you're at, have any good reccommendations of books to read?

I've read a few about Hinduism and one about John's Gospel but I'd really rahter read something a bit more general, but more than just simplistic descritpion. Something which perhaps explores themes, developments and connections between all or certain religions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I've read (and own my own copies of) the following books for my theology course at Nottingham which I think might be suitable:

Alister McGrath, Christian Theology: An Introduction (Oxford: Blackwell, 2007)

John W. Drane, Introducing the Old Testament (London: Lion, 2000)

John Rogerson, Beginning Old Testament Study (London: SPCK, 1998)

Darrell L. Bock, Studying the Historical Jesus (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker, 2002)

Craig L. Blomberg, From Pentecost to Patmos (Nottingham: Apollos, 2006)

Anthony C. Thiselton, The Living Paul: An Introduction to the Apostle's Life and Thought (London: SPCK, 2009)

Henry Chadwick, The Early Church (London: Penguin, 1967, 1993)

Karl Barth, God Here and Now (Abingdon: Routledge, 1967, 2003)

George W.E. Nickelsburg and Michael E. Stone, Faith and Piety in Early Judaism (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1983)

Andrew Rippin, Muslims: Their religious beliefs and practices (Abingdon: Routledge, 2005)

Alister McGrath, The Twilight of Atheism (London: Random House, 2005)

James W. Sire, The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog (Downers' Grove, Ill.: IVP, 1976, 2004)

C. Stephen Evans, Philosophy of Religion (Leicester: IVP, 1982)

Latest

Trending

Trending