No, as in ln x
spoken verbally as 'log x'
Reply 4
moonaldo99
No, as in ln x
spoken verbally as 'log x'

ln(ex)lnxln(ex) \not= lnx
Reply 5
sorry, I meant y=ln ex, or am I still not being clear enough?
Reply 6
then it's just 1/x if you are differentiating lnx?
Reply 7
moonaldo99

Do you mean logexlog_e x or ln(ex)ln(ex).
If its the former then the derivative of lnxlnx is 1x\dfrac{1}{x} and for a general function f(x)f(x) is f(x)f(x)\dfrac{f'(x)}{f(x)}
Reply 8
to find the equation of the tangent, you need to know the gradient at that point. So you need to differentiate ln(x) and sub in your x value to find the gradient. can you go from there?
Reply 9
moonaldo99

or if you mean ln (e^x) then it's just y=x...
Reply 10
Yes but there is also the added problem of finding the tangent to that line when x=1
Reply 11
Danielllll
to find the equation of the tangent, you need to know the gradient at that point. So you need to differentiate ln(x) and sub in your x value to find the gradient. can you go from there?

Ok cheers I'll see how that goes.
Reply 12
moonaldo99
Yes but there is also the added problem of finding the tangent to that line when x=1

Given a function f(x)f(x) the tangent to that line at x=ax=a is y=mx+cy=mx+c where m=f(a)m=f'(a).

So find the derivative f(x)f'(x) and its value at x=ax=a then substitute this into y=mx+cy=mx+c then use the point (a,f(a))(a, f'(a)) to substitute into y=mx+cy=mx+c to achieve the equation of your tangent.
Reply 13
Sorry I have just realised how stupid I have been, sorry for wasting your time but thanks for the help anyway :s

Latest