The Student Room Group

Should I even consider applying for Oxford?

Currently year 12, studying biology, history, ancient history and core maths (worth 1/2 an a level). GCSE results (988876666, and M2 in business). I'd really love to study ancient history at Oxford or Durham but I'm concerned about my GCSE grades being too low. Currently working at A in ancient history, A in history, B in biology and B in core maths, and hope to bring the grades up to A*AAA. I don't know if it's even worth considering such selective universities as my GCSE grades wouldn't be as strong compared to everyone elses.
i would apply if i were you
Reply 2
Original post by izzie1937
Currently year 12, studying biology, history, ancient history and core maths (worth 1/2 an a level). GCSE results (988876666, and M2 in business). I'd really love to study ancient history at Oxford or Durham but I'm concerned about my GCSE grades being too low. Currently working at A in ancient history, A in history, B in biology and B in core maths, and hope to bring the grades up to A*AAA. I don't know if it's even worth considering such selective universities as my GCSE grades wouldn't be as strong compared to everyone elses.

I think it’s worth a shot. I just got rejected from Oxford, and I’ve found they care way more about the interview than my grades, though they did say they were impressed by my written work. Overall, you have five choices, and even if Oxford doesn’t accept you, you’ll still most likely study at a great uni with those grades. Oxford also doesn’t really differentiate between an A and A*, and they count the number of 8s and 9s (4 minimum, which you have.)
Cambridge cares less about GCSE grades (something to think about.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending