The Student Room Group
The six Red Bricks are:
The Wills Memorial building at Bristol University, Neo Gothic rather than Victorian red brick, was completed in 1925

* The University of Birmingham - royal charter granted in 1900.
* The University of Liverpool - royal charter granted in 1903.
* The University of Leeds - royal charter granted in 1904.
* The University of Sheffield - royal charter granted in 1905.
* The University of Bristol - royal charter granted in 1909.
* The University of Manchester - formed in 2004 with the merger of Victoria University (1880) and UMIST (1956

Various other civic institutions with origins dating from the 19th and early 20th centuries have been described as Red Brick:

* University of Dundee (originally a constituent college of the University of St Andrews)
* University of Exeter (originally an extension college of the University of London)
* University of Hull
* University of Leicester
* Newcastle University (originally two extension colleges of the University of Durham)
* University of Nottingham
* University of Southampton
Well I had already read all that, but thank you anyway.

Am I being really thick or does it just mean the style of the university buildings?? Why would that matter?
Reply 4
I think there is basically an implicit level of quality of university they are asking for here - it's obviously not about the architectural style. 'Red Brick' is often used to just mean a good university, so KCL would be fine I'm sure
Reply 5
Sugar_Puff_Fairy
Well I had already read all that, but thank you anyway.

Am I being really thick or does it just mean the style of the university buildings?? Why would that matter?

What? No.

Red Brick (or "redbrick") is an informal term used to refer to six particular British universities founded in the major industrial cities of England[
Reply 6
EierVonSatan
I would hope so, I've seen Russell group university stated too but I suspect they'd accept somewhere like Durham.

They probably assume that anyone with sufficient intelligence to do the job realises they're just trying to filter out the swathes of pointless grads.
Reply 7
Wow, Hull?

I'm off Hull and I thought it was regarded as quite a bad Uni, not bad!
Reply 8
zKlown
Wow, Hull?

I'm off Hull and I thought it was regarded as quite a bad Uni, not bad!

Hull isn't an official redbrick, nor is it part of the Russell Group.
You see this quite a bit with either a reference to red brick or Russell Group universities - those two groups are actually different in terms of composition but what recruiters are really saying is that they want people from univerisities that weren't formerly polytechnics.

You have no worries with KCL.
Reply 10
Planto

Meh, I don't care, I had the chance to go to an "official" Red Brick anyway but wanted to stay closer to family.

I joining police when I leave Uni anyway hopefully (which doesn't require any quals) and if not I'll just do my masters in London or summet!
Reply 11
Planto

Neither's Durham, York, St Andrews, Exeter....not one of those belongs to the Russell Group or is a redbrick. St Andrews is ancient, Durham's pre-Victorian, York's plate glass. It doesn't make them poor universities.

Hull's a rather good university (excellent in both of my subjects). People (read TSR and maybe your average ignorant Joe Public) have a poor view of it because of a certain Blackadder joke and that it's an unfashionable city.

As others have said, redbrick is often used these days to refer to any "good" traditional university (often pre-1992s or at least pre-20th century). But its official name is those universities establised in the Victorian era (Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and, by in a way, Newcastle). Newcastle is redbrick in architectural style and established at the same time as the redbricks (although not as an independent university) and heavily focused on medicine and the sciences (especially applied sciences). Although still part of a pre-Victorian and non-secular university.

But I doubt that they won't accept graduates from non-redbricks like Oxford, Cambridge, the Scottish Ancients, Durham or Warwick. Or that those employers who ask for Russell Group grads won't accept Durham, St Andrews or York grads - or a fair share of of 94 Group).
Reply 12
River85
Neither's Durham, York, St Andrews, Exeter....not one of those belongs to the Russell Group or is a redbrick. St Andrews is ancient, Durham's pre-Victorian, York's plate glass. It doesn't make them poor universities.

Hull's a rather good university (excellent in both of my subjects). People (read TSR and maybe your average ignorant Joe Public) have a poor view of it because of a certain Blackadder joke and that it's an unfashionable city.

As others have said, redbrick is often used these days to refer to any "good" traditional university (often pre-1992s or at least pre-20th century). But its official name is those universities establised in the Victorian era (Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and, by in a way, Newcastle). Newcastle is redbrick in architectural style and established at the same time as the redbricks (although not as an independent university) and heavily focused on medicine and the sciences (especially applied sciences). Although still part of a pre-Victorian and non-secular university.

But I doubt that they won't accept graduates from non-redbricks like Oxford, Cambridge, the Scottish Ancients, Durham or Warwick. Or that those employers who ask for Russell Group grads won't accept Durham, St Andrews or York grads - or a fair share of of 94 Group).

LOL, gotta love Blackadder though!

It's actually quite a nice city, although I wouldn't walk home by yourself on a Saturday night!
zKlown
LOL, gotta love Blackadder though!

It's actually quite a nice city, although I wouldn't walk home by yourself on a Saturday night!

I walk home by myself all the time and im black, wouldnt that make me a bigger target ?
Reply 14
Mr*Skateboard*P
I walk home by myself all the time and im black, wouldnt that make me a bigger target ?

Dunno, could work either way, you could be racially assaulted I guess, but so could a white guy?
zKlown
Dunno, could work either way, you could be racially assaulted I guess, but so could a white guy?

Yeah i know but people normally think that the more you go up north the more racism, thats what i thought but i havnt even experienced any racism. People in hull are more friendly than people in london.
Reply 16
Mr*Skateboard*P
Yeah i know but people normally think that the more you go up north the more racism, thats what i thought but i havnt even experienced any racism. People in hull are more friendly than people in london.

Yeah, there is alot more racism in the North, although it's generally just "casual racism".

I have alot of friends of different ethnicity and we're always sharing "racial banter" if you can call it that! LOL, but ya know, I've never known anyone get racially assualted!
Mr*Skateboard*P

I think that's just rumours. I've just moved to Yorkshire and was told there's a lot of racism in my particular village but all everyone does is smile at each other whatever their race.

Latest

Trending

Trending