The Student Room Group

Reapply for Law?

Just received my A-Level results yesterday and I did better than I expected, I got A* A* A* A and after receiving 3 law rejections this year from UCL, LSE and KCL this really boosted my spirits and gave me a bit of hope.

After I was rejected I ultimately made the decision to take a gap year and reapply to the same universities but for a different course I am interested in- Politics and International Relations. The university I go to is really important to me so I would really like to go to a prestigious London university whatever it takes.

However, after receiving my A-Level results yesterday and having low hope and optimism for the whole of the year I realised I am very much academically capable and was thinking whether it is worth reapplying for Law.

I received a 27 in my LNAT so I also know I am capable at this, I think if I was to reapply I would just need to brush up on my personal statement and work on more on my LNAT essay. However, I also know that reapplying comes at very high risk if I am rejected again as it means I would have to take a second gap year which is something I do not want to do at all.

If I was to do Pol & IR I could do the law conversion course if I am still interested in Law at the end of my degree however I am worried about my options after university if I choose not to do the conversion. And if I was to do Law and decide I don't want to continue with law at the end of my degree I know that having an LLB degree will open up a lot of doors that aren't law. Will I have this if I was to do Pol & IR? Of course at either UCL, KCL or LSE.

Also is there a chance I could apply for both, there similar in some sense, if I was to focus on law with my personal statement as that’s the more demanding degree but also apply for two Pol & IR courses just as a backup with a small chance I could get accepted onto that if law falls through. How likely is that?

I really don't know if it's worth the risk and whether i’ll have higher or lower chances as a gap year student, if anyone has any experience with reapplying for law please let me know or any advice about my situation would be really helpful! Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
No experience of gap years in the process etc etc but i can't see it holding you back although it is a waste of a year.

BUT, seriously, follow your dreams. You are clearly a capable student and with those A level results should be able to get into practically any top University to study law but it doesn't have to be UCL or LSE, you secure a law degree from even a top red brick like University of Bristol you wont go far wrong..
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/law
Reply 2
Original post by LsDad
No experience of gap years in the process etc etc but i can't see it holding you back although it is a waste of a year.

BUT, seriously, follow your dreams. You are clearly a capable student and with those A level results should be able to get into practically any top University to study law but it doesn't have to be UCL or LSE, you secure a law degree from even a top red brick like University of Bristol you wont go far wrong..
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/law

You’re definitely right about other red brick universities but I have my heart set on going to London, but thank you. I honestly don’t know what my heart is telling ne right now I just see it as a massive risk.
I’m reading this as you have an offer from a top London uni for politics course? Is that correct?

If that is so then just go there for politics 1000%. Another gap year is crazy icl and you will not regret going to uni for politics.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by LawStudent456
I’m reading this as you have an offer from a top London uni for politics course? Is that correct?

If that is so then just go there for politics 1000%. Another gap year is crazy icl and you will not regret going to uni for politics.

Sorry I must’ve gave the wrong impression, I applied for law this year didn’t get in, I would need to take a gap year to reapply next year for either politics or law.
Original post by lunaisokay
Sorry I must’ve gave the wrong impression, I applied for law this year didn’t get in, I would need to take a gap year to reapply next year for either politics or law.

Apply for law. You will get in somewhere. Apply for some non-LNAT unis like Manchester/Leeds alongside the London ones.
Reply 6
Original post by LawStudent456
Apply for law. You will get in somewhere. Apply for some non-LNAT unis like Manchester/Leeds alongside the London ones.

The thing is though i’m very stubborn and I’m adamant on going to the top londons universities, obviously there’s a chance with both courses I wont get in but I know politics would have a higher chance as it would be less competitive.

I got into Queen Mary and SOAS this year for law but this wasn’t my dream and I wasn’t so thrilled to go hence why I decided to take a gap year to rethink things over.
Original post by lunaisokay
The thing is though i’m very stubborn and I’m adamant on going to the top londons universities, obviously there’s a chance with both courses I wont get in but I know politics would have a higher chance as it would be less competitive.

I got into Queen Mary and SOAS this year for law but this wasn’t my dream and I wasn’t so thrilled to go hence why I decided to take a gap year to rethink things over.

You will probably get an offer for London uni for law anyway. More likely with actual achieve grades. But you will be guaranteed an offer for politics at London. It’s your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending