The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Electronic Engineering Reputation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cyborg
Agreed. It really gave the sense of a close-knit community - not too small, but no so large that you don't even know half the people.

Yeah. He actually mentioned they were very close-knit in his presentation.

Have you got an offer from Imperial yet?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
FranticMind
Yeah. He actually mentioned they were very close-knit in his presentation.

Have you got an offer from Imperial yet?

Yes - I got it a few weeks ago (A*AA).
Reply 22
cyborg
Yes - I got it a few weeks ago (A*AA).

I take it thats the offer from the prospectus? A* in maths, A in physics and A anything else? Thats a slightly harder offer than the UCL one lol.
Reply 23
FranticMind
I take it thats the offer from the prospectus? A* in maths, A in physics and A anything else? Thats a slightly harder offer than the UCL one lol.

Yeah - A* Maths, A Physics and A in anything else.
Engineering is quite close-knit and wonderfully crazy (they've got the engineering cafe which I <3 so much, apart from the expensive coffee)
Reply 25
marshmallows
Engineering is quite close-knit and wonderfully crazy (they've got the engineering cafe which I <3 so much, apart from the expensive coffee)

Cool. I see from your profile you do MSci in Theoretical Physics. Do the physics people go there much? (not that I have anything against physicists :wink: )
FranticMind
Cool. I see from your profile you do MSci in Theoretical Physics. Do the physics people go there much? (not that I have anything against physicists :wink: )

To the engineering building? Yes, quite a bit actually. Gotta love the Ethernet ports, plugs and floor fans built into the lecture theatres in the Roberts building. A building so full of win.
Reply 27
marshmallows
To the engineering building? Yes, quite a bit actually. Gotta love the Ethernet ports, plugs and floor fans built into the lecture theatres in the Roberts building. A building so full of win.

Lol I am hoping to join next year...
Reply 28
Just thought I would update this thread for anyone who cares. UCL EE is a great course, you can make an impact in that subject or just get great contacts - so much scope if you love the field. The academics have so much time for you.

UCL itself is a fantastic place to be, would recommend it to anyone. Our EE department is ranked no 4 in the UK, definitely the strongest engineering department in UCL with good links to the equally strong CS department. I would go as far to say it ranks up there with UCL's top departments.

Engineering is a hard course, but only recently have I realised the great rewards from such a challenge. The low entry requirements are nice, but be warned they are not representative of the work required!

Just finished the second year, almost three years since I posted this thread. Loving every minute and I have changed tremendously.

Hope this helps someone out! Feel free to PM me on UCL EE or general UCL matters/questions!
Reply 29
Original post by FranticMind
Just thought I would update this thread for anyone who cares. UCL EE is a great course, you can make an impact in that subject or just get great contacts - so much scope if you love the field. The academics have so much time for you.

UCL itself is a fantastic place to be, would recommend it to anyone. Our EE department is ranked no 4 in the UK, definitely the strongest engineering department in UCL with good links to the equally strong CS department. I would go as far to say it ranks up there with UCL's top departments.

Engineering is a hard course, but only recently have I realised the great rewards from such a challenge. The low entry requirements are nice, but be warned they are not representative of the work required!

Just finished the second year, almost three years since I posted this thread. Loving every minute and I have changed tremendously.

Hope this helps someone out! Feel free to PM me on UCL EE or general UCL matters/questions!

Hey would you have an idea about the Mechanical Engineering department at UCL (facilities, lecture theaters, lectures, lab) I've been hearing some bad things about it on student room :/
Reply 30
Original post by shayanc
Hey would you have an idea about the Mechanical Engineering department at UCL (facilities, lecture theaters, lectures, lab) I've been hearing some bad things about it on student room :/

Yeah I know a fair amount! A very good friend of mine is a MechEng - the thing about UCL is the lecture rooms are hit and miss, but I would really not take this into account.

The labs are decent, not brilliant, but recently a new makespace has been created http://www.instituteofmaking.org.uk/makespace which is set to change all of that!

The lectures as with all universities and courses are mixed, some of them are fantastic (attended a couple myself) and some are difficult to understand.

I am not sure why TSR has such animosity towards UCL MechEng but it is still a great course to study and the opportunities created for your future are compounded by UCL's elite status.

In summary, there are better equipped labs and maybe a more even spread of resource at other universities, but UCL's prestige and the rough diamonds in the department more than make up for it.

Hope that helped!!
Reply 31
Yeah I know a fair amount! A very good friend of mine is a MechEng - the thing about UCL is the lecture rooms are hit and miss, but I would really not take this into account.

The labs are decent, not brilliant, but recently a new makespace has been created http://www.instituteofmaking.org.uk/makespace which is set to change all of that!

The lectures as with all universities and courses are mixed, some of them are fantastic (attended a couple myself) and some are difficult to understand.

I am not sure why TSR has such animosity towards UCL MechEng but it is still a great course to study and the opportunities created for your future are compounded by UCL's elite status.

In summary, there are better equipped labs and maybe a more even spread of resource at other universities, but UCL's prestige and the rough diamonds in the department more than make up for it.

Hope that helped!!

Thanks that helped a lot. I need to decide soon which one to firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

Hope that helped!!

Hey thanks for the info but in your opinion would going UCL for mech eng affect my course quality and my results. Do the students receive enough help and are the lectures good at explanations and motivated etc. I'm confused between Southampton and UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by shayanc
Hey thanks for the info but in your opinion would going UCL for mech eng affect my course quality and my results. Do the students receive enough help and are the lectures good at explanations and motivated etc. I'm confused between Southampton and UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Motivation is on a student basis to be honest. The calibre of the students between Southampton and UCL are comparable.

It depends on the industry you want to go into. UCL will open more doors than you could imagine and probably have thought of; but Southampton is probably better for specific employers.

Again personal preference will be the most important here. You don't just have to study, you have to live there. If you don't like cities then UCL is probably not for you, but if you love London then you will have great opportunities.
Reply 34
Motivation is on a student basis to be honest. The calibre of the students between Southampton and UCL are comparable.

It depends on the industry you want to go into. UCL will open more doors than you could imagine and probably have thought of; but Southampton is probably better for specific employers.

Again personal preference will be the most important here. You don't just have to study, you have to live there. If you don't like cities then UCL is probably not for you, but if you love London then you will have great opportunities.

I loved UCLs campus and I love London and everything about it! It's close to my house and I prefer it's location to Southampton which's quite far away. It's just I want to get the best grade possible at uni but I'm worried due to UCLs mech eng reputation all over the Internet, surely it can't be that bad. When u said Southampton would help me get in certain industries did u mean by certain engineering companies? Btw did you have all your lectures in one room?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I've heard that the entire of MechEng has to share only 1 lab and a limited number of software licenses, I'm not sure if this is still the case. But regardless, UCL is a great uni and if you're a Londoner you definitely should come here :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by shayanc

When u said Southampton would help me get in certain industries did u mean by certain engineering companies?

Btw did you have all your lectures in one room?

Well certain universities have partnerships, UCL has CISCO for EE, not sure about ME but for finance it is widely regarded.

No my lectures were all around the bloomsbury campus. You never have all your lectures in one place, no matter what course or uni you are at.

Look you seem to be worried about this choice. Pick UCL if you like it, pick South if you don't.
Reply 37
Well certain universities have partnerships, UCL has CISCO for EE, not sure about ME but for finance it is widely regarded.

No my lectures were all around the bloomsbury campus. You never have all your lectures in one place, no matter what course or uni you are at.

Look you seem to be worried about this choice. Pick UCL if you like it, pick South if you don't.

Sorry mate if I've come round a bit paranoid and annoying, it's just that this is a huge decision and I want to get it right then again I would never know if I've made the right decision or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by shayanc
Sorry mate if I've come round a bit paranoid and annoying, it's just that this is a huge decision and I want to get it right then again I would never know if I've made the right decision or not.

Honestly? Firm UCL. You're in London, it'll save you alot of money in the future. Both places are great, both have very good job prospects. Southampton *probably* does have a better Mech Eng department, but that's like saying Cambridge is better than Oxford and in the end it doesn't matter as long as you get that 2:1 and internships.
Reply 39

By any chance would you know about the chemical engineering dept at ucl?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending