The Student Room Group

Is this the average hours in lectures/seminars?

Hi

Just been to a pre freshers event at my uni and found out that the course consists of six hours of lectures and six hours of seminars per week. Is this the norm/average? Its a Buisness Management Course btw. I always thought the definition of full time was over 15/16hrs per week!

Thanks in advance for replies :o:
mine varies between 8 and 13 hours a week, hope this helps :smile:

(i'm doing economics and politics btw).
Reply 2
Yeah, it is. I had 12 hours total in my first year, 11 in my second years, and 8 in my final year.

Some people doing things like chemistry or engineering have more (20-30) while others doing things like history have less (even below 5).

It's a bit silly really; you're paying £3k+ for **** all.
Reply 3
A Manc In Brighton
mine varies between 8 and 13 hours a week, hope this helps :smile:

(i'm doing economics and politics btw).

Yes it does, thankyou. I just was worried I was getting short changed hehe. :smile:
Reply 4
Well in my first year, I had about 6 hours a week, including lectures and tutorials so count yourself lucky!
Reply 5
Yup, that's pretty normal. Often it's more lectures and fewer seminars, so if anything you're pretty lucky having an even split.
Reply 6
Im doing Politics at Queen Mary. Starting second year - and it's 1 hour for each module lecture and 1 hour for each module seminar per week. We take four modules a year so 8 hrs per week. It was same in first year.. I'd prefer a bit more time in classes tbh
Reply 7
My first year I had something like 24hours per week, 2nd year was the same and now 3rd year is 9hours a week. Its going to be really weird this year.
Reply 8
i get 3 seminars max per week. bout 8 lectures all last 50 mins
Yeah, that's normal. People in my flat have around that many. I have around 24 a week :biggrin:
Reply 10
Skyslayer
Hi

Just been to a pre freshers event at my uni and found out that the course consists of six hours of lectures and six hours of seminars per week. Is this the norm/average? Its a Buisness Management Course btw. I always thought the definition of full time was over 15/16hrs per week!

Thanks in advance for replies :o:

U are a lucky*******mine is like 25 hours overall(& im not even doing medicine/pharmacy), im really unhappy about:t mad: this Iwl be there 4 like 9-5 on most day, & i have to commute for 3 hours, also have really attention problems & have like & have to sit 5 hours in one lecture:eek: ( , I alrealdy dont like 9/10 course modules........................ other than that my life is just great:mad:
Reply 11
Painkiller
U are a lucky*******mine is like 25 hours overall(& im not even doing medicine/pharmacy), im really unhappy about:t mad: this Iwl be there 4 like 9-5 on most day, & i have to commute for 3 hours, also have really attention problems & have like & have to sit 5 hours in one lecture:eek: ( , I alrealdy dont like 9/10 course modules........................ other than that my life is just great:mad:

Thanks all for the replies, I suppose unlike Science courses ect, there are no practical or lab time requirements.

Sorry to hear your Problems Painkiller :frown:

Maybe you should be looking at a different course if 90% of it is not to your liking, theres only really one module that im not looking forward to the rest seems ok for me :wink:
Reply 12
They don't call it 'reading for a degree' for nothing! If you want to manage your own time, follow your own path, show self reliance its fine; if you don't, well why are you doing a business and management degree?
Reply 13
Aliengirl
They don't call it 'reading for a degree' for nothing! If you want to manage your own time, follow your own path, show self reliance its fine; if you don't, well why are you doing a business and management degree?

and I hope you feel a lot better for getting that off your chest. Geeze.

And if you must know the fine details of how the question arose is because I hold a Certificate in Education franchised from a Uni through the FE college I was employed at as a Lecturer. And the Full time courses I Managed and Taught on were required to have at least 15/16 hrs per week to draw down full time funding for students.

Not one time did I mention not being able to manage my time, read around the subject or not being self reliant.

Some people on these forums are real Asses.
Reply 14
You did say that you consider 15-16 hours teaching time to be full time, which suggests a different emphasis between taught and self guided study than is usual in universities.

Thank you so much for your personal criticism, I shall meditate upon it and become a better person in time. But if you're a big bad lecturer why do you need to come on tsr to find out this info? Oh of course you lecture in fe, and therefore need someone to tell you.

Latest

Trending

Trending