The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Uni of kent

can a student in uni of kent explain how it’s like studying there? how many times a week do u go to a lecture and how long usually does it last? what is the workload like?
Original post by Anonymous
can a student in uni of kent explain how it’s like studying there? how many times a week do u go to a lecture and how long usually does it last? what is the workload like?

Hey!

I did both my undergrad and masters at Kent (Psychology) so hopefully can give you some insight! This will really depend on your course to be honest, but this is a general overview:
- For every module, you will generally have both a lecture and a seminar/workshop once a week
- Lectures and seminars are normally an hour each, but sometimes you might have a 2 hour lecture or 2 hour seminar, depending on the module
- So depending how many modules you have in each term (normally around 5 or 6 I think?), this means you'll generally have to go in for 5 lectures and 5 seminars
- This means you most likely won't be in every day of every week, because sometimes you'll have multiple modules in one day

For me, I've found most years I've ended up being at uni 3 or 4 days of the week, generally with something in the morning and afternoon.

In terms of workload, I can only speak for Psychology, but you generally have some form of coursework due at the end of each term (so in December and April) and normally have exams in January and May/June. I personally found the workload pretty managable as long as you keep on top of everything, as you normally have 4 weeks to complete an assessment, so even if you have multiple on the go at once you mostly have plenty of time. Sometimes seminars will help with assignments as well or give you time to work on them. :smile:

Hope this answers your question and if there's anything more I can help with, let me know!

Natalie
- University of Kent Student Rep
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

I did both my undergrad and masters at Kent (Psychology) so hopefully can give you some insight! This will really depend on your course to be honest, but this is a general overview:
- For every module, you will generally have both a lecture and a seminar/workshop once a week
- Lectures and seminars are normally an hour each, but sometimes you might have a 2 hour lecture or 2 hour seminar, depending on the module
- So depending how many modules you have in each term (normally around 5 or 6 I think?), this means you'll generally have to go in for 5 lectures and 5 seminars
- This means you most likely won't be in every day of every week, because sometimes you'll have multiple modules in one day

For me, I've found most years I've ended up being at uni 3 or 4 days of the week, generally with something in the morning and afternoon.

In terms of workload, I can only speak for Psychology, but you generally have some form of coursework due at the end of each term (so in December and April) and normally have exams in January and May/June. I personally found the workload pretty managable as long as you keep on top of everything, as you normally have 4 weeks to complete an assessment, so even if you have multiple on the go at once you mostly have plenty of time. Sometimes seminars will help with assignments as well or give you time to work on them. :smile:

Hope this answers your question and if there's anything more I can help with, let me know!

Natalie
- University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you so much for responding! Would you perhaps know what the lectures and seminars look for law? Would you have to go in everyday?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for responding! Would you perhaps know what the lectures and seminars look for law? Would you have to go in everyday?

Hi there,
I have finished my second year of law LLB at the University of Kent, hope I can provide some insight about the course to you. :smile:

Typically law students will study 4 modules each term (Autumn & Spring). For each module, students are expected to attend 1 seminar per week, and depending on the module 1 or 2 lectures per week. Each session typically last 1 hour, though some may be 2 hours. Whether you have to come onto campus really depends on your timetable. In one term, I found that I had 2 days free each week, in another, I would have all 5 days scheduled with a seminar or lecture.

I do not think the timetables have been released yet, but once they are, you will be able to access them on Kent Vision.

For the past two years, lectures have been recorded online, so you can access them easily afterwards (in case there are delays in commuting). However, I am not sure if this will be the case for 2023-2024. Seminar on the other hand are not recorded, so always try to arrive to these on time.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any further queries, please feel free to let me know.
All the best :smile:

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending