The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zazuwaved
dont worry i am kinda in the same predicament as you...hve u already applied or not? InshAllah khayr with ur application sis :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope. sending it off this week. Dont know whats happening about my reference! I'm pretty much done apart from that, really happy with my PS. and everything else is out of my control now. Just want it sent off so I can put my head down for January exams.

where are You applying? In all honesty, I'm sure if I push it more, I could get an AAA prediction-will have to see :/
Original post by 3raindrops
nope. sending it off this week. Dont know whats happening about my reference! I'm pretty much done apart from that, really happy with my PS. and everything else is out of my control now. Just want it sent off so I can put my head down for January exams.

where are You applying? In all honesty, I'm sure if I push it more, I could get an AAA prediction-will have to see :/

by all means make sure you do push them for the A my school was really unfair with mine

Liverpool Keele Hull and Leicester (because my mummy really wants me to :ahee:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3983
Heya, just looking for a little bit of advice with my fourth choice.

Queen's Belfast
Leeds
Birmingham
Sheffield

GCSE'S: 9A* 1A
AS: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 645

Originally I was happy with my choices but I am starting to have second thoughts about Sheffield since it is incredibly competitive. Would it be better to take out Sheffield and replace it with Dundee/Aberdeen? I know ultimately that I have to make this decision myself but I would just like a little advice. :smile:
Reply 3984
Original post by Mosh
Heya, just looking for a little bit of advice with my fourth choice.

Queen's Belfast
Leeds
Birmingham
Sheffield

GCSE'S: 9A* 1A
AS: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 645

Originally I was happy with my choices but I am starting to have second thoughts about Sheffield since it is incredibly competitive. Would it be better to take out Sheffield and replace it with Dundee/Aberdeen? I know ultimately that I have to make this decision myself but I would just like a little advice. :smile:

Sheffield isn't the one which is "incredibly competitive". Leeds is. If there was any university needing a replacement it would be that.
Original post by Zazuwaved
by all means make sure you do push them for the A my school was really unfair with mine

Liverpool Keele Hull and Leicester (because my mummy really wants me to :ahee:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

keele? hmmm maybe we'll graduate together lol inshAllah if we both get in.

I was thinking of Leicester (if I get the predictions) but I only score 55/60 which was last years cut off and I have a feeling it will increase this year. So don't want to risk it.

Hope it all goes well!! :biggrin:
Reply 3986
Can anyone give me a list of schools which are UKCAT heavy please?
Would really appreciate it (:
Original post by anilda
Can anyone give me a list of schools which are UKCAT heavy please?
Would really appreciate it (:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths :smile:
Hi

I'm in my gap year working in a hospital plus quite a bit of shadowing and volunteering experience

A2 achieved - AAAb [Chem, Biology, History, Maths]
GCSE - 7A*, 3 A

UKCAT - average 675 [2700]. Got 625 last year

I did lot of research into my choices and picked the following:

Imperial, St. Georges, Manchester & Southampton

Can anyone advise if these are good choices considering my academics, ukcat, etc. as I may change these if I get my welcome letter in time

Thanks
Original post by leadership
Hi

I'm in my gap year working in a hospital plus quite a bit of shadowing and volunteering experience

A2 achieved - AAAb [Chem, Biology, History, Maths]
GCSE - 7A*, 3 A

UKCAT - average 675 [2700]. Got 625 last year

I did lot of research into my choices and picked the following:

Imperial, St. Georges, Manchester & Southampton

Can anyone advise if these are good choices considering my academics, ukcat, etc. as I may change these if I get my welcome letter in time

Thanks

I'm in a very similar position as you. (ie similar academics, ukcat, doing experience and one year out of sync)

I'm still unsure about where else to put too. I'm considering Nottingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Keele, Cardiff and Hull York still.
(really need to make up my mind soon though! next monday :eek: )

I think your options sound good.

I think our grades are fine and not going to be a hinderance (though not particularly advantageous) and its going to be a lot down to personal statement, interview and luck.

Its practically impossible to predict which places will be most competitive this year. And as for which medical school is best, personally I don't think its THAT important what learning style it is, because if I'm lucky enough to get in somewhere I'll just learn whatever it is.

Location is probably quite an important factor though- depends on you though.

Since you've done a gap year it might be good for you to explain all the experience you did during this time. Therfore maybe avoid the medical schools that do not interview.
Manchester and St George's should be fine. Soton is obviously always a risk because they're PS heavy. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3991
AS Level: 4 A's all very high UMS

UKCAT: 762.5
VR: 660
QR: 770
AR: 860
DA: 760

GCSES: 6A*s 6A's
Predicted: 3A*'s

I've chosen Newcastle, Leicester and Leeds so far however i'm unsure about Kings or Nottingham as my last choice?
Out of these two can anyone tell me which one I'm more likely to get into?

Thanks!
Original post by Nugget2
AS Level: 4 A's all very high UMS

UKCAT: 762.5
VR: 660
QR: 770
AR: 860
DA: 760

GCSES: 6A*s 6A's
Predicted: 3A*'s

I've chosen Newcastle, Leicester and Leeds so far however i'm unsure about Kings or Nottingham as my last choice?
Out of these two can anyone tell me which one I'm more likely to get into?

Thanks!

Kings would be a good choice. :smile:
Reply 3993
Hey all,

Just a quick query, Obviously you can only apply to 4 choices in medicine. For my fifth choice, I'm thinking of a biochemistry or biology course. Will the fact that my PS is geared towards medicine disadvantage me? Cheers.
Original post by raftab
Hey all,

Just a quick query, Obviously you can only apply to 4 choices in medicine. For my fifth choice, I'm thinking of a biochemistry or biology course. Will the fact that my PS is geared towards medicine disadvantage me? Cheers.

Depends where you apply. If you are applying to a top univeristy for biology, chances are you won't get an offer, simply because there are more than enough applicants who want to actually do that course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3995
Hello everyone! I have american qualifications (please help?)

AP Bio (5), AP Chem (5), AP Spanish (5), AP Psychology (4:eyeball:)
GPA: 3.73 (95.19%)
SAT 1: 2100

UKCAT 715

Is there a university I should completely avoid? What are your recommendations? I'd like to apply to Kings/Barts/St Georges, Liverpool (is this a good move since I didn't do so badly in the UKCAT?), Aberdeen and Leeds.
Original post by 3raindrops
keele? hmmm maybe we'll graduate together lol inshAllah if we both get in.

I was thinking of Leicester (if I get the predictions) but I only score 55/60 which was last years cut off and I have a feeling it will increase this year. So don't want to risk it.

Hope it all goes well!! :biggrin:

inshAllah :biggrin:

I actually live in Birmingham so its not too bad about 50 mins to keele and same amount of time for leicester, so i am not too bothered! With leicester i dont have their predictions (A*A*B are mine) but scored 57 on their scaling thing so my mum said i should give them a go.
Thanks Hippokrates

May substitute Southampton for somewhere else before the deadline. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate as an alternative.
Le situation:

Which universities scrutinise GCSEs mega? I have 8A*s and 3As - where will this put me at a disadvantage when applying?
Those are nice choices. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending