The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
665 is a risky score for Newcastle and Leeds.
J DOT A
665 is a risky score for Newcastle and Leeds.

What do you mean by risky?
Reply 1182
zebra12345

Don't get me wrong, 665 is a really good score but Leeds and Newcastle's cut off last year was in the 650's region if I am not mistaken, and they might raise it higher this year so...
zebra12345

Risky as in you probably won't meet the UKCAT cut-off score, as Newcastle and Leeds are apparently increasing their cut-offs. Your application may not reach the further stages (ie. interview).
J DOT A
Don't get me wrong, 665 is a really good score but Leeds and Newcastle's cut off last year was in the 650's region if I am not mistaken, and they might raise it higher this year so...

No no I understand your point, however as a whole considering grades and all are leicester, newcastle, leeds, and another ,'safe, intergrated course uni,' too risky? Plus do you know any 'safe' unis which offer integrated courses?
Reply 1185
Leeds don't have a UKCAT cut off point. Last year, they scored everyone's application out of 46 or 47 and only 1 point was given for the UKCAT. This could be achieved with a score of over 700. Therefore it is clear that UKCAT is not very important to leeds. I don't know what the selection procedure is like this year though.

With regards to newcastle, as I mentioned in another thread, you don't want to look back in two months time realising that the ukcat cut off is 655 or 660 and then regretting that you didnt apply. If you want to go there then give it a shot. It is a risk, but as long as all your other options aren't very risky then its OK
larry000
Leeds don't have a UKCAT cut off point. Last year, they scored everyone's application out of 46 or 47 and only 1 point was given for the UKCAT. This could be achieved with a score of over 700. Therefore it is clear that UKCAT is not very important to leeds. I don't know what the selection procedure is like this year though.

With regards to newcastle, as I mentioned in another thread, you don't want to look back in two months time realising that the ukcat cut off is 655 or 660 and then regretting that you didnt apply. If you want to go there then give it a shot. It is a risk, but as long as all your other options aren't very risky then its OK

Really, UKCAT was only allocated 1 point out of 46/47? I really hope its like that again this year. But larry000 leeds and newcastle are both high risk, leicester is like a mid-card, and i really need a safe one which is integrated. Out of all the 32 medical schools in UK, its literally impossible to find a 'safe uni' which offers an integrated course.
GCSE's 4 A's 6 B's (really limits choices and makes whole application risky!!)
as levels aabcd (chem, maths, biology, gen studies, history)
Predicted grades (AAA chem, maths, biology(resitting practical- so do I put that as pending?) dropping history and picking up physics as in 2nd year.
UKCAT avg 700 lowest section 630

Applying to
Newcastle/Durham
Keele
BSMS
Peninsula
Last two are risky because of 4th as requirement
Thinking of dropping Peninsula and using two choices for Newcastle and Durham, really loved BSMS so am going to give that a go anyway.
Any Suggestions?
Reply 1188
I Just did my UKCAT - and got average of 632.5 =[
verbal- 520
quantitative - 680
abstract -680
decision -650

I've got 4a*s, 3as, 2bs, 3cs at gcse

I think my predictions for Biology, Chemsitry,Maths A*AA or AAA

My AS grades were abaa for bio,chem,maths,pyschology

What do you think I should do?
Where should I apply?
Reply 1189
yep! its unbelievable. yeh theyre both extremely competitive. You have to evaluate your own application and think about whether you should have one or two very risky options.

With 8A* you'd be almost guaranteed an interview at birmingham. So look into that. I dont know whether its integrated or not though :frown:
Does anyone know any 'safe' univerisites which offer an integrated course? Keele, Peninsula, etc are all PBL.
htgrace
Thank you! I'm just deciding between Birmingham and King's really. Do you happen to know how King's use your UKCAT score? I've heard that the cut off score for Barts last year was 665 so I'm just a bit worried!

Not sure as I never applied there, but on the wiki page for King's it says:
'"It will not be the sole indicator for selection, it will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal ‘cut off’ score for the UKCAT when applying for 2008-9 entry."

That was for 2 years ago but it's reassuring considering your scores and academics. Good luck x
zebra12345
Does anyone know any 'safe' univerisites which offer an integrated course? Keele, Peninsula, etc are all PBL.

Safe? Competition is pretty much fierce everywhere, if you're talking about the level of competition.
(edited 13 years ago)
larry000
yep! its unbelievable. yeh theyre both extremely competitive. You have to evaluate your own application and think about whether you should have one or two very risky options.

With 8A* you'd be almost guaranteed an interview at birmingham. So look into that. I dont know whether its integrated or not though :frown:

They are. But when I rang them they told me my application would be at the bottom of the pile (8A*s) and that depending on the level of competition this cycle (seeing the huge number of 12 A*, its gonna be very high) will they look at my application or not.

Last year they only looked at 8 A*s and above although their minimum is 7 and I think it is possibly gonna rise this year again
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Safe? Competition is pretty much fierce everywhere, if you're talking about the level of competition.

yes I understand, hence 'safe' was in inverted commas, but do you know any unis lower down the rankings which offer an integrated course? thanks
zebra12345
yes I understand, hence 'safe' was in inverted commas, but do you know any unis lower down the rankings which offer an integrated course? thanks

Universities lower down in rankings are not "safe"?
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

Hey, speaking of competition I just had a question. Is it too risky to apply to both BSMS and Bristol at the same time? Im thinking this because both of them have the highest ratio of applicants to places : 16 to 1 and 17 to 1.
Or should I not take such figure into account when making a decision?
Reply 1197
MayElattar
Hey, speaking of competition I just had a question. Is it too risky to apply to both BSMS and Bristol at the same time? Im thinking this because both of them have the highest ratio of applicants to places : 16 to 1 and 17 to 1.
Or should I not take such figure into account when making a decision?

Don't take it into account. Ratios can change so easily from year to year (e.g. one year everyone sees those ratios you've mentioned and avoids applying there meaning the ratios increase at other places and go way down there)
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Universities lower down in rankings are not "safe"?

Yes that is rather obvious, let me make it easier for you to understand, are there are any universities that offer an integrated course, plus there are a low number of applicants to places? Any help is appreciated.
zebra12345
Yes that is rather obvious, let me make it easier for you to understand, are there are any universities that offer an integrated course, plus there are a low number of applicants to places? Any help is appreciated.

Why don't you search yourself? It's not that difficult.

Latest

Trending

Trending