Scroll to see replies

Hey guys!
What are my chances with the following universities:

BSMS
Leeds
Southampton
UEA

GCSE's: 3A*'s and 8 A's i think
AS grades: AAAB (chem, maths, italian and bio)
Predicted grades: AAAA
UKCAT: 640 i think

I'm so nervous. I haven't even thought of a fifth optio. I don't think I want to do a BioMed course :\
I have quite a bit of w/e

Saraaaa :)
Hey guys!
What are my chances with the following universities:

BSMS
Leeds
Southampton
UEA

GCSE's: 3A*'s and 8 A's i think
AS grades: AAAB (chem, maths, italian and bio)
Predicted grades: AAAA
UKCAT: 640 i think

I'm so nervous. I haven't even thought of a fifth optio. I don't think I want to do a BioMed course :\
I have quite a bit of w/e

I think your grades are okay for med application but really wont be the strongest, as long as you have a great personal statment theres not much else you can do, With your GCSEs have you checked out liverpool their points system will work in your favour. If you dont want to do bioMed dont apply check out chemistry or bioChem just have a science course in mind
Zozosham
Guys, I honestly have no idea on what to do.
GCSEs: 0.5 A* 5 A 4B 1C
AS: ABBB (prediction = AAA)
UKCAT: 667.5

Regarding these grades, what would one suggest? I have a feeling that the Universities won't even look at my application due to my poor grades.

excuse my ignorance but what is 0.5 A*????"?:confused:
UKCAT is good but the rest is below average for med application dont apply to the obvious uni's like birmingham or Quens in Belfast they wont look at it. Theres over 20 med schools in the UK some focus on UKCAT like sheffield others on AS n A level grades others on your personal statment and work experience, if you have a great statment target these universities. At this point if you havent researched these uni's to find out which works best in your advantage youre probably not all that interested in med and dont posess the organisational skills necessary. Have you not emailed them? whats your C in if its maths or english or a science some med schools will automatically reject your applications, its important to find out which these are and rule them out. You have alot of work ahead of you.
Reply 1583
My last choice is between SGUL, Bristol or Aberdeen :confused:

Can't make my mind up, my heart says Bristol....
Reply 1584
5 A's GCSE
AAA predicted
630+ UKCAT

If you meet the above you're good to go for most uni's. Obviously things can vary (UKCAT and GCSE) but that's a rough guide.
Reply 1585
Hello Fellow Medaholics,
I just sat the UKCAT yesterday and i got an average of 657. I was wondering what universities should i apply to.
Reply 1586
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1587
Anyone?
Reply 1588
its wise to apply to places where you can do what you want to do.
it makes you wonder how anybody got into med school before this forum...
Medicz
GCSEs: 2A* 7A 1B
AS: AAAb (Bio, Chem, Maths & Physics)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 697.5 (Lowest 620, Highest 760)

Personal Statment: Id say about average.

Uni Choices:
Imperial (BMAT Obv)
Queen Mary
Manchester
Kings Extended EDMP/Brighton and Sussex/Lecister

Would i meet QMUL ?
Any recomendations for my fourth choice?!
Does anyone know the points required for Leciester Interview last year?

Thanks in Advance

This is like reading a patient's test results.

Ok the one thing that I can pick on is that you say your personal statement is "average". If that's the case then how on Earth will it stand out from the crowd and be selected over other candidates? Not sure about their cutoff but QMUL do have a specific cut off and I'm not sure whether you meet that or not.

Obviously all medical schools are uber competetive, Imperial perhaps slightly more so for the fact that it is Imperial. Your GCSEs are good but obviously not straight A*s so BMAT will be important but I don't think Imperial look so closely at GCSEs anyway.

Your profile seems fine just be more confident in your own ability. Also do check if your UKCAT score is ok for QMUL or Bart's as people like to call it here.

Good luck with it all.
Reply 1591
Which universities would be better to apply to with UKCAT Score 648 and 2.1 degree? Thanks.
Reply 1592
Mycool K Sowole
Sorry to hijack this, but I'm also having problems with my 3rd and 4th choices,
Choices:

1. King's College London
2. University Of Sheffield
3 and 4. Leister/Manchester/Barts/Southampton(I'm eligible for the 6 year course, which requires BBC minimum)

GCSE's: 1.5 A* 8A 1B 1C

AS: Biology (b)
Chemistry (b)
Physics (b)
Maths (a)

Predicted: AAAB

UKCAT: 2940 (735 average)

Done minimal amounts of work experience and volunteer work.

Thanks for any help

Hey i got exactly the sames grade as you at AS, and more or less the same at GCSEs :smile: Why sheffield?
Reply 1593
My UKCAT Average is 697.5
and cant make up my mind which one :frown:

AS: AAAb
A2: A*A*A* Predictions
GCSE: 2A* 7A 1B

What uni have i got a better chance of an interview? I like both equally the same :frown:
Reply 1594
Either; Manchester if your statement is pretty good (you WILL get an interview, if so).

Don't really know about Newcastle, UKCAT is fine for either though.
Manchester :smile:
Reply 1596
Hi everyone, as i wrote earlier my UKCAT is 633 average, (520, 680, 680 and 650) i have 4A*s and 3As, I'll be predicted AAA or higher and I'm going to be doing BMAT, which unis shall i apply to? I'm thinking of st.georges and i don't want to apply too far away from london. Thankks =]
Reply 1597
-beads-
Either; Manchester if your statement is pretty good (you WILL get an interview, if so).

Don't really know about Newcastle, UKCAT is fine for either though.

I wouldnt say my personal statment is the BEST. Which out of the two place a lower emphasis (if any) on personal statment?
Reply 1598
Medicz
I wouldnt say my personal statment is the BEST. Which out of the two place a lower emphasis (if any) on personal statment?

Like I said, I don't know much about Newcastle.

Manchester though: They interview based on STATEMENT!

You could have UUCBDEGGGGF @ GCSE and get an interview at Manchester.

Whether or not they accept you will be based on your academics and interview... UKCAT they look at last; but do have a high-ish cut off.
with that UKCAT score, I would apply to Sheffield. If you're personal statement is fine, you're almost guaranteed to get an interview (Y)
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending