The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tolkein is an actual genius though, much smarter than J K Rowling.
stephyrose23
A lot of people are forgetting that to be funny (well, actually funny) you need to be very intelligent. Wit is a type of intelligence.

There is one person that people always call a genius and it really gets my goat. And that is Andrew Lloyd Webber.

The reason for this is, when I compare the musicals he has composed to others, they seem really pants in comparison. I wanted to kill myself in Joseph and don't even get me started on Starlight Express. And then I remembered that 'Oh wait, he did do Phantom, you know, credit where its due . . . ' and then I found out that he didn't write any of the good songs.

And now everyone thinks he wrote other musicals like 'Oliver' and 'Sound Of Music' because he is involved with programmes to do with them (clever thinking, mate) and they're like 'Oh, hes such a genius', when really, hes not that amazing.

Rant over.

Thank God there's someone who feels the same way I do about ALW. I'm not even going to start ranting because I'll never stop. Imo, there are about three musical theatre composers who ARE (or were in R+H's case) geniuses and that's Rogers and Hammerstein and Sondheim. The only one of ALW's musicals I can abide is 'Phantom' and that's because it's the only one that doesn't make me want to kill myself.

ALW is very savvy (so I suppose you could call him a genius in that sense), he knows the general public who know nothing about musicals will go and see his musicals and the musicals he promotes because of his name. I've heard so many people say 'ALW is popular so he must be good.' No. Just no. :facepalm:
I don't understand WHY he's so popular but there you go.

And Stephenie Meyer could never be considered a genius. The things she comes out with...

I don't think Stephen Fry is a genius, I just think he's very articulate and very well educated and has amazing general knowledge and wit. Plus, A Bit of Fry and Laurie never gets old! :p:
Hugh-Jackman
Tolkein is an actual genius though, much smarter than J K Rowling.

Why? Did you teach them both and Tolkein got higher marks or something?
Keynes.
stephyrose23
Why? Did you teach them both and Tolkein got higher marks or something?

Read up on tolkein, got a stupidly high IQ, learnt loads and loads of languages. You can just tell he's a proper genius.
Hugh-Jackman
Read up on tolkein, got a stupidly high IQ, learnt loads and loads of languages. You can just tell he's a proper genius.

Learnt, hell he made his own language!!! elvish
Reply 106
Can I start a thread about people of who aren't considereed geniuses but are?

I'm number 1.
lm_wfc
Can I start a thread about people of who aren't considereed geniuses but are?

I'm number 1.

Only if i can be Number 2 :wink:
TSR residents.
Reply 109
General Gab
Only if i can be Number 2 :wink:

Why not. Go get the coffees in.
Michael ******* Moore
Nelson Mandela got above Richard Dawkins :mad: :mad: :mad:
Bagration
Nelson Mandela got above Richard Dawkins :mad: :mad: :mad:

who the hell considers these people to be geniuses?!?! Nelson Mandela and Richard Dawkins?! GTFO.
KwungSun
What do you call "new"? If I invent a couple of new words am I a genius?

PS If one looks at the ridiculous vagueness of the criteria in that Guardian article ("paradigm shifting" wtf?) the crapness of those rankings becomes pretty clear.

Obviously I mean someone who invents something significant. Most people can make up words, I'm talking about stuff like electricity and such. Genius is pretty hard to define and it's subjective.
Elementric
Is that a joke?

The irony is that you think this is true because you don't remember any of the ones that have sold more. :rolleyes:

I fail to see how that is ironic.

Fastest selling then, whatever. Either way enough to be remembered in a few generations time. If people remember Peter Pan now they'll remember Harry Potter in 100 years time.
Meryl Streep?! Dolly Parton?! ALI?! One is not convinced.
Reply 116
WTF - bin Laden's on that telegraph list.
KwungSun
I fail to see how that is ironic.

Fastest selling then, whatever. Either way enough to be remembered in a few generations time. If people remember Peter Pan now they'll remember Harry Potter in 100 years time.

Well I'm not sure I can help you on that one.... :rolleyes:
Reply 118
Hathlan
Dude, even I fail to sound this pseudo-intellectual, and I thought it was my forte. Stop making me look bad.

Thanks. It was a regrettable post :yep:
Elementric
Well I'm not sure I can help you on that one.... :rolleyes:

Not surprised.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending