The Student Room Group

having a type

why is it seen as a bad thing to have a preference for a specific appearance or race
for example what if a white guy says his type is black girls but that’s because he’s grown up in a black area and gone to a mostly black school where that’s all he knows and has adopted black peoples culture
whenever I have said I have a type people are so quick to get offended it’s strange
Original post by Anonymous
why is it seen as a bad thing to have a preference for a specific appearance or race
for example what if a white guy says his type is black girls but that’s because he’s grown up in a black area and gone to a mostly black school where that’s all he knows and has adopted black peoples culture
whenever I have said I have a type people are so quick to get offended it’s strange

I I think it's largely because a lot of people (especially on here) associate it with racial fetishism. This is when the only thing they care about the person is their skin colour. So... if all you cared about was the fact that she was black, and she could be anything from devout church girl to a twerking girl on an MTV video, then that's considered a fetish... or if you were only with them to have a mixed race child. On the other hand, quite often when people say they're attracted to "X" race, its often because of some stereotype that's associated with that race... and they quickly lose interest when they find out person doesn't conform to perceived stereotype.

When you talk about "Black Culture", I think you need to be more specific. Do you mean the modern Urban Street culture? Do you mean the contemporary Music / Entertainment scene (e.g. Grime, Bashment / Afrobeats etc.)? Do you enjoy going to Pentecostal Church services? Or do you have a thing for Jerk chicken or Jollof rice?

IMHO, you like what you like... and there's nothing wrong with having a preference (in the true sense). Where I start to have a problem with it is if / when you are completely closed minded to dating anyone who isn't of said colour / background. Personally, I've found if you can open your mind and date others who aren't your type, you'll find you're compatible with a lot more people than you thought (and may even develop in ways you never thought possible).
Reply 2
Psychotic small brunettes are mine. I should branch out. Or maybe not.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Its because if ur type is a race then theres a very fine line between it genuinely just being a type, and it just being u fetishising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending