Scroll to see replies

Shorter than 5'5.
Under 5ft very short for any adult.

From a UK perspective.
Reply 4
Original post by mallowtopia
Shorter than 5'5.
Under 5ft very short for any adult.

5'5 absolutely is not the cut off unless you're in Asia or sumn.
Odd that half the respondants so far think the average height of a guy in the UK is actually short :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Odd that half the respondants so far think the average height of a guy in the UK is actually short :smile:

5'8 is below average
Original post by Admit-One

5’8 is below the average height thus making it short for men in the UK.

I don’t care about one’s height but yeah the average male height in the UK is 5’9, not 5’8 thus making 5’8 below average/short from a UK perspective.

Same thing for women, 5’3 is the average height I think so 5’2 and lower is below average/short from a UK perspective.

I don’t know what the average height is for men in other countries without Googling properly so I can’t speak from that perspective.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 8
Below six foot and you're a manlet
Original post by gjd800
Below six foot and you're a manlet

So if you're 6 foot, how tall are you? I know I shouldn't ask, but I'm just too fascinated to look away at this point.

Is it average? Tall? ? Short, but not too-short?
(edited 6 months ago)
who cares to be honest
Original post by Talkative Toad
5’8 is below the average height thus making it short for men in the UK.

I don’t care about one’s height but yeah the average male height in the UK is 5’9, not 5’8 thus making 5’8 below average/short from a UK perspective.

Same thing for women, 5’3 is the average height I think so 5’2 and lower is below average/short from a UK perspective.

I don’t know what the average height is for men in other countries without Googling properly so I can’t speak from that perspective.

Below average implies short? 5'9 is 175.3 cm so is 175.2 cm short? Are men in the UK of height at least 5'10 or 175.4 tall?

Taking the average height and claiming anything below it should be viewed as "short" does not sound reasonable to me. If only non-short and non-tall men are the ones of exactly the average height then there would be nobody who is of "average" height (nobody is exactly 5'9 if we use subatomic-scale precision).
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by hassassin04
Below average implies short? 5'9 is 175.3 so is 175.2 short? Are men in the UK of height at least 5'10 or 175.4 tall?

Taking the average height and claiming anything below it should be viewed as "short" does not sound reasonable to me. If only non-short and non-tall men are the ones of exactly the average height then there would be nobody who is of "average" height (nobody is exactly 5'9 if we use subatomic-scale precision).

Yeah if you’re below the average height then you’re short in my opinion. The average is there for a reason. So I will consider a 5’10 male to be tall/average from a UK perspective.

So a 5’8 guy would considered to be above average height/tall in area like Bangladesh but below average height/short in a European country (especially in the Netherlands) for example. https://www.dryukselyurttas.com/post/average-height-men-and-women

In short (no pun intended), I consider any male shorter than 5’9 to be short in the UK.

I honestly don’t care about one’s height though, it’s more about statistics and averages for me.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
Yeah if you’re below the average height then you’re short in my opinion. The average is there for a reason. So I will consider a 5’10 male to be tall/average from a UK perspective.

So a 5’8 guy would considered to be above average height/tall in area like Bangladesh but below average height/short in a European country (especially in the Netherlands) for example. https://www.dryukselyurttas.com/post/average-height-men-and-women

In short (no pun intended), I consider any male shorter than 5’9 to be short in the UK.

I honestly don’t care about one’s height though, it’s more about statistics and averages for me.

What you are suggesting makes little sense from statistical point of view. What normally is done is that the "average height" is a range, depending on the distribution of the data.

You are free to consider anything below any mark to be short but again, based on that (imo silly) method, nobody is "average".
Reply 14
Original post by ThatOldGuy
So if you're 6 foot, how tall are you? I know I shouldn't ask, but I'm just too fascinated to look away at this point.

Is it average? Tall? ? Short, but not too-short?

The quandary of our times
Reply 15
Original post by Charles III
who cares to be honest

Y'all say this and then go on Twitter and post about how there should be a genocide for manlets.
Original post by Hazz€r

Y'all say this and then go on Twitter and post about how there should be a genocide for manlets.

what in the name of Christ are you talking about
Original post by hassassin04
What you are suggesting makes little sense from statistical point of view. What normally is done is that the "average height" is a range, depending on the distribution of the data.

You are free to consider anything below any mark to be short but again, based on that (imo silly) method, nobody is "average".

Yeah I’m going off of data, I’m not plucking a number out of thin air, call it silly if you want but that’s your choice. Based on data if you’re shorter than 5’9 for a male, you are below average/below where you should be when it comes to male height in the UK.

There are people who are 5’9.

I don’t find really someone who is 5’8 to be short in reality (male or female, and I would find a 5’8 female to be tall) but I prefer to use data in this context.

Also I’m only using feet here because that’s what Brits like to use when talking about height, and that’s what the websites and OP has used. I personally find it silly to measure my height using feet and much prefer a more logical unit known as centimetres. I pretty much always say I’m 150cm over saying I’m 5’0 for example.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Charles III
what in the name of Christ are you talking about

I'm talking about this:

https://twitter.com/DoveManActual/status/1705139971126903078
https://twitter.com/dawempire/status/1707299454263361797
https://imgur.com/a/8TJan

cillian murphy 1.jpgcillian murphy 2.pngcillian murphy 3.png

You lot decided height is a big deal, don't try and change teams now.
i'm confused here...

Quick Reply

Latest