The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

KwungSun
Not surprised.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Umm... ok?

wtf is Matt Groening doing above Steven Hawking?!?!?!?

:frown:
Sgrafitti
1) Stephen Fry
2) David Mitchell
3) J K Rowling
4) Stephenie Meyer

Anyone else :teeth:

I wouldn't call any of them geniuses...

From what Ive seen:

Fry is very clever
Mitchell is pretty clever
J K Rowling wrote a good book
Dont know who Meyer is
Reply 123
WTF is osama bin laden doing on the list?? above bill gates haha
Reply 124
stephen fry is very intelligent but not a genious, but who are genious'.

I cannot think of many, maybe stephen hawking and a couple others.

Einstein many peple call a genious but a lot of his and other peoples success is down to hard work, no one comes up with complex theories without putting the work in.

A genious to me is someone who does something on natural talent alone, and i don't believe anything to do with education can be down to genious alone.

The person who has never played football before but is as good as a prem league player is a genious of football.

The person who can fight with the best having no training is a genious of fighting.

But anyone who has gone through over a decade of education and puts in the work will get the grades and provided they are intelligent to start with will seem like a genious to most people.

edit** einstein probably was a genious of maths, but my point was many genious' exist but a lot of people waste their gifts by not doing anything with it.(think good will hunting for a fictional example of the sort of thing i was talking about)
stephyrose23
People consider Tolkein a genuis for Lord Of The Rings - why not Rowling? She has done a very similar thing, just with a different narrative.

Tolkiens world is much more fully realised and rich. You can't begin to grasp the extend to which he populated and detailed Middle Earth by only reading LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit (but even then, they go into much greater depths than Harry Potter).

...also creating the Elvish languages of Middle Earth automatically puts him way above JKR!
g-e-n-i-u-s
Who cares, genius is an inherently subjective trait.
Reply 128
You only need an iq of 140+ to be classed as a genius which is about 2% of the population (depending on the test). Although this makes it uncommon, thats about 1.2 million people in the UK that are literally classed as a genius so I dont know why people so surprised. It's not the its that one exceptional guy who pops up every 100 years like Einstein or Newton these are highest or unmeasurable genius.
Hugh-Jackman
Yes it's inheritently flawed, it just so happens that every person that has made major science and mathematics break-throughs have incredible high IQ's.

People saying IQ mean nothing are usually black!

Huh, that was uncalled for racism, firstly I am not black.

Secondly your use of the the word inheritently, thats not a real word.

Finally of course people who make science and Mathematics breakthroughs have high IQ's it's a measure of Logical-Mathematic intelligence, therefore people with high IQ's are more likely to be good at maths.
I have a tested IQ of 134 this is a weak measure of intelligence.

IQ means nothing, you could have an immense IQ and be lazy as hell, you still wouldn't get any work done.
Reply 130
Sgrafitti
1) Stephen Fry
2) David Mitchell
3) J K Rowling
4) Stephenie Meyer

Anyone else :teeth:

Who on earth considers them geniuses? :eek:
Reply 131
That list was bizarre. What is the thing with lists? I like lists but so often they're basically meaningless, based on arbitrary rules. How can someone be joint the joint 26th biggest genius in the world - it's ridiculous...

Based on their criteria how is Brian Eno on there and Bob Dylan not?
Reply 132
KwungSun
You doubt JK Rowling will be remembered by future generations? She's the best selling author of all time (more or less)...

Oh and Quentin Tarantino belongs on that list for sure.

I only say this because writers like Swift were very popular at particular times and are now seldom read. Isn't part of HP's appeal the way the wizarding world very gently mocks our own (e.g. spelotape; Ministry of Majic etc etc), and I don't think that charm will apply in say, 100-years time.
shon3n jump
Huh, that was uncalled for racism, firstly I am not black.

Secondly your use of the the word inheritently, thats not a real word.

Finally of course people who make science and Mathematics breakthroughs have high IQ's it's a measure of Logical-Mathematic intelligence, therefore people with high IQ's are more likely to be good at maths.
I have a tested IQ of 134 this is a weak measure of intelligence.

IQ means nothing, you could have an immense IQ and be lazy as hell, you still wouldn't get any work done.

Hence why I said after not everyone who has a high IQ makes massive advancement in maths and science. What I do believe is that every person that is a known great mathematicians/scientist has a high IQ.
AisAis
I believe Stephen and JKR are. But it depends on your definition.

Stephen has an incredable eloquence, and JKR has created an imaginary world that's captivated millions... both of these are talents worthy of being decribed with the G word.

However, I doubt they'll be remembred by future generations. - Maybe this is what OP is getting at.

J K Rowling is a genius? She's barely even a good writer, let alone intelligent, let alone a genius. She wrote a series of popular CHILDRENS BOOKS.

Hendryck Lorentz, Newton, Edison, Volta, John Nash, Feynman - these men are geniuses.

I hate people sometimes.
AisAis
Stephen has an incredable eloquence, and JKR has created an imaginary world that's captivated millions... both of these are talents worthy of being decribed with the G word.

I agree, they're both Gangsta. :teeth:
Reply 136
Hugh-Jackman
Hence why I said after not everyone who has a high IQ makes massive advancement in maths and science. What I do believe is that every person that is a known great mathematicians/scientist has a high IQ.

That's because IQ tests are skewed in favour of mathematical type minds. It does well in testing certain kinds of intelligence but says next to nothing about other skills - memory, creativity, emotional intelligence etc.
So people can be genius's/genii and do terribly on IQ tests...
Varciani
Kanye West?

Gay fish?
Reply 138
sksflipper
He did an undergrad in Physics, he worked with Penrose (mathematician), holds Lucasian Chair. I'd say he was fairly able in both discipline.

Newton also held Lucasian chair, is he a mathematicain or physicist? I think you can be both
Yeah, he did an undergrad in Physics. So what? It doesn't really say anything, except that he used to study Physics. He is now a mathematician, whatever else he has been, because he needs to use mathemetics to calculate and prove his hypotheses and theories concerning cosmology. Speaking of which: if you want to be really awkward, he is a cosmologist.
Reply 139
Deffo Stephen Fry, he's the first thing that came to mind!

Latest

Trending

Trending