The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How much revision you do will give you a good grade. Of course revision guides are helpful, but ultimately, it is up to you.
Reply 2
my_anon
I got a C in edexcel biology AS and whereas my friend who only use the revision guide got a b. I was just wondering if the CGP Edexcel revision guides give you a high grade.

If you don't see where you're wrong, you shouldn't do A Levels.
Reply 3
Ok let me start this again! I revised really hard for my a levels and only recieve a lousy C grade. I was wondering if i learn the CGP guide inside out (and of course understand it) as well as learning how science work examples. Of course i am going to put an effort in.
Reply 4
Here is something i read on another post:

I would recommend the CGP revision guide. Can be purchased for £10.99 pretty much anywhere (WHSmith, Waterstones or other good book shops/online).

It is very good in the way it's simple, has a good layout and is easy to read, making it very worthwhile. It splits topics into chunks and they are explained as simply as possible. I am doing the same course as you, but they do specify what you need to learn for Edexcel/OCR/AQA A or B etc... Although sometimes they are wrong so be careful.

Their books are very informative but informal too, which makes them great to read.

I would add that they don't go into too much detail, but certainly help you to understand the basics and general concepts. If you solely revised the revision guide and learnt it all, I would imagine you could get a high B/ good A in unit 4.

Is this true?
Reply 5
Also is the syllabus realiable? Or doesnt it tell me everything i need to know for the exam?
my_anon
Here is something i read on another post:

I would recommend the CGP revision guide. Can be purchased for £10.99 pretty much anywhere (WHSmith, Waterstones or other good book shops/online).

It is very good in the way it's simple, has a good layout and is easy to read, making it very worthwhile. It splits topics into chunks and they are explained as simply as possible. I am doing the same course as you, but they do specify what you need to learn for Edexcel/OCR/AQA A or B etc... Although sometimes they are wrong so be careful.

Their books are very informative but informal too, which makes them great to read.

I would add that they don't go into too much detail, but certainly help you to understand the basics and general concepts. If you solely revised the revision guide and learnt it all, I would imagine you could get a high B/ good A in unit 4.

Is this true?

No. Collins Student Support Materials > CGP anyday. :yep:
Reply 7
Jingers
If you don't see where you're wrong, you shouldn't do A Levels.

This. AS/A2 Levels aren't like GCSE where you can just be spoonfed the necessary information and regurgitate it for the exam.
Reply 8
Revision guides for A Level are generally designed to get you up to a solid B - all you need to do to make that an A is to use the textbook and have a thorough understanding of the course so you can apply the knowledge to many situations :smile:
Hippysnake

:eek: Don't listen to this person; their lousy books have clearly sent them insane! :p:

CGP FTW
scott8anthony
:eek: Don't listen to this person; their lousy books have clearly sent them insane! :p:

CGP FTW

I use CSSM and I (without seeming to big-headed, I'm making a point here-) got 98% and 94% in my Biology and Chemistry respectively. CGPs were crummy in comparison, and my classmates and teachers agreed, so much so, that the school may defer their usual CGP guide orders and buy CSSM instead!
Hippysnake
I use CSSM and I (without seeming to big-headed, I'm making a point here-) got 98% and 94% in my Biology and Chemistry respectively. CGPs were crummy in comparison, and my classmates and teachers agreed, so much so, that the school may defer their usual CGP guide orders and buy CSSM instead!

Well done! :eek3: :woo:
What I've learned over the years (I sound like an old man! :o:) is that there's not one method that'll suit everyone - I guess I just liked their informal jokes more than dull diagrams!

I got 97% and 95.5% for physics and biology respectively :wink:
scott8anthony
Well done! :eek3: :woo:
What I've learned over the years (I sound like an old man! :o:) is that there's not one method that'll suit everyone - I guess I just liked their informal jokes more than dull diagrams!

I got 97% and 95.5% for physics and biology respectively :wink:

Well done!
The physics CSSM isn't out yet. I don't think it is anyway.

Besides the CGP jokes are pretty goddamn stale, and most of the times, embarassing.

But you're right, each to his/her own

(OP should still get CSSM though. :yep: )
Oh, my_anon, one thing I would say, whether you go for CGP, CSSM, Letts, whatever, is do as many past papers as you can!
Hippysnake
Well done!
The physics CSSM isn't out yet. I don't think it is anyway.

Besides the CGP jokes are pretty goddamn stale, and most of the times, embarassing.

But you're right, each to his/her own

(OP should still get CSSM though. :yep: )

:laugh:
Read around a little bit.

Use more then one revision guide. And look for notes on-line.

Using one guide is a little risky.
Reply 16
I just memorised mark schemes and got 300/300 UMS for AS Biology, although that didn't work too well for A2. I ended up averaging 73% at A2 which still gave me a good A overall :p:

Past papers + exam technique practice = the way to go.
no

but it can help, YOU will get you an A (well might at least)
Reply 18
Revision guides + Text Books + Online resources + Past papers = A
Hippysnake

It all depends on the person really. I love CGP, and find they help so much, particularly in science subjects. Sometimes I think other books are too wordy/explain things in a weird order, then I read CGP and it all makes sense. I woiuldn't rely on CGP totally, but I find them more helpful than any other source personally as a starter to revision.

But yeah, what others have said. Use revision guides, textbooks and past papers and do lots of practice :smile:

Latest