The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do you mean tuition being lectures? i.e 8 hours lectures and the rest tutorials. the lecture amount is normal for my law course provisional timetable.
Thats a fairly typical amount of hours. I only had 9 in my first year, one of my flat mates had 6- over 2 days!

Law students typically have more than that at my university, but I suppose it varies.
Reply 3
timetokill
Thats a fairly typical amount of hours. I only had 9 in my first year, one of my flat mates had 6- over 2 days!

Law students typically have more than that at my university, but I suppose it varies.

Thanks for the reply :wink:
So you think, with all my tutorials, workshops, seminars and lectures, 10 hours a week is standard, for first term timetable?
Reply 4
timatables are a bit silly at uni.
I do 16 hours of lab, 8 hours of lectures, 2 hours example classes. I am expected to do 2 hours extra reading for lectures (yeah right) and example work will take me 2-4 hours or so for my physics degree

so this should be 35 hours a week

art degrees have less time in contact because you are supposed to work independently more

My gf does politics and she only has 10 hours a week lectures. We are both in third year, so i would say its normal, make the most of your lie-ins, do extra reading.

Dont work out how much it costs you per hour - this = unhappiness
i only have 10 hours overall of study myself in a week - thats lectures, seminars and workshops

the rest has to be self/independent study :erm:
Reply 6
Yeah I have 8 hours of Politics a week and four hours of French.
Reply 7
I have 9 hours worth of lectures + final year project (which will be probs take up far longer than the lectures) for the last year of my AP degree :smile:
Zizou10
Thanks for the reply :wink:
So you think, with all my tutorials, workshops, seminars and lectures, 10 hours a week is standard, for first term timetable?

Well I would have expected a little more for a law timetable, but I only base that on the fact that flat mates who did law had 12-14 hours a week.

10 hours, university wide is pretty typical yeah :smile:
It Varies, the uni that I dropped out of last year only gave me 4 hours tuition a week.

My new uni that I am in this year has given me 13 hours a week.
Reply 10
screenager2004
It Varies, the uni that I dropped out of last year only gave me 4 hours tuition a week.

My new uni that I am in this year has given me 13 hours a week.

may i ask what Uni you dropped out of?
jon838
may i ask what Uni you dropped out of?

I left Goldsmiths College London.
Reply 12
screenager2004
I left Goldsmiths College London.

Thats a pretty good Uni, why did you drop out?
I have 10 hrs of business / economics a week
Reply 14
Hanvyj

Hehe did you do this? How much is it costing you? :p:
jon838
Thats a pretty good Uni, why did you drop out?

Multiple reasons: Some are the unis fault, some aren't.

My accommodation was dire, up an alley (that for a few weeks had sick and human diarrhea spewed across the entrance that you had to gingerly step around), my room had no window and shared walls with two front doors that were slammed until 4am. I wasn't in halls, I was in a small flat with five other girls who I had nothing in common with. In the freshers week I was stopped by a terrifying hobo guy who wanted change, when I gave him a couple of coins out of my back pocket he shouted "I know you students have more than that" and I ended up giving him about a tenner.

I got two lectures a week. In the lectures I learned nothing because the teachers just repeated what had been set for reading. In the seminars NO ONE else did the reading, so we just spent the seminar explaining the reading to those people in GCSE speak, I dont think I actually learned a single thing the whole time I was there. We had to explain to the people who didn't bother what the words "connotation" or "juxtapositon" meant because they couldn't read the set reading.

Then once a week you'd have a "production workshop" - which was (I kid you not) playing with crayons and pastels and drawing pictures of leaves - something I did when I was in year 2.

The assessed essays were alright - everyone got a 2.1, even the people who said "Whats a reference? I didn't know you had to reference things I just wrote what I thought" after handing it in. Then after handing in a draft, my tutor said I was a "silly woman" for being unsatisfied with a 2.1 and made me do something completely different two weeks before the final deadline that had NOTHING to do with what I had researched for the last 3 months.

Hated it.
Reply 16

Originally Posted by Hanvyj

Hehe did you do this? How much is it costing you?

its not so bad for me, about £6 (this works out as £1500 per lecture for the university) if my maths is right, it was much worse in first year

for an 8 hour week however, assuming four blocks of 6 weeks = 192 hours = about £17 a lecture
Zizou10
Hi
Got my uni timetable last week and im abit unsure about it. I study law and im in my 1st year, and 1 week i get 8 hours tuition and the week with my tutorials included, is 10 hours a week. Is that normal, or not?
Thanks

I study law.
Timetables between unis differ. I know for one thing that my uni does more modules per year than KCL according to a friend - I do six whereas he does four.
Its always been the same amount of hours throughout the three years - 2hrs lecture pw for each module, and one 1hr tutorial per fortnight for each module.
So each week I have 15 uni hours.
Reply 18
i have 8-10 hours a week, and i'm also a law student.
Reply 19
screenager2004
Multiple reasons: Some are the unis fault, some aren't.

My accommodation was dire, up an alley (that for a few weeks had sick and human diarrhea spewed across the entrance that you had to gingerly step around), my room had no window and shared walls with two front doors that were slammed until 4am. I wasn't in halls, I was in a small flat with five other girls who I had nothing in common with. In the freshers week I was stopped by a terrifying hobo guy who wanted change, when I gave him a couple of coins out of my back pocket he shouted "I know you students have more than that" and I ended up giving him about a tenner.

I got two lectures a week. In the lectures I learned nothing because the teachers just repeated what had been set for reading. In the seminars NO ONE else did the reading, so we just spent the seminar explaining the reading to those people in GCSE speak, I dont think I actually learned a single thing the whole time I was there. We had to explain to the people who didn't bother what the words "connotation" or "juxtapositon" meant because they couldn't read the set reading.

Then once a week you'd have a "production workshop" - which was (I kid you not) playing with crayons and pastels and drawing pictures of leaves - something I did when I was in year 2.

The assessed essays were alright - everyone got a 2.1, even the people who said "Whats a reference? I didn't know you had to reference things I just wrote what I thought" after handing it in. Then after handing in a draft, my tutor said I was a "silly woman" for being unsatisfied with a 2.1 and made me do something completely different two weeks before the final deadline that had NOTHING to do with what I had researched for the last 3 months.

Hated it.

i just started Goldsmiths as a 1st year student an you scared me alot may i ask you what course your studied there and what new uni you transfered to?

Latest

Trending

Trending