The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I do two hours per module per week - so 12 hours.
Imson
i just started Goldsmiths as a 1st year student an you scared me alot may i ask you what course your studied there and what new uni you transfered to?

Don't be scared, if you are enjoying it then enjoy it! As I said before, I don't think all of those things were the unis fault. (I mean, they can't stop someone pooing in the street or me bumping into a scary hobo - thats just London for you!) - I got a bit unlucky with the students I was put in Seminar groups with, none of those are the fault of the University.

I was doing Media and Communications - I did notice that there was a bit of complaining by other students on that course, but all my friends doing Drama, fine Art, English Lit, History of Art and Politics were all loving their time there.

I'm now at the University of Warwick.
Reply 22
screenager2004
Don't be scared, if you are enjoying it then enjoy it! As I said before, I don't think all of those things were the unis fault. (I mean, they can't stop someone pooing in the street or me bumping into a scary hobo - thats just London for you!) - I got a bit unlucky with the students I was put in Seminar groups with, none of those are the fault of the University.

I was doing Media and Communications - I did notice that there was a bit of complaining by other students on that course, but all my friends doing Drama, fine Art, English Lit, History of Art and Politics were all loving their time there.

I'm now at the University of Warwick.

Really! there media department is the best and they get complaints:confused:

So you actually get 13 hours of tuition at warwick 9 hours more than at Goldsmiths?...looks like there is more workload and pressure at the top russell group unis i guess

btw im not completely satisfied with my 1st week at Goldsmiths now having mixed feelings whether i pick the right choice or not:o:
Imson
Really! there media department is the best and they get complaints:confused:

So you actually get 13 hours of tuition at warwick 9 hours more than at Goldsmiths?...looks like there is more workload and pressure at the top russell group unis i guess

btw im not completely satisfied with my 1st week at Goldsmiths now having mixed feelings whether i pick the right choice or not:o:

You can't expect to be totally satisfied in the first week, give it some time! You haven't even had any proper lectures yet!! What subject are you doing?

I'm doing a different subject at Warwick, so its natural that the contact hours would be different, arts subjects generally get less time than social sciences and sciences because you're supposed to do independent work.

I have NO idea why Goldsmiths keep saying they have the best media department. The Times ranked them 8th for Media this year, The Complete university guide ranked them 11th, the guardian put them at 21st! I don't know where they felt they could claim to be Number one?!
Reply 24
I have 12 hours a week on Computer Science/Multimedia Computing.
Reply 25
screenager2004
Multiple reasons: Some are the unis fault, some aren't.

My accommodation was dire, up an alley (that for a few weeks had sick and human diarrhea spewed across the entrance that you had to gingerly step around), my room had no window and shared walls with two front doors that were slammed until 4am. I wasn't in halls, I was in a small flat with five other girls who I had nothing in common with. In the freshers week I was stopped by a terrifying hobo guy who wanted change, when I gave him a couple of coins out of my back pocket he shouted "I know you students have more than that" and I ended up giving him about a tenner.

I got two lectures a week. In the lectures I learned nothing because the teachers just repeated what had been set for reading. In the seminars NO ONE else did the reading, so we just spent the seminar explaining the reading to those people in GCSE speak, I dont think I actually learned a single thing the whole time I was there. We had to explain to the people who didn't bother what the words "connotation" or "juxtapositon" meant because they couldn't read the set reading.

Then once a week you'd have a "production workshop" - which was (I kid you not) playing with crayons and pastels and drawing pictures of leaves - something I did when I was in year 2.

The assessed essays were alright - everyone got a 2.1, even the people who said "Whats a reference? I didn't know you had to reference things I just wrote what I thought" after handing it in. Then after handing in a draft, my tutor said I was a "silly woman" for being unsatisfied with a 2.1 and made me do something completely different two weeks before the final deadline that had NOTHING to do with what I had researched for the last 3 months.

Hated it.

ha sounded pretty dire; thanks for writing this.
Reply 26
screenager2004
You can't expect to be totally satisfied in the first week, give it some time! You haven't even had any proper lectures yet!! What subject are you doing?

I'm doing a different subject at Warwick, so its natural that the contact hours would be different, arts subjects generally get less time than social sciences and sciences because you're supposed to do independent work.

I have NO idea why Goldsmiths keep saying they have the best media department. The Times ranked them 8th for Media this year, The Complete university guide ranked them 11th, the guardian put them at 21st! I don't know where they felt they could claim to be Number one?!

yea i had my first lecture today it was alright but it finished way early...suppose to finish at 6 according to timetable they must be lazy!
Im doing computer science. Well loads of people there are doing media when i spoke to the people in the societies i joined such as japanese, tai chi etc) they all (well most of them) doing media so has international reputation. well anyway good luck at warwick
I had 7 hours of lectures in first year but also another 2 or 3 hours a week of tutorials. This year I have 10 hours of lectures and some more for tutorials. So it's pretty normal:yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending