The Student Room Group

I need some help and advise from actual people and not websites!!

I'm 20 yrs old and work 28 hours a week, i am also a mum and want to do my A level maths so i can think about getting into university before its too late for me to change my career and study optons. I was thinking about doing a home learning course to fit the studying around my commitments. Has anyone gone down this route and would you recommend it?? Please help :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Anyone??
L-JDG21
Anyone??

I would personally find it hard to do A Level maths on my own but it's within every possibility...you'd need to find an exam board that would let you enter as a private candidate then talk to a school that you could travel to to let you take the exam there.

Ideally, to get the best grade you can, I would recommend looking at doing the one A Level in maths at a local college, many of which offer the subject on a part time basis, again, phone your local colleges as it may not be too late to enrol for this academic year

good luck :smile:
yup but i gues itl be hard a uni with a kid...
Reply 4
Tbh I'd look into doing an access course I did mine on a part time basis (2 evenings a week- 3 hours each), so very manageable.

Just a thought as you didn't mention any other a levels and you are unlikely to have enough UCAS points for your course on one A level alone
Reply 5
thanks for your comments its so useful to get advise off people rather than the opinions of websites rather than facts, i will look into doing an access course,

with the open uni they offer different courses in maths that would equal enough points to do a degree in BA honours in economics and mathematics does anyone recommend going through them or has anyone heard any horror stories
Reply 6
x_muneeb_x
yup but i gues itl be hard a uni with a kid...

which is why im trying to look at all the options available to me hes 2 so its only another 2yrs till he goes to school then i would have more time to study but i dont know if i can wait that long because what i want to train for takes 3-6 years!!!
Reply 7
laurakate1988
I would personally find it hard to do A Level maths on my own but it's within every possibility...you'd need to find an exam board that would let you enter as a private candidate then talk to a school that you could travel to to let you take the exam there.

Ideally, to get the best grade you can, I would recommend looking at doing the one A Level in maths at a local college, many of which offer the subject on a part time basis, again, phone your local colleges as it may not be too late to enrol for this academic year

good luck :smile:

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 8
L-JDG21
thanks for your comments its so useful to get advise off people rather than the opinions of websites rather than facts, i will look into doing an access course,

with the open uni they offer different courses in maths that would equal enough points to do a degree in BA honours in economics and mathematics does anyone recommend going through them or has anyone heard any horror stories

A friend of mine (were 22 so only just older than you) tried OU and didnt like it and has gone on to do the access this year her main problems were really she didnt HAVE to get a babysitter so was easily distracted and to be honest not organised enough However on the same note my brother did an OU course and enjoyed it but he has no children and no work commitments. So maybe it could work for you it would just depend on how you organise yourself I guess

Good luck though! :wink:
Reply 9
this is a website....and we are fake people :P
Reply 10
smiler123
A friend of mine (were 22 so only just older than you) tried OU and didnt like it and has gone on to do the access this year her main problems were really she didnt HAVE to get a babysitter so was easily distracted and to be honest not organised enough However on the same note my brother did an OU course and enjoyed it but he has no children and no work commitments. So maybe it could work for you it would just depend on how you organise yourself I guess

Good luck though! :wink:

Thankyou i'll research them a bit more and have a look again at what my local college is offering me, when i first looked though there was nothing suitable for my situation which is why i started looking elsewhere, i am very motivated but my work n home life is demanding just trying to think of a better future for us will have to have a long think
:smile:
Reply 11
L-JDG21
Thankyou i'll research them a bit more and have a look again at what my local college is offering me, when i first looked though there was nothing suitable for my situation which is why i started looking elsewhere, i am very motivated but my work n home life is demanding just trying to think of a better future for us will have to have a long think
:smile:

I cant tell you much about OU as I've never done it only what I've been told but if you want any advice on the access just message me and I'd be happy to help you out with anything on that note

I done a humanities access but Im pretty sure they will all involve a maths-eng-sci

Latest

Trending

Trending