The Student Room Group

Medicine into PGCE

Hi guys! I'm currently studying medicine at uni (in my 4th year so qualified 2025). I've started to become a bit jaded and honestly not 100% sure that I want to be a doctor at this point. Looking back, I can't actually think of the reasons why I wanted to in the first place, I just kind of ran with it at 16. Since doing med, I've discovered a real love of teaching and am seriously considering doing a PGCE in secondary biology once I finish this degree. Was just wondering whether anyone had any experience in this? I'm not even sure if it's possible to do a PGCE with a med degree, there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Pls help! x
Original post by lottieEM
Hi guys! I'm currently studying medicine at uni (in my 4th year so qualified 2025). I've started to become a bit jaded and honestly not 100% sure that I want to be a doctor at this point. Looking back, I can't actually think of the reasons why I wanted to in the first place, I just kind of ran with it at 16. Since doing med, I've discovered a real love of teaching and am seriously considering doing a PGCE in secondary biology once I finish this degree. Was just wondering whether anyone had any experience in this? I'm not even sure if it's possible to do a PGCE with a med degree, there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Pls help! x

Good morning @lottieEM,

Lovely to learn that you are considering teaching as a profession.

The eligibility for teacher training (a one year postgraduate course, in your case) is L4 and above GCSEs in English and Maths (plus Science for primary), and a 2:2 (or above) degree. Where a degree is not completely relevant to the subject the candidate wishes to teach, course providers will consider A-Levels and experience. There are also SKE (Subject Knowledge Enhancement) courses for select subject areas, that a teacher training course provider would put a candidate through, in the event that they decide there is a need for improved subject knowledge.

Get Into Teaching is a free and impartial service that helps individuals explore teaching as a career, to get 'application ready' and to apply (including personal statement guidance and interview preparation). All advisers are experienced former teachers so even if you don't get me(!) you'll be certain to get the best support posisble from one of my esteemed colleagues. The support is very much tailored to you / the individual's needs. For yourself, in the first instance, it might be useful to get some classroom experience so you are able to make informed choices and decisions but your adviser will discuss this with you personally.

I hope this information is of some use, and should you wish to request support from an adviser you can click here or visit the Get Into Teaching website.

Best wishes,
Tom

My a level biology teacher actually studied dentistry and then decided to pursue becoming a teacher! Your medicine degree will have enough content needed and im sure one of your a levels would have been biology! Just email some unis to make sure xx
Reply 3

whaaaaat? you'll walk onto any pgce you want with a med degree.
Nice to know I'm not the only one considering this. I think you should be all good if you want to teach biology. If need be you could always do an SKE for one of your other A-Level subjects.
Reply 5

You should finish your Med degree or at least do more investigation about pay and work load of teachers. I know that a doctor's workload is intense but the pay is much more than a teacher's pay. Also, being a teacher also has a lot of downside with student behavior. Call a local school and ask to shadow a teacher in the subject area you are considering to see what the school environment is like.
Original post by teacherann

You should finish your Med degree or at least do more investigation about pay and work load of teachers. I know that a doctor's workload is intense but the pay is much more than a teacher's pay. Also, being a teacher also has a lot of downside with student behavior. Call a local school and ask to shadow a teacher in the subject area you are considering to see what the school environment is like.

I’m a student in a comprehensive school, and I can collaborate your comment. You have to be prepared for classes that will make you reconsider teaching, it’s great if the students listen but you will come across students that won’t care and actively go against you; being ungrateful for all the work you have done for them. I’ve had teachers who have fully quit the profession in half a year due to the horrid conditions teachers sadly have to face.

But get a class that are actually invested in learning then all of the above goes out of the window. Main point is that what you expect is never a given. Also marking tests and homework is expected to be done outside school (at least where I go!). Pretty much taking your work home with you.

Here are my 2 pence on the matter. Hope it’s somewhat helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending