The Student Room Group
Reply 1
katieann
Just started as Access Course!!! First assignment already given out for English oral discussion, for & against ive been given "should smoking be banned in public" Anyone ever done anything like this coz im a nervous wreck. Didnt think id get something as daunting after being there just 1 week.

The Access course is intensive. Listen and pay attention to advice from your tutors and you'll be fine. You've been given the chance to prove yourself and in all honesty: they wouldn't have let you onto the course if they didn't feel you were up to the mark.

It's tricky to begin with, but after a while your hard-work begins to pay off when you start getting back your work and seeing that you are actually intelligent and that nothing is impossible without a bit of hard-work?

If you're really stuck; I would recommend emailing your tutor for some advice/ words of reassurance? If not, just take a deep breath and go at it with all your might. I'll let you into another tip: try making a few friends - it helps discussing details with them outside of the classroom. It worked for me.

Hope this helps,

=)
Reply 2
Thanx for ur words of encouragement, its gr8t comfort. Though I thought for the 1st week been given an oral presentation debate to prepare, my topic being "should smoking be banned in public places" a bit scary. At the moment im trying to find a wesite to help with info, structure, layout etc. All the other students appear to be alot more confident, but im going to give it a try. Once again many thanx Katieann:smile:
Reply 3
Try this http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=1534&topic=all
I found it useful when I gave my first presentation. It is a little daunting, but better if you are well prepared.
Reply 4
Pt40
Try this http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=1534&topic=all
I found it useful when I gave my first presentation. It is a little daunting, but better if you are well prepared.

Thanks for the link, i haven't got my presentation to do yet, but i know it's coming, and it is very helpful. But i guess if it's well planned and rehearsed then it shouldn't be such a mountain to climb.

Thanks again.
I remember how challenging the Access course was, we had 12-14 assignments/exams per term!

You could look on the government statistics website and mention some stats of how many people are affected by passive smoking and use this as part of the introduction, as to why people wanted it banned. Also, look at the stats of how it has affected pub business and look at how profits have been affected etc.

Hope that helps a little. Getting your first essay out the way is the most daunting. Maybe you could write out some bullet points, then make an appointment for a tutorial to check you are going in the right direction?

My tutors were so supportive and really did want their students to do well. A far cry from my life at uni!

Best of luck!
katieann
Just started as Access Course!!! First assignment already given out for English oral discussion, for & against ive been given "should smoking be banned in public" Anyone ever done anything like this coz im a nervous wreck. Didnt think id get something as daunting after being there just 1 week.

aww the fond memories of Access katieann.I seem to remember that i might have done something slighty similar on a Course.Have you been given any references or websites to use for your first assignment? katieann let me know:yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending