The Student Room Group

Transferring to a different university

So this has been in my mind for a while now and a lot of my personal circumstances are changing requiring me to move cities.

Currently in 2nd Year Uni studying a 3 year course and on track with a 2:1. I wanted to transfer for third year into a different university and wanted to know if this is possible.

I have also considered maybe re doing 2nd year if i do not get transferred into 3rd year. I was just wondering whats the situation with student finance and would i get that extra year of funding.

I studied an Engineering degree with a foundation year and dropped out as a close family member had passed away which required me to move back home. Then I re joined uni in September and now am in second year. This is my third year of claiming Student finance.

Would I be able to get another year if i did re take 2nd year at this new uni.

This would in total mean 5 years of Finance for the whole degree.
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't think you will get funded for another year - you usually get the course length plus 1 and it sounds like you have already used the plus 1?
It is unlikely you would be able to transfer into 3rd year - transferring into 2nd year is hard enough.
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
I don't think you will get funded for another year - you usually get the course length plus 1 and it sounds like you have already used the plus 1?
It is unlikely you would be able to transfer into 3rd year - transferring into 2nd year is hard enough.

Well yeah technically the plus 1 has been used on the foundation year i did however i wasn’t sure if the plus 1 is just used for that specific course as that course was 4 years and i did 1 year which was the foundation year then switched to a new course which is 3 years surely this wouldn’t have effect the plus 1 or would that be removed from the previous course funding? not too sure myself

Thats a bummer was hoping it worked out, really don’t want to drop out of uni but the personal circumstances leave me no choice other than moving cities. I do plan on finishing the year 2 and it would be the same course hence why i was wondering. Would unis be more considerate to personal circumstances?
The challenge is finding a course that has covered the same in years 1 and 2 as yours has and is prepared to take you into yr 3.
To be honest 3rd year transfers are extremely uncommon in the UK. Even a 2nd year transfer would have limited options. I would recommend reading the Transfer FAQ at the top of this section.
(edited 1 year ago)
Can you provide evidence of bereavement being the reason you left your foundation?
Compelling Personal Reasons can be used to provide additional years of funding.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Can you provide evidence of bereavement being the reason you left your foundation?

Yeah so I do have a death certificate which would of been at the start of term 2. I did hear this somewhere else too just wasn’t sure it would work.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
To be honest 3rd year transfers are extremely uncommon in the UK. Even a 2nd year transfer would have limited options. I would recommend reading the Transfer FAQ at the top of this section.

thats a bummer, ill try call admissions office and see but I really did want to continue studies and wouldn’t mind re doing 2nd year but the modules aren’t exactly the same they differ slightly
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

Hi, I am also thinking of transferring (into second year not third year) as a re-do. Will I still get funding for the last 2 years of my degree?
If not, how do I go about appealing with a 'compelling personal reason' to Student Finance?
Original post by miniiiiiii
Hi, I am also thinking of transferring (into second year not third year) as a re-do. Will I still get funding for the last 2 years of my degree?
If not, how do I go about appealing with a 'compelling personal reason' to Student Finance?

How many years of previous study do you have?
How long is the course you're hoping to transfer into yr 2 of?
Original post by PQ
How many years of previous study do you have?
How long is the course you're hoping to transfer into yr 2 of?

I have 2 years of previous study, but only fully completed the 1st year with a 1st class. The course i'm trying to transfer into is 3 years (4 if I apply for placement which I am also considering- depending on the funding). I am hoping to transfer into the 2nd year of that course.
Original post by miniiiiiii
I have 2 years of previous study, but only fully completed the 1st year with a 1st class. The course i'm trying to transfer into is 3 years (4 if I apply for placement which I am also considering- depending on the funding). I am hoping to transfer into the 2nd year of that course.

If you have 2 years previous study then you wouldn’t be funded for year 1 of a new course (regardless of length) - transferring into year 2 would mean you’d be fully funded as long as you didn’t need to repeat any further years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending