The Student Room Group

Worried I won't get in - Help!

First year I only took Two As's as I had a lot of sporting commitments and my work didnt come first then.

Second year I carried on the two subjects but picked up an As too.

I got Maths - A (A2) Psychology - B (A2) Economics (B) (As)

This year I am doing economics A2 plus retakes to get it to an A, and further maths As and A2 (Self-taught)

Have i got a chance to get into decent Unis for Maths and Economics joint honour degree?

When i say good Uni, i don't mean Oxford, Warwick etc

I mean Exeter, Southampton, maybe Bristol...

Thanks
Reply 1
No replies :frown:
Reply 2
Well?
Reply 3
(I didnt get any replies when i posted a thread last week so your not the only one!)

What i suggest is that you e-mail the universities you are interested in and ask them directly as only they can say what they will and won't accept.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
I think you should just apply next year with your final grades, then you would have a better chance of getting into the better unis. You could just work next year instead or do some kind of apprenticeship for something you're interested in, then you could put that on your ucas application aswell.
Reply 5
Ok thanks for replies so far :smile:

If i apply for Unis in November, is it then possible to change my options in March when my January results come through.

As by then, I should have Maths A Economics A (As) and Further Maths A/B (As) and then explain the situation...
So by March you are hoping to have:

Maths: A
Psychology: B
Economics: A/B
Further Maths: a/b

And I assume you'd then take the rest of your Further maths exams in June and get the results for them in August: So in August you'd actually have Four full A levels? Maybe AAAB or AABB?

You could easily get into a top uni with those. (Including Warwick perhaps)

You can't change your options in March, the unis you apply to in November are your official applications and by march they will have already given you offers!

You don't need to "explain the situation" - You can put a sentence or so in your Personal statement if you really want to, or your teacher would explain in their reference on your UCAS form. You'd simply apply with Maths A, Psychology B, and your Economics and Further maths grades pending but predicted A/B from your teacher.

Alternatively, you could take a year out (to work or get work experience, or travel etc) and apply with AAAB/AABB after you've achieved everything. If you feel it'd improve your chances.
Reply 7
screenager2004
So by March you are hoping to have:

Maths: A
Psychology: B
Economics: A/B
Further Maths: a/b

And I assume you'd then take the rest of your Further maths exams in June and get the results for them in August: So in August you'd actually have Four full A levels? Maybe AAAB or AABB?

You could easily get into a top uni with those. (Including Warwick perhaps)

You can't change your options in March, the unis you apply to in November are your official applications and by march they will have already given you offers!

You don't need to "explain the situation" - You can put a sentence or so in your Personal statement if you really want to, or your teacher would explain in their reference on your UCAS form. You'd simply apply with Maths A, Psychology B, and your Economics and Further maths grades pending but predicted A/B from your teacher.

Alternatively, you could take a year out (to work or get work experience, or travel etc) and apply with AAAB/AABB after you've achieved everything. If you feel it'd improve your chances.

Yes thankyou.

I am confident of meeting conditional offers of say AAAB or AABB but just worried I won't be given a chance because of doing it over three years, and only having two A2 levels when applying...
Macceroot
Yes thankyou.

I am confident of meeting conditional offers of say AAAB or AABB but just worried I won't be given a chance because of doing it over three years, and only having two A2 levels when applying...

I think you should arrange to sit down and have a chat with your tutor (whoever does your UCAS form at school) and ask about what grades you are predicted and whether its worth mentioning why they were done over three years, and if it is, whether you put it in your PS or whether your teacher will take care of it in their reference.

I don't think that doing them over three years will hurt your application at all, and even if it did, that would easily be overridden by the impressive fact that you taught yourself Further Maths!

Think of it this way: when most people apply, they have NO A levels! Just predicted grades! So only having two won't be a disadvantage to you, you are fine!
Reply 9
screenager2004
I think you should arrange to sit down and have a chat with your tutor (whoever does your UCAS form at school) and ask about what grades you are predicted and whether its worth mentioning why they were done over three years, and if it is, whether you put it in your PS or whether your teacher will take care of it in their reference.

I don't think that doing them over three years will hurt your application at all, and even if it did, that would easily be overridden by the impressive fact that you taught yourself Further Maths!

Think of it this way: when most people apply, they have NO A levels! Just predicted grades! So only having two won't be a disadvantage to you, you are fine!

Ok thanks. Well I have spoken to my Economics teacher (who happens to be the head of sixth form) and I am being predicted an A in economics.

Further Maths I need to sort out, as I can't really be given an accurate prediciton from a teacher...

Latest

Trending

Trending