The Student Room Group

HELP! Are My A Levels Too Random?

I've just picked my A Levels and I'm worried they're too random to get into university.
I've picked A level Biology, Psychology and Business.
I guess they're not TOO crazy as a combo, but people at my school who picked Bio often also picked Chem/Maths and Business people do Maths/Comp Sci.
I just picked ones I liked and was interested in, but now I'm a bit worried.
Recently I've looked into being a Dental Hygienist - but I'm worried I won't be accepted as I won't have Chemistry, even though it's not mandatory. Any thoughts from people at uni etc? Any advice welcome. Thanks!!
You were right to pick ones you like and are interested in. If chemistry isn't mandatory to Dental Hygiene then you should get rejected because of it. You can go to College to do extra A Levels and access courses to allow access to certain courses.
Original post by ros11
I've just picked my A Levels and I'm worried they're too random to get into university.
I guess they're not TOO crazy as a combo, but people at my school who picked Bio often also picked Chem/Maths and Business people do Maths/Comp Sci.
Recently I've looked into being a Dental Hygienist - but I'm worried I won't be accepted as I won't have Chemistry, even though it's not mandatory. Any thoughts from people at uni etc? Any advice welcome. Thanks!!

Those subjects arent that random. Biology and psychology go together.
Its good that you have picked subjects that you enjoy and are interested in. If you are interested in them and enjoy them then you are likely to do better in them.
If chemistry isnt mandatory to become a dental hygienist then you will be fine.
No, you can mention how business helped you understand how dentistry aids society and the economy somewhere on your personal statement & highlighted some of the financial side of it. I've gone into Biology with just Business Biology and History. While applying I did get an offer from Cardiff Uni with those subjects for Biological science if that helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ros11

Heya!
Biology and psychology usually go together well :h: If the uni entry requirements state that chem isn't mandatory then I believe you should be fine. They do usually state if something is mandatory. If they ask for two sciences including bio, then do check if they consider psychology a science as some unis do consider it while others might not. You can use unicompare to check some entry requirements as well.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by Amb/conf
You were right to pick ones you like and are interested in. If chemistry isn't mandatory to Dental Hygiene then you should get rejected because of it. You can go to College to do extra A Levels and access courses to allow access to certain courses.

okay, that's really helpful - thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Pengwyn<3
No, you can mention how business helped you understand how dentistry aids society and the economy somewhere on your personal statement & highlighted some of the financial side of it. I've gone into Biology with just Business Biology and History. While applying I did get an offer from Cardiff Uni with those subjects for Biological science if that helps.

that's true, I guess business would be useful in terms of working within a dental practice etc - nice to know you got into uni with those a levels - hope it goes well (if you havent finished uni yet I mean). thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Biology and psychology usually go together well :h: If the uni entry requirements state that chem isn't mandatory then I believe you should be fine. They do usually state if something is mandatory. If they ask for two sciences including bio, then do check if they consider psychology a science as some unis do consider it while others might not. You can use unicompare to check some entry requirements as well.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

oh okk - thanks for letting me know - I'll look at entry requirements more closely:smile:
Original post by ros11

I know it’s a late reply but you think that is random? Try a language + art + social science combo. 🙃

Quick Reply

Latest